Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 10:05 AM

2,684 posts, read 6,887,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post

Now.. I am FORCED to inhale some nicotine junkies smoke because they want the right to "smoke".

Oh.. that and I don't have to worry about my son inhaling that junk too!
No one is forcing you to go into a restaurant that allows smoking, go to Applebees instead. Don't take your son out to smoking establishments. I know, I know personal responsibity sucks doesn't it.

I personally don't like my son to see people with bad teeth, therefore a law should be put in place that you must have proper dental hygiene before you enter any establishment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 10:10 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,013,113 times
Smoking ban is NOT saying you can't smoke. or have the right to smoke.. BUT you remove MY RIGHT NOT TO when you puff your cigarette in the same space I breath in..

So smoke your cigarettes.. go right ahead and put that junk in your own body... no one's stopping you..

But do it in your own home (where your walls will be yellow and the stench of cigarettes will be in every nook and cranny).. in your own car (which will reak horribly) or outside.. where there is more "clean'" air than air infected with your cigarettes.

For a long time the non smokeres freedom to choose NOT to smoke has been taken away by those that smoke.. Now. they can still smoke and we can still breath clean air in public.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:12 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times
Quote:
Smoking ban is NOT saying you can't smoke. or have the right to smoke.. BUT you remove MY RIGHT NOT TO when you puff your cigarette in the same space I breath in..

So smoke your cigarettes.. go right ahead and put that junk in your own body... no one's stopping you..

But do it in your own home (where your walls will be yellow and the stench of cigarettes will be in every nook and cranny).. in your own car (which will reak horribly) or outside.. where there is more "clean'" air than air infected with your cigarettes.

For a long time the non smokeres freedom to choose NOT to smoke has been taken away by those that smoke.. Now. they can still smoke and we can still breath clean air in public.
Right on!!!!!!

Old 02-19-2008, 10:12 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,013,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
No one is forcing you to go into a restaurant that allows smoking, go to Applebees instead. Don't take your son out to smoking establishments. I know, I know personal responsibity sucks doesn't it.

I personally don't like my son to see people with bad teeth, therefore a law should be put in place that you must have proper dental hygiene before you enter any establishment.

so.. I should not enjoy my favorite Italian restaurant and food forever because i dont want to be expoesd to cigarettes.

While banning smoking in a restaurant only stops you from smoking in that 1 or 2 hours your in there.. if I listend to what you say I'd have to NEVER set foot in that restaurant again..

Why can't you eat your food then when you leave and go to your car..smoke your cancer stick.. this way I can enjoy the food in that restuarant and YOU can enjoy your cancers stick later..

Old 02-19-2008, 10:13 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Don't the people vote on these bans in each city?
Many times they don't. Often it is the city council that votes and passes it through. Sometimes though, the issue will be open for discussion and concerned citizens can petition against the action and the council can take that into consideration before they vote.

In a small town I lived in California, it was "supposed" to work that way and the often tried to feign that they were considering it, but most of the time the council does whatever it likes.

We once had a tree ordinance that was being voted on in our city. A large percentage of the city showed up to protest, petition grievances, and object to this measure. The council closed down the meeting to which they claimed they would reschedule to accommodate the large crowds. What they actually did was to hold a private meeting the next day and voted it through anyway. If thats representation, then hanging an official is a promotion.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:15 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Your air? So you own the air in the business that you go to? Do you own the business? What RIGHT do you have to tell them how to run their business? Do you have to be there? Can you not make a decision to go somewhere else or are you so tied up with yourself that you think everything in the world revolves around catering to you personally? Your air? Thats a good one. I suppose we are using your internet as well?
Thats pretty hysterical, its a figure of speech. I should and everyone else should be able to breath clean air. If you want smoke and die earlier then you would have otherwise then be my guest but your not going to take me with you. The reality is there are more of US (non smokers) then there are of you. Thats why there are smoking bans all over the place.

Smoking is an addiction, the fact that people will go to these lengths to keep it up speaks volumes of just how addicting it is.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:15 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post

Don't you understand? You are to cater to them. You have no rights, your only right is to cater to the "wants" and "demands" of those who want their way. If you don't, they will throw themselves to the ground while they scream and kick till they get their way. Sound familiar?

Old 02-19-2008, 10:16 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Considering that smoking is just about the largest public health problem in the US as well as being extremely irritating to non-smokers I consider regulating or banning it in restraunts, bars and other public spaces to be completely reasonable.
I totally agree. I LOVE that smoking is now banned in my area in restaraunts, bars, beaches. Even the city of Calabasas, CA (LA County) has banned smoking outside in public places (park, shopping centers, restaraunt and coffee house patios). I love it. Some places are considering banning smoking inside of apartment buildings. You will not be able to smoke inside your own apartment because the smoke/toxins/poisons could still get into neighboring units.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:17 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasNootz View Post
There's a difference between public and private institutions. Why shouldn't a private establishment be allowed to decide for itself what it will allow? As a consumer you could decide not to allow your air to be tainted by avoiding the establishment. If you're not strong-willed enough to go against your peer pressure and say that you don't want to go to XYZ Bar because they allow smoking, that's your problem.

If the private swimming pool had a sign that clearly read "Urinating Welcome", and you chose to swim in that pool, you'd enter knowing that there's a risk that you may cross a warm current.
It's true there are some arbitrary things being done here. Part of it has been objectuons from employees (barmaids, bartenders, etc) forced to work in smoky conditions. It's like any other 'social' legislation. I SHOULD be able to ride my "chopper" without a helmet. But if I end up paralyzed, YOU (society) have to support me, forever..therefore, you 'step in', and legally FORCE me to 'take care of myself'...is it arbitrary? Sure it is....almost ALL laws are. No question about it.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:18 AM

2,684 posts, read 6,887,702 times
Quote:
so.. I should not enjoy my favorite Italian restaurant and food forever because i dont want to be expoesd to cigarettes.

While banning smoking in a restaurant only stops you from smoking in that 1 or 2 hours your in there.. if I listend to what you say I'd have to NEVER set foot in that restaurant again..

Why can't you eat your food then when you leave and go to your car..smoke your cancer stick.. this way I can enjoy the food in that restuarant and YOU can enjoy your cancers stick later..
I'm not a smoker for one thing, but I stay away from smoking restaurants. I have enough respect for private property rights not to force my nonsmoking will on others. I do not allow smoking in my house or my car. If I owned a restaurant I would not allow smoking. But if Joe Bob caters to a smoking crowd, then he can allow smoking in the establishment that he owns, not you. If you don't like it go elsewhere. If your favorite restaurant allows smoking, too bad, cry me a river. The world does not revolve around you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies