Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 09:13 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,455,042 times

Advertisements

I've heard a few of these. They all seem the same total farce.

Friendly Senators lob softball questions... "What did you learn coaching your daughters' sports teams?" "Tell us about how you sing to the deaf in your spare time." "What conditioner do you use? Your hair look so full and vibrant." Blah blah..

Hostile Senators keep asking for opinions... "What do you think of court case XYZ?" "Do you agree or disagree with ABC?"

Judicial Nominee answers literally nothing... "I can't comment on that because it could compromise my perception of independence in the event that a related future court case comes before me."

Hostile Senators get pissed as if they were expecting him to slip up and blurt out "Abortion is MURDER!!!"

And this goes on for like twelve hours at a time, days on end.. :-)

The hell do we do this nonsense for?.. Everyone knows Kavanaugh was a done deal before this started. They have the votes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 09:15 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,952,362 times
To watch Democrats and their supporters make ABSOLUTE fools of themselves. They are doing an outstanding job thus far.

Old 09-05-2018, 09:22 PM

18,025 posts, read 27,472,437 times
It's slow water-drip on the forehead torture.

Old 09-06-2018, 12:23 PM

4,661 posts, read 1,954,435 times
its about Congress getting their face out there, earning donations for their party and attention seeking by those looking at running for President next election. i.e. Booker

Old 09-06-2018, 12:26 PM

463 posts, read 189,478 times
Here's another serious question: when every single Democrat votes no on every single proposal that this administration puts out, exactly what makes them more qualified than a 4 year old who can write 'no'?

Old 09-06-2018, 12:26 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
To watch Democrats and their supporters make ABSOLUTE fools of themselves. They are doing an outstanding job thus far.
that's about it.

Old 09-06-2018, 12:54 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,387,859 times
it used to matter. It used to be about making sure a candidate was actually qualified. take for instance Bush Nominee Harriet Miers. She really wasn't qualified. the Senate sniffed that out quick and she withdrew her nomination.

As a general rule that's the way republicans have played the game.
proof of that would be the votes on Obama and Clinton nominations
Kagan: 63-37
Sotomayor 68-31
Ginsburg 96-3
Bryer 87-9

All of them are hard left individuals who going in everyone knew would vote on the court for hard left ideology. However, there was little question that they were qualified and that the sitting president had the right to pick people of like political construct.

The left however has played a different game. the left has absolutely been committed to only voting for those that believe as they do on matters of politics.

Gorsuch received 54-45 vote. Only 3 dems voted for him and they were from swing states
Roberts 78-22
Alito 58-42 (4 Dems voting for him)
Thomas 52-48
Souter 90- 9

While I didn't go back to the Reagan era, it was during that period that the left went absolutely hard core. judge Bork was immanently qualified but rejected because the left thought he was a conservative. period.

Republicans seem to be (regretfully ) moving in the direction of playing by the same rules the dems are playing by.

Old 09-06-2018, 12:58 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCHouseHunter View Post
Here's another serious question: when every single Democrat votes no on every single proposal that this administration puts out, exactly what makes them more qualified than a 4 year old who can write 'no'?
Makes them as qualified as the Republicans who refused to support anything Obama did in his second term.

This isn't a left problem -- this is a left and right problem.

And there have been some bi-partisan bills that have gone through. But you don't hear about them because they don't do much for Trump's ego.

Old 09-06-2018, 01:07 PM

9,173 posts, read 13,256,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I've heard a few of these. They all seem the same total farce.

Friendly Senators lob softball questions... "What did you learn coaching your daughters' sports teams?" "Tell us about how you sing to the deaf in your spare time." "What conditioner do you use? Your hair look so full and vibrant." Blah blah..

Hostile Senators keep asking for opinions... "What do you think of court case XYZ?" "Do you agree or disagree with ABC?"

Judicial Nominee answers literally nothing... "I can't comment on that because it could compromise my perception of independence in the event that a related future court case comes before me."

Hostile Senators get pissed as if they were expecting him to slip up and blurt out "Abortion is MURDER!!!"

And this goes on for like twelve hours at a time, days on end.. :-)

The hell do we do this nonsense for?.. Everyone knows Kavanaugh was a done deal before this started. They have the votes.
The founders (who were mostly members of Congress) wanted to give the Congress oversight who the President was putting on the Supreme Court. To make sure the nominee was qualified, able to handle the position and would be independent of the President, the Supreme Court is the top of one of the 3 branches of the government after all.

Unfortunately they did not plan for all this partisan bickering. If the nominee is from our party, we automatically support him or her, unless the nominee is unusually bad. And if the nominee is from the opposite party, we are automatically against him or her. It has become an incredible farce.

As far as I am concerned, unless there really is some major issue or the nominee is truly unqualified, Senators should lean toward confirming the nominee. These nominees are professional judges with long careers, it is not right that people try to slander or vilify their careers just because they are from a different party.

Old 09-06-2018, 01:09 PM

9,173 posts, read 13,256,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCHouseHunter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Makes them as qualified as the Republicans who refused to support anything Obama did in his second term.

This isn't a left problem -- this is a left and right problem.

And there have been some bi-partisan bills that have gone through. But you don't hear about them because they don't do much for Trump's ego.
Pretty much what the Republicans did to Obama. In fact, when I was the kid, the Democrats did it to Reagan. So it has been going on a long time, only gotten worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies