Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 01:34 PM

2,448 posts, read 894,251 times

Advertisements

That's the standard? How does a speeder in another state affect your life? How does sex trafficking in India affect your life?

Old 09-01-2018, 01:35 PM

10,234 posts, read 6,322,066 times
Background info. I was raised in Greenwich Village in the 50's and 60's. My Catholic Elementary School was down the street from the Stonewall Inn. I remember their windows being painted black so the police would not raid them. My Aunt was divorced, gay, and raised my Cousin with her "Roommate". My family were very accepting of gays. My husband's family was similar.

We have two daughters; straight, and gay. My younger, straight daughter married nine years ago and has two young sons. My older, gay daughter married two years ago, and her wife is expecting their first child in March. How has gay marriage impacted my life? My older daughter can now marry the person she loves, unlike my Aunt who tried to live a LIE because that is what society then expected of her. Each of my daughters can now marry the person they love.

Religion? Although my younger daughter married in the Catholic Church (purely for show), she and her husband are non-religious, and haven't been in a church since. Neither of their sons were baptized.

My older daughter was married by a justice of the peace, and is far more religious than her younger sister, or ME. She and her wife are searching for a church which is gay friendly, and they want to baptize their child. Granny could care less. How they raise their own children is their choice alone, especially when it comes to religion.

Old 09-01-2018, 01:48 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I think if they accept federal funding, they should not be allowed to turn them down.

If they are a private religious group solely running the housing with no federal or state assistance then they can exclude those who don't practice what they are preaching.
I agree.

I am a supporter for LGBTQ rights. However, if they are a private religious or even business entity, I believe they have a right to determine what services/goods they offer. The way I look at it, LGBTQ community simply wants to be left alone to live their lives as they see fit... In the same way, individuals in that community need to understand that private entities and individuals also simply want to be left alone a live their lives/operate their business as they see fit.

Homosexual marriage has impacted my life. There are people in my life that have finally found happiness in their lives and free to celebrate that together. Knowing that brings a certain level of happiness into my life as well.

Old 09-01-2018, 01:58 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
How does homosexual marriage impact your life? Remember that selling point from the homosexuals and their advocates? Well, it does affect other people.

The refusal was based on the fact that Friendship Village's "cohabitation policy" limits those who can live together in the same unit to spouses, parents, children and siblings. Although Walsh and Nance are legally married, Friendship Village's policy defines marriage as "the union of one man and one woman, as marriage is understood in the Bible."

https://www.christianpost.com/news/l...tation-226953/
Everything you do affects other people.

When you take a dump in the morning (in a sewer system) it affects others....when you consume your first cup of coffee in the morning, or your laundry, etc. it affects people.

What about someone who knows that Churches are based on superstition? Doesn't it affect their day to drive by a bunch of them? Imagine if we all had to drive by "Houses of Devil w/Chicken Sacrifices" signs each day - many times....it would upset a lot of us, right? I'm a life long vegetarian....should I be exposed to meat constantly - the smell, the sight, etc.? It offends me.

I am terribly upset by sexist billboards. Hooters upsets me.

There are thousands of things that upset millions of people.

In terms of cases like you mention, I will give you a big fat surprise. It's not my business and not worthwhile for me to study it. I'm sure that the people involved, the courts and the law will work it out. The very idea that we should all get involved in every possible situation so that your snowflake doesn't melt by being near a lesbian....is ridiculous.

The Beatles wrote a song once - Let it Be. Good Advice.

Old 09-01-2018, 02:04 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Polygamy and pedophilia are illegal, for good reason.

False equivalency.

If same-sex marriage is fine, why not polygamy?

And since we are constantly reminded by the same-sex marriage crowd that marriage is not simply about sex, why can't I marry my brother and just not **** him?

Why is it anyone else's business who I marry or why I marry them?

Old 09-01-2018, 02:05 PM

482 posts, read 242,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I would suggest that there are even more straight people just as hard to get along with. Their reasons or "excuses" are simply different.
Because there's more straight people, but homosexuals are more difficult to get along with on average IMO. It's not even close. They complain more than middle aged women from my experience.

No thanks

Old 09-01-2018, 02:07 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
If same-sex marriage is fine, why not polygamy?
Gee, as long as we're making fruit salad, if same-sex marriage is fine, why not driving 150mph on the interstate?

Old 09-01-2018, 02:20 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
How does homosexual marriage impact your life? Remember that selling point from the homosexuals and their advocates? Well, it does affect other people.
Of course it does. Gay marriage added a new member to my extended family, my wonderful brother-in-law.

Old 09-01-2018, 02:24 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider99 View Post
Because there's more straight people, but homosexuals are more difficult to get along with on average IMO. It's not even close. They complain more than middle aged women from my experience.

No thanks
Wow, ageist and misogynist, too??

Old 09-01-2018, 02:35 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Conferring marriage status on gay unions, conferred tax benefits and tax payer supported benefits that they didn't deserve. That's the main way it affected others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies