Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 04:37 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,808,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Gays don't deserve marriage benefits from society, straights do or at least I have no real objection to widowed or divorced housewives and mothers getting benefits.
So does that mean infertile couples who get married don't deserve tax breaks either? Just making sure...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 04:39 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
So does that mean infertile couples who get married don't deserve tax breaks either? Just making sure...
Or people who have been divorced and remarried. That's a sin and therefore they shouldn't receive tax benefits. Republican evangelicals seem to forget that Jesus talked a lot about adultery/remarriage but didn't even mention homosexuality.

Old 09-05-2018, 04:47 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
People complain and complain about identity politics yet they lose their mind at even the slightest criticism of our institutions and establish norms. The flag, the military, the police, the national anthem, our history, the church, cultural traditions, and our elected officials (funnily enough only when Republicans are in charge) are like sacred cows which cannot be criticized. Yet, that speech is protected by the First Amendment and my personal belief is that forced patriotism isn't a good thing. People shouldn't salute the flag and reverence our institutions because they are forced to but because they want to.

So how is conservatives throwing a fit about perceived disrespect or disregard for our institutions any different from social progressives becoming vocally offended about things like Chick-Fil-A or the Robertson [Duck Dynasty] family? Conservatives believe that the left is forcing a PC agenda on them but aren't they forcing their own agenda in the same way?
No. Nobody is forcing anybody to be patriotic. Nobody is saying you can't criticize anything. Nobody is saying you don't have the freedom to criticize anything you choose to.

This is not a freedom of speech issue.

Old 09-05-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Or people who have been divorced and remarried. That's a sin and therefore they shouldn't receive tax benefits. Republican evangelicals seem to forget that Jesus talked a lot about adultery/remarriage but didn't even mention homosexuality.

My take is they are going by the passage in Leviticus but that's in the Old Testament so even as a Christian you don't need to go by the Old Testament because that was part of a different society than today.
I don't even know if it means homosexuality because that old language is confusing but even if it does those were very different times. It's like pretending the earth is flat.

EDIT: This website also sheds the light on the meaning of that passage- https://www.westarinstitute.org/reso...-with-a-woman/

Old 09-05-2018, 04:50 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
Quote:
In any general rule, there will be some exceptions, but exceptions don't make the rule.

Old 09-05-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
In any general rule, there will be some exceptions, but exceptions don't make the rule.
Well why do they get an exception? Nobody chooses to be gay just like nobody chooses to be infertile.

Old 09-05-2018, 04:58 PM

37,177 posts, read 19,174,827 times
Quote:
People complain and complain about identity politics yet they lose their mind at even the slightest criticism of our institutions and establish norms. The flag, the military, the police, the national anthem, our history, the church, cultural traditions, and our elected officials (funnily enough only when Republicans are in charge) are like sacred cows which cannot be criticized. Yet, that speech is protected by the First Amendment and my personal belief is that forced patriotism isn't a good thing. People shouldn't salute the flag and reverence our institutions because they are forced to but because they want to.

So how is conservatives throwing a fit about perceived disrespect or disregard for our institutions any different from social progressives becoming vocally offended about things like Chick-Fil-A or the Robertson [Duck Dynasty] family? Conservatives believe that the left is forcing a PC agenda on them but aren't they forcing their own agenda in the same way?
Thanks to our Constitution, we still have the freedom to participate in a public display of patriotism or not.

All this could be resolved by creating a country where everyone wanted to salute the flag and say the pledge. Sadly, we are nowhere near that utopian goal. Somehow, Trump doesn't inspire me in that direction in the least, because I believe him to be a con man and a crook. When Obama was president, there was the same dissention by people who were aghast that an African-American man was the Leader of the Free World.

Finding common ground will require compromise. Are we still capable of it...?

Old 09-05-2018, 05:00 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
Quote:
Well why do they get an exception? Nobody chooses to be gay just like nobody chooses to be infertile.
I don't accept your premise. The population group of traditional married couples tend to have more housewives and children and widowed or divorced mothers and grandmothers who outlive their husbands. There was no need to make exceptions against members of the group. Same-sex is not the same thing. Why do you keep splitting hairs and pushing an anti-Christian and pro-gay agenda on me?

Old 09-05-2018, 05:03 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Thanks to our Constitution, we still have the freedom to participate in a public display of patriotism or not.

All this could be resolved by creating a country where everyone wanted to salute the flag and say the pledge. Sadly, we are nowhere near that utopian goal. Somehow, Trump doesn't inspire me in that direction in the least, because I believe him to be a con man and a crook. When Obama was president, there was the same dissention by people who were aghast that an African-American man was the Leader of the Free World.
I agree with this completely. Patriotism shouldn't be forced but it should be something that people want to partake in. I was very patriotic under Bush, especially after 9/11. I was also very patriotic when Obama was President. Under past Presidents I have been critical of what seems like a lack of patriotism from the Left.
However, nothing about Trump or the current direction our country is going in inspires me to be patriotic. I won't salute the red white and blue for its own sake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Finding common ground will require compromise. Are we still capable of it...?
And herein is the problem. Barry Goldwater predicted this decades ago.

"Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them."

― Barry Goldwater

Old 09-05-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
I don't accept your premise. The population group of traditional married couples tend to have more housewives and children and widowed or divorced mothers and grandmothers who outlive their husbands. There was no need to make exceptions against members of the group. Same-sex is not the same thing. Why do you keep splitting hairs and pushing an anti-Christian and pro-gay agenda on me?
I have no idea what you're even saying anymore but if you want to you can forget about me being anti-Christian (although I wouldn't necessarily say I'm that either I don't believe in organized religion in general..just Christianity is what I'm most familiar with) and focus on respecting gay people because if you take a look at that link in my last post your own book doesn't condemn homosexuality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies