Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 10:10 AM

2,448 posts, read 888,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Not political but definitely controversial!
It becomes political, depending on whom is committing the crime. Over the past year, we have been treated to more and more voices from the media and academia instructing us to "stop calling the police on black people."

I'd be happy to post the articles, by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 10:16 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,077,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
They become political when half the population wants to clap as thieves steal rather than stopping them and throwing them in jail.
fake news

Old 09-02-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
It becomes political, depending on whom is committing the crime. Over the past year, we have been treated to more and more voices from the media and academia instructing us to "stop calling the police on black people."

I'd be happy to post the articles, by the way.
It's unfortunate that you missed the point of that.

Old 09-02-2018, 10:24 AM

2,448 posts, read 888,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
It's unfortunate that you missed the point of that.
Didn't miss a thing. I'm not addressing how they spin this sentiment, I'm referencing the intent and consequence of it.

BTW, following through on it will hurt black folks more than anyone.

Old 09-02-2018, 10:43 AM

30,030 posts, read 11,623,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I work for a large gas station/ convenience store chain, we have ALOT of shoplifting, but the company did a study on this years ago and found it does not effect P&L that significantly, which made them change their policy on busting shoplifters, now, all a manager can do is ask the thief to leave the store, cannot call police on them, even with fuel drive offs, they can only take down the plate number and refuse to serve them if they come in again.

Then again, for us, the things that are shoplifted are low cost items, chips, soda, cigarettes, cigars, etc. I could see how this would be a larger problem when its more expensive products.

Plus, we have different contracts with vendors that supply our products, many of the contracts factor in SHRINK/LOSS, and the vendor agrees to 'eat' a percentage of this, like with Altria (Marlboro), the contract we have with them covers a certain percentage of stolen packs, so it doesnt effect the store at all.

The problem with changing your policy is that shoplifters know this and target stores where they know they will not be arrested. That will increase shoplifting in your companies stores.

I was talking to a security person at a chain store whose job took him to all the locations in my town. They also changed their policy a couple years back where they let the shoplifters go once they exit the front door. And the same shoplifters go to each store in the chain with little fear. And shoplifting has increased sharply.

Old 09-02-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

This guy was confronted by employees of the supermarket, for stealing a full cart full of meat.
He looks like he is addicted to food!! and cannot pay for his habit!

Great video all I can say is too bad fat boy did not hit his head when fat boy hit the ground.

Old 09-02-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
Stupid workers, exposing themselves to violence and possible lawsuit for 10$ an hour. And it may be even against company policy.

I would say they are loyal employees going above and beyond. They should all get a raise.

Old 09-02-2018, 12:49 PM

25,482 posts, read 18,612,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
fake news
Nothing fake about people excusing thieves. Look through some of the threads around here.

Old 09-02-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Nothing fake about people excusing thieves. Look through some of the threads around here.
Burden of proof is on you.

Old 09-02-2018, 01:05 PM

29,198 posts, read 22,263,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Sooo you load up your cart with groceries, walk out the door in broad daylight and expect to not be confronted?

That is pretty brazen.

By the looks of the guy he has probably been a bully his entire life that likes to throw his weight around.

It was funny when he fell.

I do wonder what happened next. Were the Police called? Did the employees get reprimanded for confronting the guy?
Did the fat guy file a slip and fall law suit against the grocer and the parking lot owner?
The kid who pushed him didn't look like an employee. He looked more like a bystander (possibly a store customer) to me.
Watch closely. The young guy just observed the goings-on for a second, saw the employees were in trouble, and did something to help them. And then left.

It didn't take much of a push to knock the wind out of that fat guy, for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies