Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 04:03 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times

Advertisements

Today I terminated a contract with a client of mine.

Where's my thread?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 04:03 PM

1,239 posts, read 510,263 times
This dude is a detestable piece of trash, and his supporters need to be protected from the likes of him who prey on idiots.

That being said, I don't want to see his funds dry up yet. I want to see him forced to pay out a large sum in the civil suits against him.

Old 09-06-2018, 04:04 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millenialwoes View Post
No, it's a pretty easy argument to make.

Public utility:

"an infrastructural necessity for the general public where the supply conditions are such that the public may not be provided with a reasonable service at reasonable prices because of monopoly in the area."

Don't react hysterically and emotionally. Think hard. Learn. Grow. Retort.

Remember: "but muh private business/muh constitution/muh tax cuts" is not a serious reply.
Not an infrastructural necessity, not a monopoly. Words mean things.

Old 09-06-2018, 04:05 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Today I terminated a contract with a client of mine.

Where's my thread?
And I would guess it was all above board and legal, per your agreement.

So what did twitter say he violated in their TOS/agreement? No one seems to know.

Old 09-06-2018, 04:05 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millenialwoes View Post
No. The moment twitter received channel-funded government money is the moment it became a public utility.
A substantially different argument and still wrong.

Old 09-06-2018, 04:06 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,380,409 times
Twitter et al. are in essence and de facto an infrastructural necessity, act as public utilities and operate as monopolies.

It is high time the government step in to regulate social media much the same way it regulates the networks, especially considering their influence on elections and eagerness to suppress opinion.

Old 09-06-2018, 04:06 PM

15,631 posts, read 10,386,562 times
too bad. Jones should not be banned from any social media. I'd rather all people have the opportunity to show everyone who and what they are instead of making them a martyr with their fan base for being banned for their speech. social media censorship does more harm than good in my opinion.

Old 09-06-2018, 04:09 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Twitter et al. are in essence and de facto an infrastructural necessity, act as public utilities and operate as monopolies.

It is high time the government step in to regulate social media much the same way it regulates the networks, especially considering their influence on elections and eagerness to suppress opinion.
You're projecting. If anything Twitter has given Jones a tremendous amount of leash that would not be extended to a non-personality.

Here's the thing. In essence doesn't mean anything. Either they are, or they are not. As you are free to make your own site, say...Blather that does everything twitter does, Twitter isn't necessary, or a monopoly. Remember MySpace, or Twitch, or whatever other one lost to competition. These are businesses, not utilities, not government mouthpieces. Private corporations free to do what they will.

Old 09-06-2018, 04:11 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
And I would guess it was all above board and legal, per your agreement.

So what did twitter say he violated in their TOS/agreement? No one seems to know.
I believe it was in good faith of the agreement. I wouldn't go as far as to say "legal" because that's a fictional construct not up to me. Don't think the client is going to raise a stink.

I'm not privy to all the contractual agreements between Jones and Twitter.

Old 09-06-2018, 04:12 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
Maybe Trump feels it would do the world some good to have you banned because he doesn't like your speech. How'd you feel about that?
If Trump gets Sessions to come after me and shut me down, I would get an attorney, fight it, and win.

If Trump bans me from following him on Twitter, meh. Plenty of places I can express myself, like right here.

Some people are REALLY confused by the 1st. Which is odd, because it is in very clear English and pretty short. Well within a 6th grade reading level I’d say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies