Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 10:28 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Amazon is no different than an online mall. The products sold on Amazon are done so by SEPARATE PRIVATE COMPANIES. There is no restriction that prevents a buyer from purchasing directly from the supplier and not go through the Amazon portal. It is similar to "The Drudge Report". That is just a single place with links to other news sites.
To clarify, there are differences.

Amazon DOES have 3rd party vendors that just use the platform, but Amazon also a) sells their own branded products, and b) sells other products on their own

Drudge just aggregates news, he does not write his own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 10:31 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
The communist doesn’t realize that the government created this problem. Cut all welfare benefits and companies will be forced to pay people more. And by reducing business taxes, businesses will be able to afford to pay more.

But as usual, liberals create a problem, then create a solution to the problem which turns out to be an even bigger problem which they can then claim to have another solution for. And the gullible “educated” liberals fall for it every time. “The lessons of history, confirmed by evidence immediately before me, show conclusively that continued dependence on relief induces a spiritual and moral disintegration fundamentally destructive to the national fiber. To dole out relief in this way is to administer a narcotic, a subtle destroyer of the human spirit. It is inimical to the dictates of sound policy. It is a violation of the traditions of America.” -President Franklin D. Roosevelt
Taxes have been reduced and companies may be able to pay more, but they aren't.

They are buying back shares and/or passing tax break profits on to shareholders.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:50 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
To clarify, there are differences.

Amazon DOES have 3rd party vendors that just use the platform, but Amazon also a) sells their own branded products, and b) sells other products on their own

Drudge just aggregates news, he does not write his own.
I also can not send things across country as cheaply as the Chinese sellers on Amazon can send things across the ocean.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:58 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
IDK, I like paying extra taxes so Walmart can keep low paid workers. Walmart pays them and they can buy some food and pay for electricity and I pay them so they can afford section 8 housing. Why not.

Why would I want Walmart to pay a living wage??? I'll take care of it, I make plenty of money. If I were to demand they paid a living wage we wouldn't have so many mega Walmarts. So sad.
Remember Ronald Reed of Vermont? This was the former low wage janitor who, unbeknown to anyone, managed to amass an $8 million stock portfoilo and left it mostly to the local library.

He could have made life choices that would have resulted in a life of poverty. Instead, he chose to live a life well within his meager earnings and instead used his surplus to buy and hold stocks for the long term.

Why should any employer be expected to pay more than a competitive wage to subsidize employee choices?

Back to Walmart...

With much fanfare, after the big announcement of corporate tax cuts, Walmart announced:

An increase to its starting entry- level wage for unskilled workers to $11/ hr., 47% higher than the Federal Minimum Wage. There are more than 3000 local economies in the US. $11/hr goes much further in some local economies than others.

A one time bonus up to $10000 for eligible retail employees.

The intent to do a $20 billion stock buy back to goose shareholder value- you know, the people, including employees, who own a percentage of the company.

Closure of 63 chronically unprofitable Sam’s Clubs across 24 states and the elimination of 10,000 retail jobs.

Let’s look at the back story.

Walmart had been steadily increasing the starting entry- level wage as the overall economy recovered from the Great Depression and did so to remain competitive. It also previously paid one time bonuses to eligible retail employees.

Walmart, like many retailers, has tended to saturate markets to the point branded stores often compete with the same branded stores in some markets. I am 10 minutes away from 2 Walmart’s. Then again, I am within 10 minutes of a Costco, 2 Targets, a Kohl’s, 2 Home Depot’s, 5 major grocers, hundreds of other branded and independent grocers and retailers and hundreds of restaurants.

I paid $1.69 for a gallon of milk, .49 for a dozen lg eggs, $3.75 for a pound of Oscar Mayor bacon, $2.99 for a pound of 90% ground sirloin and $2 for a heavy Black Diamond seedless watermelon, yesterday. I rarely shop Walmart.

If I were just starting out with no marketable skills and just a high school diploma, I would not hesitate to seriously consider Walmart for an employment opportunity. Instead of spending my time blamethrowing at my employer for not paying a “ living wage” my goal would be to work my butt off to become the general manager of my store, then the region and then HQ.

My responsibility in the interim would be to live within my wage and avoid lousy decisions that would be contrary to that wage.

I don’t attribute or blame government for my personal outcomes.

Old 09-06-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Remember Ronald Reed of Vermont? This was the former low wage janitor who, unbeknown to anyone, managed to amass an $8 million stock portfoilo and left it mostly to the local library.

He could have made life choices that would have resulted in a life of poverty. Instead, he chose to live a life well within his meager earnings and instead used his surplus to buy and hold stocks for the long term.
I saw this guy on television the other day. Never took a piano lesson in his life but he could play any song you could ask him to play.

Obviously, since he did that anyone should be able to.

Old 09-06-2018, 02:56 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
IDK, I like paying extra taxes so Walmart can keep low paid workers. Walmart pays them and they can buy some food and pay for electricity and I pay them so they can afford section 8 housing. Why not.

Why would I want Walmart to pay a living wage??? I'll take care of it, I make plenty of money. If I were to demand they paid a living wage we wouldn't have so many mega Walmarts. So sad.
Why are workers willing to work for the wages Walmart offers?

Why don't they get jobs that pay $20/hr. with benefits like at Costco.

Old 09-06-2018, 03:08 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,017,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
So Bernie thinks that the Amazon and Walmart are getting by because of corporate welfare, I disagree. I think the government is getting away with providing dismal education to its citizens thereby cranking out a bunch of uneducated and unemployable folks with no better prospects than to toil away at some of these jobs created by huge companies like Amazon and Walmart.

If not for these giant companies, who would mask the issue of these "educated" people being completely unemployable for anything other than these types of jobs?

Many thanks to Amazon and Walmart for giving some of these people wages so they are not 100% dependent on the system that failed them.

https://gizmodo.com/bernie-sanders-i...ora-1828828518
Idiotic.

He lost me when he claims Bezos "makes" $150 million a day. It takes Amazon a month to make that in profit.

The guy is so intellectually dishonest I can't support him, even if I agree in some small way with his point.

Person > beliefs > politics.

Can't support him off the first one, rest don't matter. Relies on intellectual dishonesty too much. Robin Hood tax was another prime example. It's been tried elsewhere, and failed miserably.

Old 09-06-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Idiotic.

He lost me when he claims Bezos "makes" $150 million a day. It takes Amazon a month to make that in profit.
People made a ton of money on companies that went public that never made a penny.

Old 09-06-2018, 05:37 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,017,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
People made a ton of money on companies that went public that never made a penny.
Yeah. People.

People and appreciating stock are not the same as a company and it's financials.

Old 09-06-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Yeah. People.

People and appreciating stock are not the same as a company and it's financials.
Bezo's owns 81 million shares.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies