Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 08:01 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Thanks. That's really, really interesting about Nixon, since he wasn't a particularly revered figure at the time of his death. I assume you know you're in the minority in considering Nixon so wonderful, although he's looked on a little more favorably with recent developments.
I recall an amount of "Ding dong, the witch is dead" sentiment during Nixon's funeral. Nixon was a real comeback kid, and there was worry he would somehow re-enter the political arena once more up to the time he died.

The thing about Nixon and McCain is both were military officers, both war veterans, and both were very prominent in the party politics and in national politics. The combination is becoming increasingly rare now.

But, with a younger generation of vets now going into politics, I expect in time there will be young vets who follow similar paths as McCain's.

Old 09-01-2018, 08:01 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,381,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
To my surprise, I don't see a thread already about the funeral yet. I watched, mostly because I was curious about the Bush/Obama speeches. But - as you know if you watched - Meghan McCain's eulogy was wonderful - heartfelt, impassioned, and memorable.

It's been interesting learning more about him in the last several days. Two of the things that keep coming up, in stark contrast to Trump, are examples of his wide range of friends, and of his fairly modest demeanor - a willingness to admit mistakes and failures. I was startled at all the anti-Trump subtext, but it was carefully held in check.

I was never a McCain fan myself, but I've certainly come to think better of him in recent years. I'm trying to remember if there was anything similar in recent years in terms of broadcast coverage ... Ted Kennedy?
The so called mainstream media is playing this up because of the Trump/McCain feud. They have now anointed McCain a saint because he opposed Trump.

In truth McCain and the rest of the elites in Washington oppose Trump because they were afraid Trump would clean up their corruption and cut off their money grubbing hands.

Old 09-01-2018, 08:05 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Good grief they need to just bury the man. I've not seen a funeral like this since probably JFK.

Was McCain a good man, yes. Did he deserve 7 days of this type of ceremony? No.

Old 09-01-2018, 08:09 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,844,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
The so called mainstream media is playing this up because of the Trump/McCain feud. They have now anointed McCain a saint because he opposed Trump.

In truth McCain and the rest of the elites in Washington oppose Trump because they were afraid Trump would clean up their corruption and cut off their money grubbing hands.
The truth in a nutshell!

Old 09-01-2018, 08:10 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
The mold of respectability for funerals has been broken and opens up new possibilities.

Can't wait for Bill Clinton's passing.

The naked pinup pops out of a cake that resembles the WH.

Passes out cigars. Waves a blue dress over her head and yells, ride em cowboy.

Then everyone will talk about integrity b/c that was the reminder we needed.
All that and he still has more integrity that the treasonous adulterer currently squatting in the WH.

Huh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Good grief they need to just bury the man. I've not seen a funeral like this since probably JFK.

Was McCain a good man, yes. Did he deserve 7 days of this type of ceremony? No.
Well, 7 days is a lot.

I think it was more than just McCain. I think it was the ending of that type of patriotic, service-oriented Republican.

Old 09-01-2018, 08:14 PM

32,066 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:

The Trump administration is the corruption and full of it.

Old 09-01-2018, 08:15 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,381,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
The Trump administration is the corruption and full of it.
Links?

Old 09-01-2018, 08:15 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
The best part was watching the honor guard carry the casket. Those guys were in such precision and kept it completely horizontal. That was fun to watch.

Old 09-01-2018, 08:18 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Whoa, take it easy! I didn't intend to offend you in any way by what I wrote. You are jumping to lots of incorrect conclusions.

I am an American and was in high school and college in the 1960s. I am in my seventies now. Hardly too young to remember, and I am very well educated, thank you very much.

The majority of Americans had television in both 1963 and 1968. A growing number of Americans had color television by 1968. The coverage of both Kennedy brothers' funerals was via live television, aka "live feed". "Live feed" IS live television. Perhaps you interpret that term differently than I used it.

I was sixteen when President Kennedy died, and twenty when RFK was assassinated. I watched the coverage of both of their funerals, which was broadcast live on all three American networks, ABC, CBS, and NBC. I cannot recall which network(s) I watched - with my family, the first in my home with my parents and the latter with my parents and grandmother, whom we were visiting in another state when RFK was killed.

Other relatives who lived in the same town dropped by during the following days as well, as they typically did, national tragedy or not. They all had their own televisions at home, so they did not come to my grandmother's house just to watch TV, but to be together with my grandmother plus other occasionally seen family members (my parents and me) during a very sad and shocking time for all Americans.

I never indicated that I thought you, other Canadians, or anyone else of other nationalities failed to be grieved by these American tragedies and I have no idea how or why you got that impression. People representing many other nations attended the Kennedy funerals and were welcomed by Americans who shared their grief.

I believe you owe me an apology. Several, in fact.
I don't know what triggered all of that, but it seems like she may have confused the phrase 'live feed' (which I took to mean live tv, and not pre-recorded), with live stream.

Old 09-01-2018, 08:18 PM

32,066 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Links?
Why do you need links. Do you not follow the news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies