Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 03:05 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,166 posts, read 13,455,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
So another myth bites the dust.

https://nypost.com/2018/08/30/americ...ass-shootings/

"Lankford’s (the man who claimed the US lead the world) study reported that over the 47 years there were 90 public mass shooters in the United States and 202 in the rest of world. Lankford hasn’t released his list of shootings or even the number of cases by country or year. We and others, both in academia and the media, have asked Lankford for his list, only to be declined. He has also declined to provide lists of the news sources and languages he used to compile his list of cases.

These omissions are important because Lankford’s entire conclusion would fall apart if he undercounted foreign cases due to lack of news coverage and language barriers.

Lankford cites a 2012 New York Police Department report which he claims is “nearly comprehensive in its coverage of recent decades.” He also says he supplemented the data and followed “the same data collection methodology employed by the NYPD.” But the NYPD report warns that its own researchers “limited [their] Internet searches to English-language sites, creating a strong sampling bias against international incidents,” and thus under-count foreign mass shootings."

Also,

"Of the 86 countries where we have identified mass public shootings, the US ranks 56th per capita in its rate of attacks and 61st in mass public shooting murder rate. Norway, Finland, Switzerland and Russia all have at least 45 percent higher rates of murder from mass public shootings than the United States."

So, the US ranks 56th out of 86. Even in the civilized world the US not first.
More rubbish from discredited John Lott. Lott is a laughing stock in the UK.

Lott was heavily involved with Fox and in terms of the so called independent Crime Prevention Research Center, it was set up by Lock himself and he still runs it, and uses it to put across skewed inaccurate statistics and other nonsense.

As for this study, it's again rubbish based on ommiting most US Gun massacres, and using one incident in places like Norway.

The GOP's favorite gun 'academic' is a fraud – ThinkProgress

The Nine Worst Claims About Guns From John Lott's New Book

The bogus claims of the NRA's favorite social scientist, debunked - Vox

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-01-2018 at 03:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2018, 06:48 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
How many more guns do we need to start being safer? It doesn't seem like we're there yet.
I certainly don’t have enough guns. I never will. Looking to buy a functional anti-tank gun.

Old 09-01-2018, 07:13 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,521,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I certainly don’t have enough guns. I never will. Looking to buy a functional anti-tank gun.
Good luck with that. be sure to post pictures!

Old 09-01-2018, 11:14 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,386,497 times
Quote:
I guess that would mow down a few people and a few houses with it. No need to rent a van and plow into a crowd. You don't even have to leave your house, just sit on your porch and let the gun take control.

Old 09-01-2018, 11:57 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
I guess that would mow down a few people and a few houses with it. No need to rent a van and plow into a crowd. You don't even have to leave your house, just sit on your porch and let the gun take control.
LOL
Guns can't take control... They're inanimate objects...

Old 09-02-2018, 04:25 AM

435 posts, read 176,048 times
It is absolutely shocking that a far right gun focused group would come to these conclusions.

I like how the article uses murder rate from mass shootings

"Norway, Finland, Switzerland and Russia all have at least 45 percent higher rates of murder from mass public shootings than the United States."

Well since the US has a ton more non mass shooting murders than 3 of those countries to begin with as well as a much larger population, yeah, I would assume that murders from mass shootings would be a higher percentage of their murders there.

Also hilarious is the notion that guns deter mass shooters. Most mass shooters go into it wanting to die.

Old 09-02-2018, 10:41 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cofor View Post
Also hilarious is the notion that guns deter mass shooters. Most mass shooters go into it wanting to die.
Do you see where the scumbags target? Gun free zones mainly schools and churches... Take as many innocent people as quickly as possible to either be dealt with by police or do themselves in like cowards to avoid jail/punishment.

Strange how all of the 3 gun events and shooting ranges I attend, no mass shootings...They most certainly do deter mass shooters when the odds are greatly stacked against them...

Old 09-02-2018, 11:32 AM

435 posts, read 176,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Do you see where the scumbags target? Gun free zones mainly schools and churches... Take as many innocent people as quickly as possible to either be dealt with by police or do themselves in like cowards to avoid jail/punishment.

Strange how all of the 3 gun events and shooting ranges I attend, no mass shootings...They most certainly do deter mass shooters when the odds are greatly stacked against them...
Yeah, they target symbolic places where people gather and that they have a connection to or grievance against. The church in Texas was not a gun free zone. The college campus in Oregon was not a gun free zone. If a kid wants to target his classmates, or has a general grievance about how he was treated in an institution, where do you suppose he is going to take out that revenge? My guess is that institution.

No offense, and this is no commentary on the value of your life vs someone else's, but if a shooting range was shot up, it would not have the same heart wrenching 'violation of safety' feeling to the general public. Some on the fringe would probably mock the irony of the politics of the dead, and blame them for their own deaths. They did it when Chris Kyle and his friend were killed at a firing range.

Outside of schools and churches. I don't think the Las Vegas shooter was concerned about anyone having a gun down below.

I'm pro cc, I just don't see any evidence that mass shooters or people who want to do damage choose a target because it is gun free.

Is it really that strange that there have been no mass shootings at the shooting range you attend? I have lived my entire life in many places and never encountered a mass shooting. I have never found it strange.

Old 09-02-2018, 12:01 PM

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times
Quote:
Those wet pops you heard were liberal heads exploding and what passed for brains were oozing out.
I thought the sound of poos were heads being pulled out of places. Who knew?

Old 09-02-2018, 12:05 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,368,395 times
Quote:
Those wet pops you heard were liberal heads exploding and what passed for brains were oozing out.
Naw, they'll just ignore the facts and continue with their fantasy of banning guns for safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies