Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 09:00 PM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times

Advertisements

https://www.foxbusiness.com/retail/d...r-weak-results

Their five year history shows they are on life support. Great move guys. Maybe try and sell more yoga pants?

SPORTING GOODS means stuff like out of doors hunting, fishing, shooting, camping not yoga mats. Oh well.

Last edited by 1AngryTaxPayer; 08-30-2018 at 09:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 11:09 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
Just read about this on another site. The assault rifles ban was a really obtuse move on the CEO's part. You really have to examine and know your base. Making an emotion-based drastic decision like that after a tragedy will always reap havoc.

Old 08-31-2018, 06:50 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
I never knew Dicks Sporting goods EVER sold ANY assault rifles?

Id like to see some sales receipts from previous years, for guns like AK47s, MAC10s, UZIs, etc

Old 08-31-2018, 06:59 AM

17,002 posts, read 12,583,387 times
Lesson 1. Just do such decisions quietly.
Lesson 2. Keep political poo out of your company.
Lesson 3. Never try to please people who do not buy from your company

Yes, I know, many of those making the most noise never bought there anyway and are just making noise. My point is, keep politics out of your store. Sales are sales and a $20 bill from a gun nut and antifa freak are the same.

Old 08-31-2018, 07:16 AM

24,456 posts, read 17,203,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Lesson 1. Just do such decisions quietly.
Lesson 2. Keep political poo out of your company.
Lesson 3. Never try to please people who do not buy from your company

Yes, I know, many of those making the most noise never bought there anyway and are just making noise. My point is, keep politics out of your store. Sales are sales and a $20 bill from a gun nut and antifa freak are the same.

Well said.

I don't recall my local Dick's selling AR15's but since they came out with their political stance to stop selling them and took it is step further by destroying the ones they had I stopped going in to their stores for camping, fishing and water sport boating gear.

The thing is the SJW Left are a bunch of loons that would have boycotted and picketed the stores to force them to stop selling the guns.

I highly doubt that the protesters would ever actually enter the store except maybe to use the bathroom...

There was a push by the SJW's to force Walmart to stop selling guns because by their logic a store shouldn't be selling weapons that kill kids and be selling diapers and formula.. BIG UGH.

With that being said I don't think the boycott of Dick's by the Pro Gun people has too much to do with their financial trouble but it certainly isn't helping their bottom line.

Old 08-31-2018, 07:28 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times
As much as I want to say their political stance is to blame for their slump in sales, I think online retailers are what have really hurt them most. This quarter's earnings will probably give a better idea of the impact with youth football starting up. I know they can't hang their hat on youth football alone but, they most likely sell a LOT of related gear and it would show.

About the only thing I would buy from Dick's anymore is 12ga if it goes on sale enough to buy a few thousand.

Old 08-31-2018, 07:29 AM

45,203 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Looks like the CEO gambled and lost. So it goes with capitalism

Old 08-31-2018, 07:33 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
As much as I want to say their political stance is to blame for their slump in sales, I think online retailers are what have really hurt them most. This quarter's earnings will probably give a better idea of the impact with youth football starting up. I know they can't hang their hat on youth football alone but, they most likely sell a LOT of related gear and it would show.

About the only thing I would buy from Dick's anymore is 12ga if it goes on sale enough to buy a few thousand.
Exactly, it is a little overpriced, but so are most sporting goods stores. Dick's try to be a youth sports store, but it isn't the only one and is a little too expensive.

Old 08-31-2018, 07:36 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,060,434 times
Interesting. First, pull a political stunt - true integrity would support stopping gun sales, quietly -, then blaming a key supplier for poor results. Management grasping or gasping?

Old 08-31-2018, 07:38 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,174,626 times
Sounds like they're not too worried about it and don't plan to change their policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies