Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2018, 10:21 AM

5,315 posts, read 2,113,297 times

Advertisements

If anything was going to be a public utility in the future, it would be the Internet itself, not social media. Layers of Internet as compared to phones:

Internet = phone waves (are they waves? I forget, ha.)
ISP = Phone company
Websites..for example Twitter = a company that uses phone service.

Are businesses obligated to listen to you on a phone no matter how horrible you are being? Nope. They may have policies designed towards customer service, but they are not required to listen.

Twitter is the same. They are not obligated to listen to you, keep you as a "customer", etc. if you break their rules.

President Trump is a very specific situation because of the position he holds and does not apply to all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 10:25 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,944,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Not true. It's the fact that Trump is the President of the United States that is the prevalent issue, and that President Trump cannot separate himself from the office he holds. He can't not be the President when he posts on twitter or any social media. He IS the President. The courts recognize that.
Again, the Court's decision created 'public forums' (be it Trump's, Pocahontas' or any gov official's feed) where none existed before.

And just as 'easement by necessity' forces private landowners to allow access to public beaches, Twitter is now forced to allow access to any and all 'public forums' the courts created.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:26 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
Again, the Court's decision created 'public forums' (be it Trump's, Pocahontas' or any gov official's feed) where none existed before.

And just as 'easement by necessity' forces private landowners to allow access to public beaches, Twitter is now forced to allow access to any and all 'public forums' the courts created.
You can say it 100 times: you are still incorrect.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:37 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Your understanding of what is happening is grossly flawed. Jones' ability to SPEAK hasn't been eliminated in any way.
It is when others that have done the exact same things are allowed to have twitter accounts. Then it is in fact censorship against a specific individual. Not because of what he posts, but because HE is the one posting it. Stunning that people are UNWILLING to recognize this.

People just hate him. So they think it's perfectly OK.

Feelings, not facts. A common theme in today's reality.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I'd like to bring up that C-D has the same policy of suspending or terminating posters for violating terms of service. I've been censured myself. That's the risk I run if I choose not abide by the rules. And DC is right that this is not an issue of freedom of speech. Jones retains his right to spew his vitriol. He just can't use Twitter as a platform to do it any longer.
Absolutely.

i can't wait for twitter to ban the rest of their users who behave in a similar manner.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:39 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,102 times
See, the reason dems support the players in the NFL issue and the owners in the Alex Jones issue, is because Alex is a hateful jerk who serves no purpose, and the players are protesting a valid issue serving a purpose. Ownership reserves the right to decide in both cases, we just want them to know we're not happy about their choice. That the right's cause is Alex Jones vs. a social issue like bigotry is very telling of today's GOP.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:40 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
It is when others that have done the exact same things are allowed to have twitter accounts. Then it is in fact censorship against a specific individual. Not because of what he posts, but because HE is the one posting it. Stunning that people are UNWILLING to recognize this.

If that is true, the Alex Jones has a civil case for unfair treatment or some sort of discrimination.

The burden of proof would be on Jones to show posts as vile as his that are breaking Twitter's behavior policies. If they are there, they should be easy to find.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:44 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post

Twitter is not now forced to allow access to any and all public forums.

President Trump is forced to recognize that anything he posts, anything he says, anything he does, is done as the President of the United States, and that he has to follow laws and traditions that pertain to the office. He's President, not King, and he cannot separate himself from the office when it serves him to do so.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:45 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post

No. Jones isn't silenced. He's just not tweeting anymore. There's a difference. You need to wrap your mind around that.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Can't get good help anywhere these days.
Um no.

I found it odd that there was an entire conversation being built around an accusation with no facts given. Which led me to believe that the people arguing had not done THEIR research. And the fact that no one was answering, weel, I'd guess there are a LOT of people on here that have no idea what happened. Just good I hate him. Shut him up. Because hate, not fact.

Good grief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies