Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 04:03 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times

Advertisements

I'll note to newtovenice, all the things you posted, I already knew about BLM. That's because when they first got into the news cycle and their hashtag became popular, I reviewed the info available on them.

I knew the founders were lesbians, for instance. I also knew that homophobia, misogyny, and transphobia within black America is a "thing" of theirs.

I personally don't see anything wrong with anything in their mission statement. They are not advocating violence and they are very inclusive.

I honestly don't "get" why you are so bothered by their mission other than that you don't like gay people/lesbians or trans or you're one of those guys who thinks you're being victimized when people don't talk about you. There are many black men similar to the latter - when they are not spoken about, they feel discriminated against. I personally don't admire those sorts of black men - the perpetual victims. I don't like it when they blame white people for their problems in life and I especially don't like it when they are prejudiced against other black people (gays/lesbians/trans) and when they engage in misogynistic rhetoric/actions and are sexist against black women and blame black women for all their other issues (not related to the issues white people cause them).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 04:14 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I'll note to newtovenice, all the things you posted, I already knew about BLM. That's because when they first got into the news cycle and their hashtag became popular, I reviewed the info available on them.

I knew the founders were lesbians, for instance. I also knew that homophobia, misogyny, and transphobia within black America is a "thing" of theirs.

I personally don't see anything wrong with anything in their mission statement. They are not advocating violence and they are very inclusive.

I honestly don't "get" why you are so bothered by their mission other than that you don't like gay people/lesbians or trans or you're one of those guys who thinks you're being victimized when people don't talk about you. There are many black men similar to the latter - when they are not spoken about, they feel discriminated against. I personally don't admire those sorts of black men - the perpetual victims. I don't like it when they blame white people for their problems in life and I especially don't like it when they are prejudiced against other black people (gays/lesbians/trans) and when they engage in misogynistic rhetoric/actions and are sexist against black women and blame black women for all their other issues (not related to the issues white people cause them).
Stop 10 people on the street and ask them what BLM does.

I would bet that none respond: It's an LGBT organization that hates straight black fathers. Because that IS an accurate description of the organization.

There are many instances where they could add the word father, especially when talking about families and children -- you do know where children come from, right? -- so why aren't fathers mentioned? At all? They go on and on about family and community and mothers and children ... did the children just rain down from the sky? They very carefully omitted the word "father."

"Very inclusive"? Only if you are female and LGBT.

Blaming white people? Um, yeah these LGBT females do. It's in the mission statement. It's that disintegration of the Western family thing. Someone pointed it out earlier.

Seems like black lives only matter if you are female LGBT.

Oh, and PS: I'm not a man.

Old 09-04-2018, 04:44 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,558 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post

I would bet that none respond: It's an LGBT organization that hates straight black fathers. Because that IS an accurate description of the organization.

There are many instances where they could add the word father, especially when talking about families and children -- you do know where children come from, right? -- so why aren't fathers mentioned? At all? They go on and on about family and community and mothers and children ... did the children just rain down from the sky? They very carefully omitted the word "father."

Blaming white people? Um, yeah these LGBT females do. It's in the mission statement. It's that disintegration of the Western family thing. Someone pointed it out earlier.

Where do they say they have straight black men?????????

Old 09-04-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Where do they say they have straight black men?????????
Find any mention of straight black men in the mission statement.

Find any mention of fathers in the mission statement.

Find any mention of fathers as part of the family in the mission statement.

Old 09-04-2018, 04:59 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,558 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Find any mention of straight black men in the mission statement.

Find any mention of fathers in the mission statement.

Find any mention of fathers as part of the family in the mission statement.
Your argument wasn't that they weren't mentioned , it was that the organization is against them.

Further more , their mission statement mentions straight black men killed by vigilanties and police by name as well as talking about black people as a whole

Your argument is that the word straight doesn't appear, but no one is attacked for being straight .

Old 09-04-2018, 05:07 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,143,346 times
Why would I want to waste five minutes watching some isolated ordinary idiot guy?

Old 09-04-2018, 06:02 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,122,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Why would I want to waste five minutes watching some isolated ordinary idiot guy?

Old 09-05-2018, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Your argument wasn't that they weren't mentioned , it was that the organization is against them.

Further more , their mission statement mentions straight black men killed by vigilanties and police by name as well as talking about black people as a whole

Your argument is that the word straight doesn't appear, but no one is attacked for being straight .
Explain the rationale behind an inclusion and support of families and children, parents and mothers, which is very clear in the mission statement ... that has NO mention of "father."

It's intentionally omitted. To continue to pretend otherwise is dishonest. This organization does not support fathers, ie, straight men (because last I checked? gay men do not have sex with women ... which is what is needed for reproduction).

So yes, it appears -- per their very own mission statement -- that BLM does NOT support the family unit and does NOT support fathers.

There is no other conclusion to draw here.

Old 09-05-2018, 06:48 AM

Quote:

On the black - I personally think that 90% of the people on the street aren't that bright (that is my own prejudice BTW and bias - I think most of the general public are rather ignorant). So I bet you're right on the bold - but this is not "hidden" or any agenda. You found the info you found on their own website....they're not hiding it lol.

On "hate" none of what you posted said that they hate black fathers - that is not an accurate description of what you posted. What you shared was nothing about hate at all...

Why are you trying to dictate to them in regards to the blue - what they should have in their organization. I doubt you ever supported or liked them so what you want them to say is just evidence of you you wanting to insert a white male patriarchal control/POV on them.

On the pink, that has no bearing in what I'm stating. There are many women who support and promote a white male patriarchal sort of familial structure - just like there are many black people who support and promote a white male patrirachal POV as well as a white supremacy/black inferiority ideology.

Not surprising actually the pink.

But again - all of your concern about men and the gays just broadcasts your own prejudice of LGBT persons and your being upset at their lack of speaking about males/fathers is just you wanting to insert your own POV and control over this organization.

I'm not a man or gay (or anything to do with LGBT other than not prejudiced against them) but I am a black feminist and black feminism is pretty centered around breaking down barriers for women, protecting black men (either gay, trans, or straight) and being inclusive to all in black America. BLM's mission is a new-fangle summation of bell hooks' 1970s-1980s writings on what it means to be a black feminist. Black feminism always focuses on the whole of black people in America so your outrage is unnecessary and unwarranted to those of us who know what black feminism entails and how to recognize it in this mission statement - it's primary realizations, so to speak, is the damaging effect of white male patriarchy on both black women and black men (and black children) and how it is better for us not to base our families, our lives, or our definitions of "success" on the white patriarch's lives and definitions.

ETA: I'll add that all black political and civil rights organizations in America were primarily actively organized by black women and activists included black gays and lesbians. One of the other focuses of black feminism is that we should focus on black culture and history - historically, even straight black men have always been more tolerant and open to the ideas of women's rights, supporting women working, and of women getting the vote and not discriminated against. I study a lot of black history and in "colored conventions" of the 1840s-1850s black women advocated for inclusion into conversations and plans/activism for "the race" and they were overwhelmingly supported by straight black men and they were admitted onto agendas and into these meetings where action plans were created and adhered to in regards to dismantling slavery in the US at that time and of helping escaped slaves in northern terroritories and Canada along with ensuring that black men and women were able to effectively care for and educate their children. This is a long standing cultural tradition, which ironically considering you think BLM's posted mission is "misleading" or somehow they are "hiding" something, our history ironically was very inclusive. Frederick Douglass was one of the most very vocal supporters for the rights of women and for them not to be discriminated against. Blacks by and large ignored the sexual lives of other black people or they just didn't talk about it since it wasn't anyone else's business. Most black people have some gay aunties and uncles from way back who said they lived with a "friend" lol for 20-30 years. I'm personally glad that more young people are following a more traditional black feminist agenda in regards to their activism. Only thing I worry about is them not knowing the history of the culture to any wide degree. Knowing our history and culture is also a large tenet of black feminism.

Last edited by residinghere2007; 09-05-2018 at 07:14 AM..

Old 09-05-2018, 06:55 AM

Also for new - you cherry picked their mission. Their references to "parents, black people, ALL black people, and community" include straight black men....

The others are supporting other black people who are often victimized by white male patriarchal POVs within black America - LGBT, women, and trans-folk.

It is interesting you didn't highlight and/or color any of the words of the top 3 items in the mission, which are about all black people....

Telling in regards to your own prejudices in this regard. You focus on what you want to focus on.

I think it is interesing, your POV and your desire to try to cause a division within black America by trying to make black males view themselves as victims by this organization....

You are trying to incite prejudice, mistrust and anger towards black LGBT persons and BLM based on you wanting that organization to advocate for white patriarchy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies