Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 11:11 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,702,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
Its a fact that minority medical students are admitted on lower standards than other students, for purposes of giving med schools more color.
Yes, although not even hinted at by NPR, that is likely the root of the problem at this particular med school. Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai has quite a high percentage of "underrepresented minorities" (18%). This is probably a quota they've set for themselves. And it is a highly ranked school, but not quite high enough to attract candidates from the small pool of very well qualified blacks and Hispanics who want to be doctors. Harvard and other ultra-elite schools hoover them all up. So there is likely a huge mismatch at Icahn, with blacks and Hispanics who might well receive honors at mid-to-low level med schools trying to compete with Jewish kids and Asians who actually are qualified for an elite med school. It's no wonder only 3% of honors selections there were from the groups receiving affirmative action in admittance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 03:06 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,617,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
They can't see their own hypocrisy...you know that.

We've reached the point where we should divide up into two groups:

A. Those who want a pure 100% meritocracy

B. Those who want to socially engineer every last detail of life

Group B is more than welcome to use their socially engineered doctors, mechanics, plumbers, etc.

In a week they'll be walking, not driving, on a gangrene leg down the street to use a toilet at a buddy's house because their doctor, mechanic, and plumber didn't know their behind from a hole in the ground.
I am a minority and prefer A - the 100% meritocracy. There are states that have outlawed affirmative action. I lived in Florida for over a decade, and it worked out great over there. I never heard a minority complain. There are many minority medical students who succeed - but the catch is that they have to meet the same standards as everyone else. So, only the truly qualified minorities are admitted.

Those medical schools that have affirmative action sometimes admit minorities who are unprepared and have low MCAT scores. They usually fall behind or drop out. In the midst of those admitted minorities, there is a subset of students that actually has very good MCAT scores and does well, but they are usually stigmatized as not being qualified even though they really are. So, affirmative action creates a (1) subset of admitted minority students who are unprepared and (2) a 2nd subset of minorities who could have been admitted without affirmative action but are perceived as being unfair beneficiaries. The net effect is that both (1) and (2) struggle badly with the pressure, stigma and racial tension. The academic mismatch for subset (1) is real. Meanwhile, subset (2) is usually assumed to be non-existent and those students are stigmatized as being unqualified.
https://www.heritage.org/courts/comm...ority-students

By contrast, in Florida affirmative action was outlawed and the racial tension was largely absent compared to Colorado. Jeb Bush outlawed it in 2000. At first, he had a lot of critics. But after a few years the pattern was obvious - the number of minorities at the major in-state universities declined, but the graduation rates went up. This meant that there were less minorities but those admitted were competitively aligned with the class median. So, graduation rates went up dramatically. This has also happened in California.

Affirmative action will likely be gone in the near future. It was actually a racist social control policy started by President Nixon. He genuinely believed minorities were less intelligent than whites, so the standards had to be lowered and a quota system was created. Ironically, many Democrats today want to keep the policy alive that had been started by a racist Republican. Go figure.

Affirmative action: It’s time for liberals to admit it isn’t working.

I got many "A" grades in Florida where affirmative action was outlawed. It's simply a matter of studying hard and building momentum into final exams. I've done that many times in STEM courses and excelled. I know how it feels to get the highest score on a graduate-level exam on a campus where affirmative action was outlawed.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:19 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,702,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I agree with a some of the Democrats' positions on various issues, but it is this PC insanity and the mission to make people not accountable for their actions is why I can't vote for them.
This isn't even the Democrats though, it's National Public Radio, which is supposed to be totally moderate and non-partisan. People here claim that SJWism is just the loony fringe and has no real clout, even within the Democratic Party. But here we have a leading voice of the governmental/corporate establishment selling it. And this is typical. I've seen dozens of PBS News Hour features along these same lines.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:19 AM

7,302 posts, read 3,367,713 times
Affirmative Action is time limited. How do I know?

I recently emerged from academia, where there are a lot of affirmative action hires. It makes everything much worse to have people doing jobs that they should not be in. The situation is that there are 100-110 IQ individuals being responsible for crucial bureaucratic functions that 125+ IQ individuals depend on. It often does not go well. The fallout can be large; especially when low competency is widespread. That being said, that certainly isn't every minority person. Its the pure affirmative action hires, but they can get promoted into important positions that those promoting them underestimate.

Some minority individuals do deserve to be in their jobs at that level. But do you know what I notice as well? The ones that deserve to be there often get noticed by the administration, and then flagged to be promoted into meaningless diversity positions and out of their crucial roles.

So, back to how I know that affirmative action is time limited. Everyone is miserable in their jobs because of it. When things blow up, the affirmative action person is frustrated and often moved around (never fired). The people that depend on them, and are let down, begin to be resentful. That spreads as well. No one is happy, but is forced pretend to be by the thought police. AA only reduces important institutions. Which I suspect is the unfortunate point, but that will not walk back the increasing popular revolt against it.

This effect is reduced outside of academia because market forces work to keep businesses lean and well functioning, but the larger the private institution (employer) the more likely it will be an issue due to PC culture.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:21 AM

68,277 posts, read 54,017,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I assume the extra work liberals are eluding to is when we have to teach white people how to sing, dance, and play sports.

Apparently that's our forte. Not medicine, education, technology, or business.

I would assume anyone thinking theirself qualified to comment might know the large difference between elude and allude.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:28 AM

7,302 posts, read 3,367,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
This isn't even the Democrats though, it's National Public Radio, which is supposed to be totally moderate and non-partisan. People here claim that SJWism is just the loony fringe and has no real clout, even within the Democratic Party. But here we have a leading voice of the governmental/corporate establishment selling it. And this is typical. I've seen dozens of PBS News Hour features along these same lines.
NPR's self-promoted reputation as non-partisan organization is a long time PR success that has no objective foundation.

I think that its merely greatly assisted by people's expectations of public institutions, which gives NPR a lot of latitude to flout objectivity for Far Left politics. Because people's assumptions of public institution non-bias walk the obvious bias back in the public mind.

In a way, NPR is much worse than MSNBC or the HuffPo (for example) because those two outlets don't pretend to be unbiased. NPR does, while at the same time seldom being less biased than those. Of course, NPR often states their extreme bias with soberer language than they do, a tactic which also plays into their act, but its the same messaging nonetheless.

From NPR's perspective, it goes something like: "But we're public, dontcha know"?! in the subtextual branding.

I think that only those prone to confirmation bias would believe that NPR is objective, and that a lot of people recognize them for the Far Left propaganda network that they are upon any honest listening over time.

The Far Left bias is obvious every day of the week, but tune in during any election season or major liberal-invented scandal for a special lesson in Far Left propaganda from an institution that receives the tax money of every American.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:36 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,461,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I would assume anyone thinking theirself qualified to comment might know the large difference between elude and allude.
Burdell, you're correcting someone and then using "theirself" in your correction?

Embarrassing.

Old 09-07-2018, 02:13 PM

18,423 posts, read 9,044,532 times
Yay, another “race bait” thread.

Old 09-07-2018, 02:37 PM

4,541 posts, read 2,753,037 times
Did anyone here actually read the article? The empirical evidence linked shows that black and Asian students with the same test scores, community service, etc. are less likely to be picked for honors than their white counterparts with the same qualifications.

Really misleading thread.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2607210

Old 09-07-2018, 03:17 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,461,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Did anyone here actually read the article? The empirical evidence linked shows that black and Asian students with the same test scores, community service, etc. are less likely to be picked for honors than their white counterparts with the same qualifications.

Really misleading thread.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2607210
Yes, I read the article. It also states this:

Quote:
Membership is generally open to the top 25 percent of medical students in a graduating class, as determined by their grades and scores on standardized tests, but only about 16 percent makes it in. Each medical school has its own criteria for making final selections including qualities like leadership or professionalism.
Seldom are all things equal and I wouldn't assume that in academia where they tend to bend over backwards for minorities that they're suddenly going to favor white students even though everything is equal. They look at more than just grades and community service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies