Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 01:03 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
47% of women who have had an abortion have had two abortions.

hardly supports the assertation that abortion is commonly used as a form of birth control.
As per the linked article:
With nearly 30 years of possibly becoming pregnant abortion can’t be used as any woman’s primary source of birth control. There is also a very high likelihood of having one or two unintended pregnancies over a thirty year period of time."
47% of women who have had an abortion have had two or more abortions.

No woman who is regularly using birth control would need to have two abortions. Come on, we both know birth control isn't that unreliable.

THAT is the point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 01:47 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
47% of women who have had an abortion have had two or more abortions.

No woman who is regularly using birth control would need to have two abortions. Come on, we both know birth control isn't that unreliable.

THAT is the point.
No. 52% have had one abortion
47% have had two abortions.
21% have had more than two abortions

Statistics from 2014 CDC state:
In 2014, women who had not aborted in the past accounted for 55.1% of all abortions; women with one or two prior abortions accounted for 36.3%, and women with three or more prior abortions accounted for 8.6% (CDC).

That may be your opinion on birth control. Someone who grew up in poverty perhaps with a single parent or dysfunctional home, lives a distance from a free clinic, has no transportation, has difficulty with birth control, aborted for medical reasons, etc. may hold a different opinion.

As the article stated two unplanned pregnancies in a period of ~30 years, between the ages of 15-44, (given the largest percentage of those getting an abortion are young and living under the poverty guidelines) isn't unlikely.

Old 09-07-2018, 01:59 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
No. 52% have had one abortion
47% have had two abortions.
21% have had more than two abortions

Statistics from 2014 CDC state:
In 2014, women who had not aborted in the past accounted for 55.1% of all abortions; women with one or two prior abortions accounted for 36.3%, and women with three or more prior abortions accounted for 8.6% (CDC).

That may be your opinion on birth control. Someone who grew up in poverty perhaps with a single parent or dysfunctional home, lives a distance from a free clinic, has no transportation, has difficulty with birth control, aborted for medical reasons, etc. may hold a different opinion.

As the article stated two unplanned pregnancies in a period of ~30 years, between the ages of 15-44, (given the largest percentage of those getting an abortion are young and living under the poverty guidelines) isn't unlikely.
This is what you previously posted:

Quote:
52% have never had an abortion before, 47% have had an abortion before. Of that 47%, 26% have had only one previous abortion. That leaves 21% that have had two or more abortions.
Your two posts don't match up, 2mares. And I feel like you're playing the shell game with me.

Your initial bolded post was (almost) correct.

47% have had more than one abortion and of that 47% - 26% have had two abortions and 21% have had more than two abortions.

Old 09-07-2018, 02:06 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:

I wouldn't be surprised if "heather" isn't a pro-life person who posted the false photo and wrote a fake story just to cause trouble and make a negative impression of pro-choice people and this particular site.
Yes, the “celebration” part of the story certainly raises that question, doesn’t it? I suspect that SYA is also wondering about this. Dunno whether they have the means or the intention to do something more than wonder, but it may be that this isn’t the last of this story. We all know the internet is full of trolls.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:46 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Great post. I am exactly as you describe. I used to be solidly prochoice. Then I had a boyfriend whose ex girlfriend had had SIX abortions. It made me sick. Then he wanted ME to get pregnant. Don't tell me women don't use them as birth control because it's bs. And I am beginning to suspect that all the stats they told us about 'back alley abortions' were dishonest, too.

But what really flipped me was when I got pregnant and saw, week by week, what parts of my baby were forming. I could no longer reconcile it.

They are making a movie called Roe v. Wade. I saw the film maker being interviewed and it looks interesting. They finally got funding to make it.
And that's a valid concern.

However, there's just as equal of a valid concern, if not more so, of people not getting getting abortions when it might be best for them too. For example, people getting pregnant just to give the child up for adoption. Also, I don't see it as a bad idea to abort children with down syndrome or serious birth defects or genetic disorders.

If you'll notice...nobody's telling people with children with down syndrome, "you should have aborted your daughter," to their face...because that would be an a-hole thing to do. Some people will advocate aborting children with down syndrome, but nobody's intrusive enough to tell someone they should have aborted their child.

On the other hand, there are already people, (on these forums) call people who get abortions whores and murderers, who for all they know could have been doing the responsible thing.

So yeah, it might be good for society to discourage abortion as casually as some people apparently do, but that discouragement already happens, if not from society then through the increased expense of abortion (that gets higher the longer you wait) and the increased potential harm to the body (that increases with time).

Old 09-09-2018, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
[/b]

There is always two bodies involved in abortion.
Yeah...and 2+2 is four, and Green is my favorite color. What's your favorite color?

Old 09-09-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Yes, pro-life in all cases.

You haven't see the people who want to adopt? They need to go to other countries to find a baby and many adopt older children as well so that is no excuse.

Not prepared to be a mother or don't want a child? Then quit doing things that will make you pregnant. I don't believe you until you do that.
There are 107,918 foster children eligible for and waiting to be adopted.
In 2014, 50,644 foster kids were adopted — a number that has stayed roughly consistent for the past five years. The average age of a waiting child is 7.7 years old and 29% of them will spend at least three years in foster care. "Some people wonder why there are so many teenagers still wanted to be adopted, still feeling that a family is so important," says Hochman. "One 16-year-old we worked with said that when he graduated high school, he wanted one person in that room to be there for him. It's always important."

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/lif...on-statistics/

Also, some people get abortions because of birth defects. I've read that's a small minority of instances, but it's still some of it. That's not anything planning could solve.

Regarding abortions that are not decided upon due to birth defects, we're human. We're going to do things humans do. If you get to yell about people getting abortions due to not being careful enough, I get to yell at people about not aborting any child with a genetic disorder, eating meat from factory farms (which I actually do too), and being unnecessarily wasteful, (which almost everyone is).

We're just kind of an impulse-driven species. We're going to do what we're going to do and while might understand discouraging carelessness...you never know when an abortion was genuinely the most humane act possible, and nobody should be guilted into having a child. That's blaming the child for the parent's mistakes. It would considerably more humane to simply delete the fetus before a brain develops.

Also...we eat meat, right? most of us? That's a BIG example of how people are just going to do what they're going to do. If the meat we ate came primary from free range farms, I think an argument might be made that the animals were actually living better lives than in the wild, and therefore that's a humane act...but a lot of our meat comes from factory farms.

The vast majority of abortions occur within the first trimester. A small minority of them happen after that:

WHEN DO ABORTIONS OCCUR?
89-92% of all abortions happen during the first trimester, prior to the 13th week of gestation (AGI/CDC).
In 2014, 7.2% of all abortions occurred between 14-20 weeks' gestation; 1.3% occurred ≥21 weeks' gestation (CDC).
Percentage of 2014 Reported Abortions by Weeks of Gestation* (CDC):
≤6 wks 7 wks 8 wks 9 wks 10 wks 11 wks 12 wks 13 wks 14-15 wks 16-17 wks 18-20 wks ≥21 wks
37.2% 16.9% 12.8% 8.3% 5.5% 4.5% 3.5% 2.7% 3.3% 2.0% 1.9% 1.3%

Facts About Abortion: U.S. Abortion Statistics

You can't expect people to either not have sex until they're 32, or get their tubes tied and never have children, at a younger age. That's just not something humans are going to do. If our goal is to reduce suffering...we'd probably be better off focusing our attention on discouraging factory farms than abortions. Abortions don't happen that frequently per person. How many chicken nuggets to most Americans eat per year though?

Also, abortions are naturally discouraged. They're more expensive than contraception. They have potential to be hard on the body, particularly later ones, and they probably sometimes have emotional tolls.

Most importantly, you never know when an abortion was actually the most humane decision for the child. Abortion is the safest route too. Real "conservatives" would be saying "Get more abortions! We want ore abortions! when in doubt, get an abortion!" because that, at most kills a simple life. Birthing a child results in decades of consequences.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
I am a scientist (Geologist actually), I am not remotely religious in fact I only attend church on Christmas because my wife likes to go. I oppose abortion because of science. Once the egg is fertilized, there is a new human being growing inside the womb that has it's own genetic makeup separate from the mother's. When you have an abortion, you are ending a human life. That is science!
That doesn't make any sense. Your thought process is clearly flawed. This will do doubt echo through other areas of your life and make other views of yours nonsensical.

It's best probably best not described as a human life actually. It doesn't think like the beings we typically see as human. It doesn't experience the world the way the beings we typically perceive as humans do. It'd probably be more accurate to perceive it as an animal...something with a simpler, very different thought process, particularly in the early stages.

If you say the life of a fetus has value merely because it's a human (which I guess, technically, it is) that's just lazy semantics. That's got to be some kind of logical fallacy. I don't know the name of it though, assuming it is. For anything to be labeled "bad" by a sane person, it has to cause harm in some way. Deleting the life of something we call "human," (such as an adult who is brain-dead but still technically alive) does not inherently cause harm to anyone. It doesn't even cause harm to the person in a coma, because there's no one to feel the death if his plug is pulled.

You need to think about the reasons you have for your moral code. It sounds like it's built upon a pretty shallow base...like a thin layer of sandy drywall over a chasm or something. Figure out a deeper one, something more tied into concrete aspects of reality. That's your homework assignment. If I had to guess, I'd think you're making the same mistake many people make. You're probably just following along with culture, or blindly following your emotions, because you haven't considered there might be deeper reasons for things.

Unlike many people, there are some people (like me) who could figure out right and wrong without any input from culture, or my personal feelings about it. I base my moral code entirely off of concrete things, like whether or not something feels pain due to an action and other noteworthy things like that. I don't usually follow my moral code, but I wish more people ignored culture and their emotions and instead build their moral codes off the reduction of suffering and the increasing of pleasure, even if they don't follow those codes. Those codes would at least affect parts of their lives.

Last edited by Clintone; 09-09-2018 at 09:46 PM..

Old 09-09-2018, 09:40 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Assuming this is true, she's going to pretty much sue them into the ground.
No ****!
This is a clear defamation suit, with big bucks involved!

Old 09-09-2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
I'm not sure what you posted past the first sentence, but shouting about your abortions isn't radical, it is murderously evil.
No...you sound evil. You're the bad person. I'm the good person. We can see this from my statements so far...and this statement of yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies