Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 09:30 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,724,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
It makes me sad that Nike chose Krappernick but I do not lose sleep over it.
He is no hero. Some people think he is. I do not lose sleep over that either. Letting people be wrong is easy.
He is a lousy QB who was on the downward spiral of a mediocre career. There are hundreds of "winners" who they could have used. You don't see Wheaties putting losers on the cover of their cereal boxes.

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
I dont agree with Kappernick, if your employer asks you to do something you should do it or just quit (maybe that should be the new Nike slogan), but clearly Nike took a gamble on it and its paying off (so good for Nike)

26,469 posts, read 15,053,236 times
Free advertising with all of the Kap talk.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:39 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Free advertising with all of the Kap talk.
^^^This. Which is very likely part of Nike's market research prior to making the decision.

Nike feels this will make them money.

They're a private company so whatever they decide is up to them.

I personally dislike the NFL protests not because they shouldn't be protesting or don't have a legitimate point but rather that they are doing it on their employers time and image...and then trying to essentially blackmail the owners with implications that they're racist for objecting when in reality they too are running a business where the workers are alienating some of the customers.

If the waitress at my local sports bar started wearing a MAGA hat or "Muck Trump" shirt to work she'd be potentially alienating some customers either way....the manager would lose business and tell her to not do it or be fired.

There is a place and a time for political protest, nude sunbathing, yodeling and target shooting. Work is not one of those places lol. (Unless you have a super cool job)

Old 09-14-2018, 09:40 AM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times
As I said in the now locked thread discussing this issue, I pointed out that this was a shrewd and calculated move by Nike execs.

It's basic business marketing 101, there is no such thing as bad publicity.

While there were people frothing at the mouth gleefully predicting the decline of Nike, in fact the free publicity from the incident was worth millions, and now Nike stock is at its highest ever.

I was right as usual.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:47 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,972,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
I think the decline in UA is simply that they never engaged females like other athletic apparel makers did. I don't know the male/female of their base, but it is no doubt significant. UA put all their eggs in the Steph Curry basket, which was good, except that need to widen their base. Also, UA is not a significant global player like Nike and Adidas. I just looked online and Messi wears Adidas and Ronaldo wears Nike which I bet they endorse for too.
Agree about the womens market, but their bigger issue was a huge national retailer having cut their prices and flooded the market with sale UA goods, reducing the "prestige" people had previously associated with the name.

But either way, Nike doing what they always do, make good products and make profits doing so.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:49 AM

4,415 posts, read 2,937,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
As I said in the now locked thread discussing this issue, I pointed out that this was a shrewd and calculated move by Nike execs.

It's basic business marketing 101, there is no such thing as bad publicity.

While there were people frothing at the mouth gleefully predicting the decline of Nike, in fact the free publicity from the incident was worth millions, and now Nike stock is at its highest ever.

I was right as usual.
Agreed. Their primary motive was a business decision, not political. They did their research and It appears to be a good move....for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies