Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2018, 05:11 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,243,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
We should be very reluctant to convict cops of murder when they make a mistake while carrying out their duties. Police are put in dangerous situations everyday, in neighborhoods that are full of hateful violent criminals. If in a split second they have to make a decision to shoot or not shoot but are held to a standard where they could be locked up for murder if the criminal did not actually have a gun or heaven forbid BLM hods a protest. I am not saying those found unfit should be returned to the street with a badge but officers carrying out a dangerous duty should not fear prosecutions because the situations they get put in could easily turn violent. I would support a law protecting police officers from being prosecuted if they kill or injure someone while carrying out their duty. BLM should not determine the fate of officers who are involved in these incidents. In fact BLM is no more than a criminals advocate group, many of them criminals themselves truth be told.

The woman who is the focus of this thread however was NOT carrying out her duties, she unbelievably walked into her neighbors home thinking it was hers and killed a man. No doubt it will be easy to convict her of man slaughter. I would be shocked if she does not turn out as being high or drunk when this happened. This is not really a police issue as she was off duty when this happened.

Blue lives matter
If police should not be found guilty of murdering people when carrying out their duties carte blanche then citizens, who have the unalienable right to life should not be convicted of murder when cops overstep their authority.

What an idiotic statement by you daniel.....just stupid. And it deserves a response as such....and what would make you think BLM are criminals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2018, 05:17 PM

1,289 posts, read 937,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Too bad the civilian system isn't like a military court-martial, where the jury itself is able to rule for a lesser charge, essentially, "The prosecution didn't prove murder, but they did prove manslaughter." That's one of the reasons why courts-martial have such a high conviction rate.
Oh, I thought the civilian system could! I thought I'd heard of judges or d.a.'s sometimes giving the jury more than one charge to choose from. I could be wrong or maybe I'm just misunderstanding what you mean.

But I do recall the case where a San Francisco woman who owned an extensively trained-to-be-dangerous german shepherd watched while he attacked her neighbor for 10 minutes in the hallway of their apartment building. The jury convicted the woman of second degree murder but the judge threw out the conviction and applied a conviction of involuntary manslaughter. Took everyone by surprise. (The California Supreme Court later reinstated the murder charge and the woman is doing fifteen to life).

But for this Guyger case, it would be a huge surprise if she did one minute of time for what she's charged with. I'm guessing one way or another she'll get by.

Old 12-01-2018, 05:26 PM

28,665 posts, read 18,775,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Yes, but that video wasn't of his door. We don't know what was going on with his door. It was a pretty safe apartment complex (once inside), he may have left the door ajar for some reason. Anyway, they took all the locks, combinations and key history, so that will all come out in court.
The vast majority of people who deal daily with buildings that have similar layouts between floors develop methods to distinguish their floor, hall, door, et cetera from others. We do this in apartment buildings, office buildings, school buildings, hotels, et cetera. We note location cues (landmarks) along our way. We learned to do this as children.

Sometimes we even set up our own landmarks. People living in such apartment buildings often put out a distinctive door mat or name plate or knocker ornament identify their own door.

The "feel" of the amount of time it takes to get to the right parking level, the number of turns one has taken, the cars parked in their slots--this becomes part of unconscious memory.

The look of the hall--distinctive things other residents have done to their doors--or doors missing distinctive elements--this becomes part of unconscious memory.

A normal person would unconsciously notice the presence or absence of a doormat. It doesn't take even looking down--the feel under one's shoes at that moment while stopping to unlock the door is something that becomes part of unconscious memory.

We know nearly everyone does this because few people actually make the mistake of getting all the way to one's desk or classroom or apartment door before realizing something is wrong. A person in a 10-story apartment building does not suffer every day nine people mistakenly trying to open his door.

It's possible to miss one cue. Or two. But getting all the way to one's door...and then being greeted with an usual event while unlocking the door: The key card slot does not flash green...and the door is ajar when it should have been closed and locked.

Most people would automatically step back and wonder, "Am I in the right place?"

Why would that thought come to mind? Because everyone living in that kind of building knows that kind of mistake is possible. So the possibility of that kind of mistake quickly comes to mind.

A normal person says something like "WTF" and pauses to look around...and then sees all the discrepancies.

But let's say somehow that doesn't happen. The person gets through all that with no clue of being in the wrong place. So he enters the apartment, walks all the way through the living room into the kitchen area...and still thinks it's his own apartment.

Really?

And are we to expect that a police officer would be that obtuse?

Well, some say that when she noted the door was ajar, she went into "cop mode."

Umm, that doesn't make it any better, that makes it a whole lot worse. If she came to alertness and went into cop mode, that should have made her more observant, not less.

Old 12-01-2018, 06:51 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,602,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The vast majority of people who deal daily with buildings that have similar layouts between floors develop methods to distinguish their floor, hall, door, et cetera from others. We do this in apartment buildings, office buildings, school buildings, hotels, et cetera. We note location cues (landmarks) along our way. We learned to do this as children.

Sometimes we even set up our own landmarks. People living in such apartment buildings often put out a distinctive door mat or name plate or knocker ornament identify their own door.

The "feel" of the amount of time it takes to get to the right parking level, the number of turns one has taken, the cars parked in their slots--this becomes part of unconscious memory.

The look of the hall--distinctive things other residents have done to their doors--or doors missing distinctive elements--this becomes part of unconscious memory.

A normal person would unconsciously notice the presence or absence of a doormat. It doesn't take even looking down--the feel under one's shoes at that moment while stopping to unlock the door is something that becomes part of unconscious memory.

We know nearly everyone does this because few people actually make the mistake of getting all the way to one's desk or classroom or apartment door before realizing something is wrong. A person in a 10-story apartment building does not suffer every day nine people mistakenly trying to open his door.

It's possible to miss one cue. Or two. But getting all the way to one's door...and then being greeted with an usual event while unlocking the door: The key card slot does not flash green...and the door is ajar when it should have been closed and locked.

Most people would automatically step back and wonder, "Am I in the right place?"

Why would that thought come to mind? Because everyone living in that kind of building knows that kind of mistake is possible. So the possibility of that kind of mistake quickly comes to mind.

A normal person says something like "WTF" and pauses to look around...and then sees all the discrepancies.

But let's say somehow that doesn't happen. The person gets through all that with no clue of being in the wrong place. So he enters the apartment, walks all the way through the living room into the kitchen area...and still thinks it's his own apartment.

Really?

And are we to expect that a police officer would be that obtuse?

Well, some say that when she noted the door was ajar, she went into "cop mode."

Umm, that doesn't make it any better, that makes it a whole lot worse. If she came to alertness and went into cop mode, that should have made her more observant, not less.

This is particularly true when you've just moved in, as she had, and your surroundings are all foreign. I'm guessing the unusual color of red for his doormat, may have been his landmark.

There's no way this was an *accident*.

Old 12-01-2018, 06:58 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,585,979 times
It really looks like she did murder that poor man. I for one am hoping, if found guilty, she gets to spend the rest of her life in prison.

Old 12-01-2018, 06:58 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Or perhaps they need to do a better job of screening applicants in the first place. If what I saw as an MP is any indication of what goes on in the civilian world by even a small percent, we have a big problem. I've done other type of work similar to that, (but not a civilian cop - not enough money in the world for me to do that), and there's always a handful of the hot heads, the boasters, the chest thumpers, the butt kissers that get hired right along with you. I don't trust those kinds of people even if they are my "partners", because those are the types of people who will escalate a situation instead of diffuse it because they let that pistol belt go straight to their heads.

Training is always necessary, but I think we need to start before that, and really screen people out. If I were hiring and some guy walked in all cocky and acting like Billy Bad Ass, I wouldn't hire him. I have enough experience to know that they are the type to make situations worse.
That is true as well. I forgot to put that part in. Some people are not meant to be police officers. Some persons want to go into the force because they figured they could "be bullies and get paid for it".

Old 12-01-2018, 07:19 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,341,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
It really looks like she did murder that poor man. I for one am hoping, if found guilty, she gets to spend the rest of her life in prison.
You folk have lost your minds. There simply is not rational explanation for this incident other than an accident.

She shows no signs of being an irresponsible or hostile person. She simply screwed up after working a 15 hour shift which apparently included some high stress. She was very likely impaired by the situation.

But trying to turn this into some form of a deliberate his is simply beyond the pale.

Old 12-01-2018, 07:33 PM

365 posts, read 499,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
You folk have lost your minds. There simply is not rational explanation for this incident other than an accident.

She shows no signs of being an irresponsible or hostile person. She simply screwed up after working a 15 hour shift which apparently included some high stress. She was very likely impaired by the situation.

But trying to turn this into some form of a deliberate his is simply beyond the pale.
You know her?

Old 12-01-2018, 07:33 PM

1,066 posts, read 629,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post

You are pathetic, as former Leo, if you can’t tell your apartment from another simply after a regular 15 hour shift your a pathetic individual and never suited for “Leo”. 12-15 hour shifts are routine.

God I hate you people who make every excuse trying to benefit your ideal.

Stop it. This was murder. No mistake about it. Disgusting attempt to protect her.

Old 12-01-2018, 07:34 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,810,293 times
Anyone who think she deliberately sought him out to kill him is crazy.

She is an idiot, she needs to do time, but she did not purposely go to his apartment to kill him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies