Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 10:28 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,087,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
https://globalnews.ca/news/4416126/c...-milton-video/

Where’s PETA?

I didn’t post the video. I’ve seen it. Cows head is moving and he is blinking.

Disgusting.
Hmmm looks like you are into videos - have you seen some of the animal cruelty videos in the slaughter houses operated and owned by non-Muslims ? There are quite a few on Youtube.

Let’s see how many can you watch and how many threads are you going to open about it?

There is another too in Spain (no it’s not bullfighting) - in a yearly festival where they throw a live goat from the top of tower, thousands watch and chant in joy when the poor animal gets its bones and legs broken as it slams over the concrete surface 10’s of stories below and dies in agony. And yeah - they are Christians, by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 10:40 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,210 times
I disagree so strongly with the barbaric practice of halal meat preparation, I stopped raising two species that are popular with those who practice it.

I believe that method is in violation of US standards for animal slaughter.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:14 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
I disagree so strongly with the barbaric practice of halal meat preparation, I stopped raising two species that are popular with those who practice it.

I believe that method is in violation of US standards for animal slaughter.
Kosher is the same thing.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:14 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,034,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
They are not going to do a forensic autopsy on the cow.
That would be Udderly incredible if they did!!

Old 09-09-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
And you now this by the fact that over 3 million of them (with close to 4 thousand mosques) living and practicing their religion in your country are causing you grief?

Bru- in my time here I think I can count on 1 hand the times I've EVER disagreed with you. I also must add that when we visited my brother in the Twin Cities and their VERY high Somali Muslim population, he said what I noticed: of ALL the different groups in Minneapolis, the group that has always treated him, his wife, and now us, with respect, courtesy, decency, politeness, are the Somalis.
Here at home, our neighbors and close friends who invited us into their home, and accepted our invite into ours, who's kids are excellent with our furkids, are also Muslim. Wonderful people who's friendship we treasure!
But even with that, I still feel radical Islam is a VERY real concern, as well as violence commuted by ANYONE and that includes refugees. Our neighbors actually share our concerns.
Are all Muslims bad? Of course not. But even if 99.9% are like our friends, there is real concern over the .1% of 2 billion or so. We ALL agree here that no one should be treated poorly just because of their faith, but they should NOT be immune to ANY valid concerns or criticism because of it either- aka appeasement, so long as everyone is treated fair and equal.
You KNOW if crazed Mennonites were going around punching non Mennonites, they'd be called out on it, and rightfully so. So WHY is it considered bad form to address Muslims who TRULY behave poorly?
Ive seen it here, our Muslim friends have seen it" as have my brother- yet God forbid we even discuss it.
Why do so many want to deny the possibilities that Muslims- like ANY other faith, has bad actors in with the mostly good?

Old 09-09-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Hmmm looks like you are into videos - have you seen some of the animal cruelty videos in the slaughter houses operated and owned by non-Muslims ? There are quite a few on Youtube.

Let’s see how many can you watch and how many threads are you going to open about it?

There is another too in Spain (no it’s not bullfighting) - in a yearly festival where they throw a live goat from the top of tower, thousands watch and chant in joy when the poor animal gets its bones and legs broken as it slams over the concrete surface 10’s of stories below and dies in agony. And yeah - they are Christians, by the way.
I despise bullfighting and don't eat ANY meat that isn't humanely raised and harvested.
But just because bullfighting exists and meat plants are awful, does that mean no one can be outraged over Muslim animal cruelty?
Animal cruelty is despicable no matter who does it-yet it's ok to despise it when done by non Muslims but by Allah no one Damn well better be upset or critical when Muslims do it, right??
Why are you so defensive towards them?

Old 09-09-2018, 09:12 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
Guys, if you are not Muslim, please please avoid halal meat if possible. Without going into detail, the way they slaughter the animals is horrific...animal welfare is not a priority, only religious "cleanliness".

Old 09-09-2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Guys, if you are not Muslim, please please avoid halal meat if possible. Without going into detail, the way they slaughter the animals is horrific...animal welfare is not a priority, only religious "cleanliness".
Kosher is the same and it is in part based on being humane. The most humane way to kill an animal when their laws were written was the most excellent knife, used only by a person of great skill, cutting a particular way so as to make the death as quick and painless as possible.

The laws were written before stunning devices were invented. Jews will NOT accept stunning, they cling to the letter of the law rather than the intent. Most modern Muslims will accept stunning, valuing the intent of the law (humane) over the actual method prescribed two thousand years ago.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:41 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Halal butchering does not permit any animal to be skinned alive. Nor does it forbid stunning the animal.

Halal requires any animal to be killed with a clean sever of the jugular vein, windpipe, and carotid artery in a single swipe of the blade, followed immediately by draining all the blood.
But there is nothing in the law that forbids the animal to be killed by stunning if it is immediately followed by the above procedure. The object is to make the animal's flesh as clean as possible. Skinning alive would make an animal far to dirty to eat safely.

While I have never butchered a cow this way, I have butchered sheep by exactly the same method.
I didn't know it was the same method used in Halal butchery, though.
I just used a very sharp pocketknife that was freshly honed, but some other preparations need to be done first.

The animal dies extremely fast, in no more than a few seconds. The sheep is immediately hoisted, and the blood drains out before they know they've been cut. With no blood pressure, the heart stops in just a few beats and it's over.

Once they are dead, the skinning begins. Once skinned, the carcass is opened, cleaned and quartered. A sheep can be processed in about an hour or less by two men who know what they're doing.

I learned how from my uncle, who learned from my grandfather, and the method must be as old as time, as it is merciful, fast, clean, and efficient. Cattle would require more time because they are larger, but they would die just as quickly.

Skinning any live creature would be extremely difficult and very dangerous. No animal would not put up a hard fight as soon as a blade slipped under its skin. Even predators don't try to do that to kill prey.

As soon as I read the title to this post, I knew it was utter nonsense. Halal is just the way people have been butchering their dinner since the stone age. All it takes is a sharp blade and some rope and a couple of tree limbs strong enough to make a hoist. Kosher butchering laws are very similar. Local butchers are very similar.

"Civilized" man has forgotten all this, but any packing plant is just an industrialized, dirtier version of this procedure.

Verify, people! I found this in about 2 seconds doing a search for halal butchering. Don't fall for BS so quickly!

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...ughter-involve

Last edited by banjomike; 09-09-2018 at 10:51 PM..

Old 09-09-2018, 11:08 PM

It's not about 'defending Muslims', it's about defending facts. If one is going to find fault with any religious meat, it should be Jewish Kosher. Or both equally among the % of Muslims who still do it the same way as the Jews. It's. The. Same.Thing. However, most Muslims will accept the more humane method and Jews will not.

contrary to what many assume, most animals killed by halal methods are stunned before slaughter. FSA estimates suggest that 88% of animals in the UK killed by halal methods were stunned beforehand in a way that many Muslims find religiously acceptable.

The Jewish method of slaughter called shechita cannot involve pre-slaughter stunning at all.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...ughter-involve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies