Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 11:51 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,139,459 times

Advertisements

If Trump wants to help, increase the max we can put in since 18,5 is too low. How about 8k more? Yes I know about catch up contributions, but more is needed on top of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 01:54 AM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
If Trump wants to help, increase the max we can put in since 18,5 is too low. How about 8k more? Yes I know about catch up contributions, but more is needed on top of that.
18,5? Is that 18,500?

Old 09-02-2018, 02:38 AM

33,532 posts, read 37,132,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
“A lot of baby boomers still are still working at 70-and-a-half. You’re going to pay your regular tax on your income and then you’re going to pay a fortune on the money that’s had to come out of your 401(k) And your IRA. Varney said if Trump raises the age to between 72 and 75, older retirees will be able to save more money and it will send out a ripple effect to the 55 million Americans with 401(k)’s and the 30 million people who have an IRA.

At the moment 401(k)’s are pretty much restricted to major corporations, big companies. The President wants to extend that to groups of small companies. Another very good move,” Varney said. “Extending pension planning and pension money to a larger group of people.”

Video makes it easier to understand:
Trump’s Executive Order Helps Baby Boomers Save For Retirement Tax-Free, Says Stuart Varney | The Daily Caller
The Daily Caller is a strongly right leaning news and opinion website that has been involved with publishing controversial and false stories.

Old 09-02-2018, 04:58 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,902,831 times
Tax deferred, not tax free.

Old 09-02-2018, 05:27 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,656,633 times
I'm confused about the small business thing.

I worked for a company with 25 employees and my employer had a 401K plan with matching, so what is this about small businesses not offering 401K plans.

Second, I agree with the poster above: they should lift the cap on what you can put into the account as tax deferred. I already do the max plus the catch up but I could do more. Since I'm not allowed to open another Roth or retirement account, I am just shoving money in lower interest places. It'd be nice if I could add more to the 401K.

Old 09-02-2018, 06:39 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
At the moment 401(k)’s are pretty much restricted to major corporations, big companies. The President wants to extend that to groups of small companies. Another very good move,” Varney said. “Extending pension planning and pension money to a larger group of people.”
Nah, I had 401K, even when I was a 1-man company, and the max contribution limit was $54K.

Old 09-02-2018, 06:45 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
The executive order doesn't make any change. It's to "look at changing" the rules.

Really doesn't make a difference. If you haven't saved enough by then, you're not going to. If you're still working and have a big 401k, you're doing so because you like working.
Presidents no longer want to put out the effort to actually pass things they support. They simply want to talk EO's which as we see are not worth anything after they leave. Trump will be no different if he even does anything.

The thread title states this like it is something he has done. It is not. Trump is very good on being on television. He is lousy at leading.

Old 09-02-2018, 06:55 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Speaking of SBA , I look at small businesses for sale and have noticed recently a lot more say SBA loans are available on them . Before it was rare .
Definitely seems a lot more since Trump became President
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/dodd-fr...-banking-regs/.

Partial roll back of Dodd-Frank regulations.

I would think you would have known this.

As with any deregulation -- some praise and some criticism.

For me -- this roll back (which was as close to bi-partisan as we will ever see these days) combined with an economy that has been doing well for 8 years create a healthy climate for banks to loan to smaller businesses.

Old 09-02-2018, 07:00 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Quote:
“A lot of baby boomers still are still working at 70-and-a-half. You’re going to pay your regular tax on your income and then you’re going to pay a fortune on the money that’s had to come out of your 401(k) And your IRA. Varney said if Trump raises the age to between 72 and 75, older retirees will be able to save more money and it will send out a ripple effect to the 55 million Americans with 401(k)’s and the 30 million people who have an IRA.

Video makes it easier to understand:
Trump’s Executive Order Helps Baby Boomers Save For Retirement Tax-Free, Says Stuart Varney | The Daily Caller
Helping out smaller companies to provide 401K was part of a bi-partisan bill from 2016. It was stalled because they ran out of time. Sure has taken along time to get back on track but here it is.

https://www.napa-net.org/news/techni...rected-senate/

Old 09-02-2018, 07:42 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
one thing about the baby boomers was, in the 60,70 and early 80, alot of companys had great pension plans, now its pretty much just teachers, police/fire and government workers that get paid till they die. The big companies plans are gone. beside everybody needs a new 50k pickup every two years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies