Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2018, 08:36 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times

Advertisements

I'm not going to celebrate until we see the final outcome. I couldn't find anything noting the results of her drug tests, unless I missed something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2018, 08:42 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,114,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Local attorney states a conviction is not likely - particularly if they get a change of venue...

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/wh.../287-619220942
To tell you the truth, I honestly don't think she will get convicted. American juries tend to have a lot of trouble convicting cops.

Remember the cop Michael Slager who shot the man running away from him? We have him on video planting evidence next to the dead man he just shot, and he was found not guilty the first time around.

Or remember Philando Castile? Everybody thought this was an open and shut case. And yet the cop was let off scotch free.

Sorry, I'm not very hopeful.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:54 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
To tell you the truth, I honestly don't think she will get convicted. American juries tend to have a lot of trouble convicting cops.

Remember the cop Michael Slager who shot the man running away from him? We have him on video planting evidence next to the dead man he just shot, and he was found not guilty the first time around .

Or remember Philando Castile? Everybody thought this was an open and shut case. And yet the cop was let off scotch free.

It was a hung jury, he wasn't found not guilty.

Old 12-01-2018, 09:02 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
This is one of the most bizarre, hard to understand cases I have ever seen. How could anyone, let alone a trained professional cop, open the door of someone else's apartment, and not immediately realize they were not in their own ? Yes, they may be similar in layout, but personal items displayed around should let anyone with half a brain know that is not their stuff ! I can guarantee you that if I walked into my neighbors apartment by mistake I would IMMEDIATELY realize something was amiss.

This lady was either as dumb as a rock or high on something. She had no business being a cop, and I hope they find her guilty of murder. Poor guy was just relaxing in his own home and is now dead because of her.

Old 12-01-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It was a hung jury, he wasn't found not guilty.
Hung jury is the same as not guilty because ot takes all 12 to convict. There's always that 1 or 2 die hard "cops can do no wrong" type on the jury. That's what I mean.

Old 12-01-2018, 09:19 AM

9,469 posts, read 10,803,534 times
Quote:

Remember the cop Michael Slager who shot the man running away from him? We have him on video planting evidence next to the dead man he just shot, and he was found not guilty the first time around.

We should be very reluctant to convict cops of murder when they make a mistake while carrying out their duties. Police are put in dangerous situations everyday, in neighborhoods that are full of hateful violent criminals. If in a split second they have to make a decision to shoot or not shoot but are held to a standard where they could be locked up for murder if the criminal did not actually have a gun or heaven forbid BLM hods a protest. I am not saying those found unfit should be returned to the street with a badge but officers carrying out a dangerous duty should not fear prosecutions because the situations they get put in could easily turn violent. I would support a law protecting police officers from being prosecuted if they kill or injure someone while carrying out their duty. BLM should not determine the fate of officers who are involved in these incidents. In fact BLM is no more than a criminals advocate group, many of them criminals themselves truth be told.

The woman who is the focus of this thread however was NOT carrying out her duties, she unbelievably walked into her neighbors home thinking it was hers and killed a man. No doubt it will be easy to convict her of man slaughter. I would be shocked if she does not turn out as being high or drunk when this happened. This is not really a police issue as she was off duty when this happened.

Blue lives matter

Old 12-01-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
This is one of the most bizarre, hard to understand cases I have ever seen. How could anyone, let alone a trained professional cop, open the door of someone else's apartment, and not immediately realize they were not in their own ? Yes, they may be similar in layout, but personal items displayed around should let anyone with half a brain know that is not their stuff ! I can guarantee you that if I walked into my neighbors apartment by mistake I would IMMEDIATELY realize something was amiss.

This lady was either as dumb as a rock or high on something. She had no business being a cop, and I hope they find her guilty of murder. Poor guy was just relaxing in his own home and is now dead because of her.
My husband started locking our front door after the news about this case came out. We live in a nice middle class neighborhood. Before, we used to not lock the front door during the day when we are home. But we have a cop living several doors down... LOL

Old 12-01-2018, 09:47 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Hung jury is the same as not guilty because ot takes all 12 to convict. There's always that 1 or 2 die hard "cops can do no wrong" type on the jury. That's what I mean.
If you are found not guilty you can't be retried.

Old 12-01-2018, 09:51 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Actually, a cop was convicted of murder by a Dallas jury just a few months ago. In that case, though, it was fairly easy to demonstrate criminal intent on the part of the police officer, particularly when his own partner testified that he didn't think the shooting was warranted.

I think in this case a murder conviction is far less likely than a conviction of "criminally negligent homicide" would have been. I think they can prove the officer made a series of errors far beyond those a normal person would have made (how often does a normal person get all the way into the kitchen of the wrong apartment without realizing it?). Most people would agree that it's criminal to be that wrong and then shoot a man.

But I'm not sure they can prove more than that, unless the grand jury saw some information about a previous relationship that hasn't been generally released (not necessarily romantic--there were also some stories of the two having had a previous altercation over noise).

So I think it's likely he'll be acquitted.

Too bad the civilian system isn't like a military court-martial, where the jury itself is able to rule for a lesser charge, essentially, "The prosecution didn't prove murder, but they did prove manslaughter." That's one of the reasons why courts-martial have such a high conviction rate.

Old 12-01-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If you are found not guilty you can't be retried.
I know. But if you keep having a 1 or 2 die hard jury members who will not convict a cop no matter what, how many times are they willing to keep retrying?

And that's not even my main point. We have a video of the cop shooting the man while he was running away and then planted evidence next to his dead body. It was objectively a open and shut case, and they still had trouble getting a conviction. Does that not worry you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies