Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 04:55 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,143,346 times

Advertisements

To my surprise, I don't see a thread already about the funeral yet. I watched, mostly because I was curious about the Bush/Obama speeches. But - as you know if you watched - Meghan McCain's eulogy was wonderful - heartfelt, impassioned, and memorable.

It's been interesting learning more about him in the last several days. Two of the things that keep coming up, in stark contrast to Trump, are examples of his wide range of friends, and of his fairly modest demeanor - a willingness to admit mistakes and failures. I was startled at all the anti-Trump subtext, but it was carefully held in check.

I was never a McCain fan myself, but I've certainly come to think better of him in recent years. I'm trying to remember if there was anything similar in recent years in terms of broadcast coverage ... Ted Kennedy?

Old 09-01-2018, 05:28 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,131,452 times
This was the biggest send off since Richard Nixon in 1994. There was total media saturation and obsession over every detail from the day of his death up to and including the funeral, which was a media circus. They interviewed everyone who had a Nixon story to tell, and they were O'plenty. The Russians fought over who was going to attend, as seats were limited and many foreign leaders wanted to attend. Thousands upon thousands of people lined up to view his casket, the public viewing lasted a couple days and it was beautiful to see all those people turn up for him. I miss him so much, and all the wonderful things he did for America and the world.

Nixon's funeral was the only one bigger, with even more coverage than McCain's. Reagan should have had a great send off like this too, but it was kinda lackluster compared to what we saw for McCain today. Sarah Palin not being there was an outrage. No Joe The Plumber either, that was kind of a jip.

Old 09-01-2018, 05:51 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,143,346 times
Thanks. That's really, really interesting about Nixon, since he wasn't a particularly revered figure at the time of his death. I assume you know you're in the minority in considering Nixon so wonderful, although he's looked on a little more favorably with recent developments.

Old 09-01-2018, 05:54 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
To my surprise, I don't see a thread already about the funeral yet. I watched, mostly because I was curious about the Bush/Obama speeches. But - as you know if you watched - Meghan McCain's eulogy was wonderful - heartfelt, impassioned, and memorable.

It's been interesting learning more about him in the last several days. Two of the things that keep coming up, in stark contrast to Trump, are examples of his wide range of friends, and of his fairly modest demeanor - a willingness to admit mistakes and failures. I was startled at all the anti-Trump subtext, but it was carefully held in check.

I was never a McCain fan myself, but I've certainly come to think better of him in recent years. I'm trying to remember if there was anything similar in recent years in terms of broadcast coverage ... Ted Kennedy?
Aha...…... and there we have it. The real reason.

Another chance to make a political point on the death of someone.

The clowns won't being dying fast enough for people to keep up the good works.

Naturally no other threads are taking about this same crap so lets start one.

Refreshingly New !!!

Last edited by phma; 09-01-2018 at 06:10 PM..

Old 09-01-2018, 05:59 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Aha...…... and there we have it. The real reason.

Another chance to make a political point on the death of someone.

The clowns won't being dying fast enough for people to keep up the good works.
TDS knows no bounds.

Old 09-01-2018, 06:00 PM

8,498 posts, read 4,563,867 times
Ted Kennedy's funeral was a pretty big deal as well for a senator. Since Nixon, died, we also had the Ford and Reagan funerals which were big.

Old 09-01-2018, 06:04 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Ted Kennedy's funeral was a pretty big deal as well for a senator. Since Nixon, died, we also had the Ford and Reagan funerals which were big.
The mold of respectability for funerals has been broken and opens up new possibilities.

Can't wait for Bill Clinton's passing.

The naked pinup pops out of a cake that resembles the WH.

Passes out cigars. Waves a blue dress over her head and yells, ride em cowboy.

Then everyone will talk about integrity b/c that was the reminder we needed.

Old 09-01-2018, 06:11 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
Ted Kennedy's funeral certainly had a similar feel to it, but I was never a Teddy fan and was always a big fan of John McCain. Unfortunately I missed most of it today, as I had to work.

It seems to me, but apparently not to the majority of Americans, if McCain had won his bid for the Presidency against Obama, we'd be living in a more friendly nation right now. He's one of the few politicians who could work both sides of the isle. We need more of that. He was one of my all-time favorite national politicians.

Old 09-01-2018, 06:12 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,073,569 times
Considering McCain planned all this pomp and circumstance for himself, I would hardly say that he had a "fairly modest demeanor".

I find both funerals this week repulsive, and not because of the politics. Changing a dead woman's clothes 6 times? Five or so different ceremonies for McCain? Somehow this all strikes me as vulgar.

Old 09-01-2018, 06:14 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,131,452 times
They gave Nixon & McCain this kind of coverage because both of these men are people they have defeated in battle. For McCain it was the '08 election in which they carved him up like a Thanksgiving turkey, and for Nixon it was watergate and his resignation in 1974. These were big wins for them, so they feel good about puffing them up at the end when it don't matter and won't cost them anything to glorify them. They also get off on having been able to exert so much control over a senior republican war hero, and be invited to speak at his funeral. All this was just a show to snub Trump, which is another reason they gave McCain such a nice send off. Reagan scared the hell out of them so he never got this kind of coverage for his funeral. Another thing, to be honest, McCain and Nixon were interesting to the public, and held the public's attention. 5 years in a POW camp is quite a nice way to start a political career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies