Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2018, 11:32 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
There is a huge difference in supporting different political candidates and advocating for the right to oppress and harm others.

Call it logic by analogy.

Quote:

I am genuinely curious about what "brilliant" presentations of sexual harassment you would proffer as valid.

No presentations but I have seen over the past few years that when people try to offer their point of view that is not in agreement with "the big picture", they are shouted down, men are told they are mansplaining, they are told their view point is invalid.

In my case for the most part, I have taken the attitude of being quiet, going else where, and let those of the big picture ...... "then die in ignorance".

Power to those who stand up and express their opinion despite the opposition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2018, 11:32 AM

2,483 posts, read 2,474,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
But I sure know how it's been to be a woman, and I don't like that truth and reality of the experience to be denied either.
You're certainly right about that.

As an older brother of a sister who had to deal with stupid harassment, I have zero tolerance for it. So I can only partially relate only tangentially to what it's like.

On that there isn't much daylight between us and I suspect many in this thread. Except maybe the auto guy.

Old 09-01-2018, 11:41 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,337,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninglikethieves View Post
/Thread

Sucks I can't rep you, it seems like it's been a while. Guess I'm not ''Spreading it around'' enough, huh?

Seriously. If you're that paranoid about getting caught up in a sexual harassment/assault scandal, then you either have a guilty conscience or need to see your doctor to something to control your anxiety. Or you're just using it as an easy excuse to talk yourself out of asking women out, because you've never really asked them out or approached them before it all started, anyway.
I think these are the obvious answers when these types of meetoo complaints come up on the internet.

You hear guys that complain they can no longer compliment women at the workplace without being reported to HR, ergo, receiving a "stain" on their work record . These are men that know they habitually cross the line with their unwanted sexual compliments. Nobody is getting reported to HR for a nice innocent compliment, and nobody is calling the police if innocently complimented in public, or even being catcalled for that matter. That's just ridiculous. And we all know it.

Side note: I never got the "you look nice today" compliment at work. To me its a backhanded compliment. What, I didn't look good yesterday, the day before or last week when you didn't compliment me? Lol

Old 09-01-2018, 11:43 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Call it logic by analogy.
So ... not actually logic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
No presentations but I have seen over the past few years that when people try to offer their point of view that is not in agreement with "the big picture", they are shouted down, men are told they are mansplaining, they are told their view point is invalid.

In my case for the most part, I have taken the attitude of being quiet, going else where, and let those of the big picture ...... "then die in ignorance".

Power to those who stand up and express their opinion despite the opposition.
This is not about disagreement. This is about clearly defined right and wrong. It's about abuse and objectification and it happens in every industry, in every political party and every socioeconomic class. And yes, it happens to men too. I just never imagined I would see you so diligently championing people who are simply wrong.

Old 09-01-2018, 11:45 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times
This topic to me seems to be just another whining topic about socially inept men not being able to get dates, and then blaming it all on the women who are "denying" them.

The solution is not to find places to place the blame. Rather, men who are having problems getting dates should just start a topic here in the forum and explain their situation and ask for help. The problem is that the men who need help have their fingers firmly stuck in their ears, or palms covering eyes. They are just too crude to understand the sensitivities in dealing with women, so they mess up their dealings too often to get anywhere.

As far as the workplace, just don't poach in your workplace. That dispenses with all of the harassment concerns.

I just have no sympathy for men who can't get dates and blame it on women, or #metoo or any other cause, instead of realizing that the fault lies within.

Men, get a little bit of sensitivity training and learn the lessons and use them. Or just figure it out like I did. When women get mad at you there must be a good reason. Figure out what you did and don't do that again.

Old 09-01-2018, 11:46 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
This is just sick. The implied threat - if women don't let bullies say whatever they want and muscle in inappropriately like the old days, we'll never get a date again - is just ill. It's not something a normally adjusted man would think of. It's an implied threat. Let us do whatever the hell we want or we won't even speak to you. Like the rapey football dude in high school used to sneer at the lonely ugly girl (probably still happens, actually) so he could get a little and then laugh with his buddies about it. It gives me the shivers.

Old 09-01-2018, 11:49 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post

As an older brother of a sister who had to deal with stupid harassment, I have zero tolerance for it. So I can only partially relate only tangentially to what it's like.

Can't you?

Where in your life have you had to deal with harassment because you were different?

Did you have a speech impairment growing up, where people thought you were mentally retarded, had an artificial tongue?

Were you a goody two shoes who would never do anything wrong and lacked the ability to defend yourself?

Did you lag behind the others in social development, for whatever reason, and then were the target of their tormenting, them finding ways, in your possessions to display for public humiliation?

Perhaps you were still a virgin and your classmates were "trying to get you set up" to change that?

Or you were in a structure society where you did not toe the party line and marched to the beat of a different drummer, where upper class men came down on your comrades and asked what was your problem?

Where Ensigns tried to hand cuff you to a locker because in the games of the Navy, you were fair game......tried to until they found out the potential for how dangerous that might be.

That's been my life and the point is, it is not really sexual harassment, I was just a target that could be picked on.........

............until I developed the skills that I am currently in possession of.

Quote:
On that there isn't much daylight between us and I suspect many in this thread. Except maybe the auto guy.

Isn't there?

Old 09-01-2018, 12:01 PM

10,342 posts, read 5,864,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post

The auto guy doesn't have the humility to understand that I could have possibly moved myself with my own truck. I didn't heft a full sized couch across the street on my back, I didn't wish for the help of the 2 men watching and condescendinly smiling because they hoped I would fail, (you know bc I must be some kind of feminist, right?).

It is because might no longer makes right if I have a brain. I put the couch on it's end on a flat bed hand cart, pulled it, I leaned it all the way into the truck bed. I figured out how to do that with everything until I was done. Then I did it all again when I got to my 10th floor apt. I used the freight elevator.

If anyone looks like they need my help, I'm inclined to offer. I'd feel like crap, just watching.

I know I will never be around to see true equality of humans, but big steps are really impressive to me.

Old 09-01-2018, 12:03 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times

MeToo movement is not appropriate for the Relationship forum.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Last edited by Mikala43; 09-01-2018 at 04:04 PM..

Old 09-02-2018, 01:26 AM

82 posts, read 78,921 times
This is dumb. Men still hit on women. If your a woman and your not getting hit on it could be due to a number of reasons but most likely it’s because your not attractive not because men are afraid of the current socio/political climate or because men are shy. I have said it once and I will say it again if a man is truly interested in a woman/finds her attractive then even the most shy of guys will find a way to approach her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies