Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 07:36 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,094,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
That said, I wonder if Mueller's report will be issued prior to this election anyway.

New people are still popping up and pleading guilty.

Trump's long-time accountant, his former WH Counsel, his former personal attorney, and the publisher of the National Enquirer, claiming a safe full of Trump secrets, are all talking with the Special Counsel prosecutors.

Manafort was seeking a plea deal. Reportedly, talks have broken down. But who knows, really?

Lot of new information to plow through. New dots to connect. This will take a while.

Scrutiny is Trump’s kryptonite and this business of keeping the Mueller report under wraps is likely just the start of a slew of nonsense from the ever-more-frantic Trump and the ridiculous Giuliani.
The report is in Mueller's hands. What's to stop him from releasing it whenever he sees fit? Ghouliani? Ha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 07:45 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,698,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
The report is in Mueller's hands. What's to stop him from releasing it whenever he sees fit?
I'd imagine that since Mueller was appointed by Rod Rosenstein, the report first goes to him. Jeff Sessions, as the head of the Justice Department, would likely get the report next (maybe, since he recused himself, maybe he doesn't get a say in the release of the report).

However, it sort of depends on if the President gets any say on whether the report is released. I suppose the President could give direction to the Justice Department to do so. However, I don't think they necessarily have to acquiesce to the President's demands. Remember, the Justice Department is supposed to act independently of the Executive Branch.

But, the political norms are out the window right now.

If I had to guess, Rosenstein gets the call on whether to release it. Considering that Rosenstein is in charge of the Special Counsel (aka, Mueller Investigation) and he was appointed by President Trump - he likely will do the "right thing." So far, that's what he has been doing. I know President Trump thinks that all Republicans should simply do his bidding, thus far, Rosenstein has allowed the Mueller Investigation to continue even though he a Republican-appointed Deputy Attorney General. In theory, his loyalty should be to the country and to doing his job to the best of his ability and not to the President.

Therefore, I'd assume that Rosenstein would simply release the report then.

However, I think we are jumping the gun with the report. It likely won't be done before the mid-terms. Sounds like there is some shenanigans going on with Trump always saying "I'll meet with Mueller" but his lawyers preventing it. Trump gets the benefit of saying he'll do it but he has no intention of doing so. Mueller would probably want to see Trump's side of the story and corroborate Trump's story with witnesses if possible.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:22 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,559,995 times
How does Rudy find the time for these interviews with all the work he does for foreign governments?

Old 09-04-2018, 08:35 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Lightbulb Giuliani Says They May Try to Keep Mueller Report From Being Released to Public

<sniff>

You can just smell the scent of conspiracy.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:38 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,094,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
I'd imagine that since Mueller was appointed by Rod Rosenstein, the report first goes to him. Jeff Sessions, as the head of the Justice Department, would likely get the report next (maybe, since he recused himself, maybe he doesn't get a say in the release of the report).

However, it sort of depends on if the President gets any say on whether the report is released. I suppose the President could give direction to the Justice Department to do so. However, I don't think they necessarily have to acquiesce to the President's demands. Remember, the Justice Department is supposed to act independently of the Executive Branch.

If I had to guess, Rosenstein gets the call on whether to release it. Considering that Rosenstein is in charge of the Special Counsel (aka, Mueller Investigation) and he was appointed by President Trump - he likely will do the "right thing." So far, that's what he has been doing. I know President Trump thinks that all Republicans should simply do his bidding, thus far, Rosenstein has allowed the Mueller Investigation to continue even though he a Republican-appointed Deputy Attorney General. In theory, his loyalty should be to the country and to doing his job to the best of his ability and not to the President.

However, I think we are jumping the gun with the report. It likely won't be done before the mid-terms. Sounds like there is some shenanigans going on with Trump always saying "I'll meet with Mueller" but his lawyers preventing it. Trump gets the benefit of saying he'll do it but he has no intention of doing so. Mueller would probably want to see Trump's side of the story and corroborate Trump's story with witnesses if possible.
Yes, probably Rosenstein's call. And everything I've seen with Rosenstein indicates he's a straight arrow and will go by the book. He's definitely not Trump's lackey.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:39 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Seems to me Trump would want Mueller's report exonerating him published immediately. If it was me, I'd be offering to share the cost of publishing and distribution so that everyone knew I was completely innocent of any wrongdoing.

Why would he want such great news kept secret?
Modesty? Humility?

Old 09-04-2018, 08:43 AM

37,169 posts, read 19,194,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post

It almost certainly won't. Manafort's trial is coming up, and the charges he will be tried on will include Russia and how they fit into the picture. Jury selection starts on the 17th, and IIRC, the trial itself starts on the 27th. The Prosecution has said ti will take 10-12 trial days to present it's case. They have 1,500-2,000 exhibits to be shown and a judge who is amenable to them taking their time and doing a thorough job.

If the Defense doesn't simply decline to present a case, we are still mid-October before the Prosecution rests. Then the Defense, and then it goes to the jury for deliberation. It may be pushing Halloween before they reach a decision, which is one week before the Midterms. The outcome of the Midterms will cue Mueller as to the direction his efforts need to follow. I think his first action following the election will be to unseal the next batch of indictments, which may include members of the Trump family.

Either way, the rest of this year is going to be a lot more interesting than television and football.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:44 AM

37,169 posts, read 19,194,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Modesty? Humility?

Could be. Or possibly he's afraid of being misunderstood.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:49 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,455,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Time and again, Trump and his worshippers ask where is Mueller's report. Now Giuliani is saying they may move to keep all or the most damaging parts from being released to the public. When told that this would then go to Rosenstein to release it, Giuliani said there are ways to address that.

So why is Trump trying to keep voters from knowing what was found in the investigation their tax dollars pay for?

What is Trump trying to hide?
Republicans are challenged by truth. It does not start nor end here with this investigation.

Republicans do not want the CDC to research gun violence.

Republicans do not want the EPA to make use of scientific research.

Republicans did not want anyone to see their tax 'reform' plan before voting on it.

Republicans do not want the majority of public records on judge Kavenaugh released for scrutiny.

Republicans do not even want product labeling, and always oppose improvements to that regulation. Republicans do not want the public informed, and make efforts to misinform when it is to their advantage.

Republicans do not lead, they manipulate.

This is, and has been, the modus operandi of the Republican party for many decades.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:55 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
It almost certainly won't. Manafort's trial is coming up, and the charges he will be tried on will include Russia and how they fit into the picture. Jury selection starts on the 17th, and IIRC, the trial itself starts on the 27th. The Prosecution has said ti will take 10-12 trial days to present it's case. They have 1,500-2,000 exhibits to be shown and a judge who is amenable to them taking their time and doing a thorough job.

If the Defense doesn't simply decline to present a case, we are still mid-October before the Prosecution rests. Then the Defense, and then it goes to the jury for deliberation. It may be pushing Halloween before they reach a decision, which is one week before the Midterms. The outcome of the Midterms will cue Mueller as to the direction his efforts need to follow. I think his first action following the election will be to unseal the next batch of indictments, which may include members of the Trump family.

Either way, the rest of this year is going to be a lot more interesting than television and football.
Interesting? I should say.

IIRC, Manafort has until the 30th to file appeals on the first 8 convictions. Prosecutors have until after that to decide whether to retry the 10 charges that were not decided because the one juror held out.

Jury selection on the money laundering and foreign agent business starts on Sept. 17. Trial starts on the 24th. On the 30th, appeals will be filed or not. Sometime after that, we will find out if prosecutors are going to retry the 10 hung jury charges.

Meanwhile, other people are popping up and pleading guilty. Cohen is singing away. Trump's CFO is answering questions. Pecker, publisher of the National Enquirer, is trading what is in his vault of scandals, ...

That should take us up to Nov. 6th.

And that doesn't even touch on what Avenatti is up to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies