Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2019, 07:15 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times

Advertisements

I think this sentence is appropriate. Remember that the illegal alien who shot and killed Kate Steinle in San Francisco wasn't even charged with murder at all and not all those charges dropped. Both he and Guyger made very irresponsible mistakes but his was actually worse since he is illegal and made a decision to steal the gun (according to his own admission) knowing he was a felon and wasn't allowed to possess one while Guyger didn't intend to go into the wrong apartment and the entire thing was a tragic episode.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2019, 07:16 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
As soon as I heard she had gotten ten years, I wondered the same.

Something like that would be considered appropriate? That surprises me.
Groups often have perceived agreements without actually making them. We used to call them "ego agreements". You can tell by the way the other people talk and act what they are likely to do and feel.

I had a non-related ex-SIL who shot her BF point blank though the gut. He died. He was a low life, but then again she was a good looking low life. Amazingly enough, his family actually was on HER side a bit until they smelled money...which they never got since she spent every dime on lawyers.

Bottom line she got 3 years (gun crime min) in a REAL jail for "crime of passion" (they were boozed and coked up) and got to a 1/2 way house in 18 months.

Hard to say what is fair but the world didn't lose anything with her BF shot. The world is very weird because she was a super-capable business person and now occupies a very high "building code enforcement" municipal position.

Although I would call her a friend (I visited her in Jail), I think she is a sociopath. I don't think she felt even a pang of sorrow on taking a life...not to say she would do it again (unless the situation were similar).

Old 10-02-2019, 07:18 PM

2,185 posts, read 1,382,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post

In the US, and the basis of classical liberalism, a person is innocent until proven guilty, and the burden of proof rests on the accuser. So in this case, it was up to the prosecutor to prove otherwise, and not one single time did they even go that direction because it was clear as day she accidentally went to his apartment. That part was never in doubt, nothing in the trial was in doubt really aside from some irrelevant items.

You seem very confused. The legal standard of innocent until proven guilty has nothing to do with her saying the truth or not. She could be lying for all we know, but we just have no proof either way. And she was caught lying about how the shooting went down, and that was mentioned by the prosecutor who knows a little more than uninformed online sympathizers. Did you catch she was actually found guilty ?? "It was clear as day"...Unless you're a psychic, you don't know anyone's intent in any circumstance. So you keep your patronizing comments to yourself, you're not fooling anyone here.

Quote:
my only thoughts out of all the evidence is simply she accidentally went to the wrong apartment
Exactly. Your thoughts.

Quote:
I am sure her emotions are real

Oh boy...

Last edited by Sorel36; 10-02-2019 at 07:37 PM..

Old 10-02-2019, 07:18 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I think this sentence is appropriate. Remember that the illegal alien who shot and killed Kate Steinle in San Francisco wasn't even charged with murder at all and not all those charges dropped. Both he and Guyger made very irresponsible mistakes but his was actually worse since he is illegal and made a decision to steal the gun (according to his own admission) knowing he was a felon and wasn't allowed to possess one while Guyger didn't intend to go into the wrong apartment and the entire thing was a tragic episode.
I'd say you are wrong because of the basic saying "With great power comes great responsibility". Lots of poor people and others kill people each and every day.

People sworn to a higher oath are held to a higher standard. IMHO, anyway.

I do agree that the case and sentence seem fair.

Old 10-02-2019, 07:21 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post

Did not steal the gun. Found a package under the bench that went off when he picked it up. No claim he actually knew it was a gun or pointed it. And the round hit her only after bouncing off the pavement.

Utterly different.

Old 10-02-2019, 07:23 PM

8,177 posts, read 6,925,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
No doubt, but how long do Black people have to show us how to forgive? Or the Hispanics mowed down in El Paso and the like?

I feel bad for the perp and the victim of course. Who wouldn't?

BUT, transpose this to UK or France or Germany or other civilized places. Would the Cop have shot and killed...even the rare armed cop?

No. Pretty simple answer.

Of course the overall problem is larger and I understand LE and their situation out on the street or when battling criminals who in the USA (compared) are incredibly well armed.

We don't want to think so, but some of the responsibility for these things is on society as a whole. LE had to arm up big time after they were outgunned in a few situations.
Who is this "us" you are speaking of?
Are you kidding?

You are taking away from what that brother did by bringing race into it the way you did.

It was a human showing forgiveness and kindness to another human being who killed their loved one.

Enough with the division.

There are plenty of white people who have been harmed by black people who have then forgiven those who did the crime against them or their loved ones. And likewise for black people who have been harmed by white people. Also for white people harmed by other white people and black people harmed by other black people. Hispanic people, Asian people, and so on.

It's not about RACE.

It's about human beings.
It's about God touching a heart and helping them to forgive, even in the most unforgivable of circumstances. By turning this into a racial thing, you demean the brother's intention.

Again. Enough with the division and pitting people against each other based on the color of their skin.

Old 10-02-2019, 07:33 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Who is this "us" you are speaking of?
Are you kidding?

You are taking away from what that brother did by bringing race into it the way you did.

It was a human showing forgiveness and kindness to another human being who killed their loved one.

Enough with the division.

There are plenty of white people who have been harmed by black people who have then forgiven those who did the crime against them or their loved ones. And likewise for black people who have been harmed by white people. Also for white people harmed by other white people and black people harmed by other black people. Hispanic people, Asian people, and so on.

It's not about RACE.

It's about human beings.
It's about God touching a heart and helping them to forgive, even in the most unforgivable of circumstances. By turning this into a racial thing, you demean the brother's intention.

Again. Enough with the division and pitting people against each other based on the color of their skin.
I opted to just skip the rest of the post after reading the first line or two. Consider the source and you won't be surprised.

Old 10-02-2019, 08:09 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
After listening to this guy below, I do feel that Amber Guyger was treated with kid gloves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dI_KbA1HC4

Old 10-02-2019, 08:20 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,429,738 times
Quote:
That ship has long sailed.

Old 10-02-2019, 08:32 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
After listening to this guy below, I do feel that Amber Guyger was treated with kid gloves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dI_KbA1HC4
And prior to that she went to the back and got her a bible to give her, going through some passages with her. That's why I posted earlier:

Quote:
Then they cut away, the judge was talking with the family when they returned. Then she went in the back, brought a bible to Guyger and is telling her what passages to read in the next several weeks.

It's the damndest thing I've ever seen.
Do you think the judge does this for Leon who came from the hood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies