Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2019, 12:53 PM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I see people are still confused by actions of a cop while on duty, and in the performance of that duty, and a cop who is off duty and their actions.

Nope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2019, 01:11 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Nope.
Sure you are. You referred to a case where cops were on duty, responding to a call.

This woman was not on duty, not responding to a call. She was not a "cop responding to a call and killed someone".

Old 10-04-2019, 01:20 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
She's a cop, she's a woman, she cried on the stand and expressed remorse. The sentence was about what was expected, all things considered.
I would add someone who never should have been a cop in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
She didn't walk up an extra flight of stairs. She parked on the wrong level of the parking garage thinking she was on her level because she wasn't paying attention.
Does it matter? How do you not figure out you're on the wrong floor before entering the apartment?

And shouldn't a woman alone at night(especially a cop) be paying attention to their surroundings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
What she did was truly an accident. I think she was being judged more harshly because she was a white cop and he was black even though she was off duty and should be held to civilian standards.

Let's be honest here, if she was just a regular civilian who went into the wrong apartment and thought she was being robbed and shot the person, regardless of race, it would be manslaughter not murder. Yes she should be punished but 5-10 years is sufficient and she still deserves to be able to make something of her life. I sincerely don't believe she's a bad person or a criminal.

The guy who shot the police dog was a thuggish criminal with a long record who purposely chose to commit this and other crimes, and the person who shot Kate Steinle was an illegal criminal alien with no regard for the law, hence him being here in the first place.
She is being judged because many of us don't get how you don't know what floor you're on. Yeah, you can park on the wrong floor, get off an elevator on the wrong floor, but you realize your mistake within seconds.

What you don't do is walk into the wrong apartment(with a red doormat that isn't yours), go into an apartment and not realize right away" hey this isn't my place".

Removing race and her occupation from the equation, many people can't make sense of this.

Old 10-04-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I would add someone who never should have been a cop in the first place.

Does it matter? How do you not figure out you're on the wrong floor before entering the apartment?

And shouldn't a woman alone at night(especially a cop) be paying attention to their surroundings?

She is being judged because many of us don't get how you don't know what floor you're on. Yeah, you can park on the wrong floor, get off an elevator on the wrong floor, but you realize your mistake within seconds.

What you don't do is walk into the wrong apartment(with a red doormat that isn't yours), go into an apartment and not realize right away" hey this isn't my place".

Removing race and her occupation from the equation, many people can't make sense of this.
I have lived in apartments my entire adult life, I easily believe going to the wrong door is possible, I have done it, many people have, I think they surveyed the building where they live and 20% said they have. I have had an entire set of tiles dropped off once because maintenance got the wrong door, lol.

So many buildings are the same, people's routines are the same, add to it exhaustion and not paying attention, oblivious things are missed.

Old 10-04-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Sure you are. You referred to a case where cops were on duty, responding to a call.

This woman was not on duty, not responding to a call. She was not a "cop responding to a call and killed someone".

The police instruction not to enter a venue where there might be an armed suspect is not a matter of being on or off duty. It's a matter of combat tactics, and particularly intended to keep a person alive.

Guyger testified that even while still outside in the hall, she realized someone was in the apartment. Police protocol is that when there are no other lives in danger, call for backup rather than enter a room or building to confront a suspect.

Entering the apartment without backup is tactically stupid for anyone. If an armed citizen arrives at his house and sees through the window that a burglar is in the house, it's tactically stupid for him to enter the house.

When Guyger entered the apartment, she was fortunate that there wasn't really an armed assailant in the room, because he would have had all the tactical advantage as she entered the door. She would have been silhouetted in the doorway, while he could have been anywhere in the room behind any door, in any corner, behind any cover.

That's why that police procedure exists.

Old 10-04-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
I have lived in apartments my entire adult life, I easily believe going to the wrong door is possible, I have done it, many people have, I think they surveyed the building where they live and 20% said they have. I have had an entire set of tiles dropped off once because maintenance got the wrong door, lol.

So many buildings are the same, people's routines are the same, add to it exhaustion and not paying attention, oblivious things are missed.

They didn't ask the question, "Did you ever accidentally attempt to enter that apartment with the red doormat?"

The police officer who ran that informal, unprofessional survey did not break out a percentage who failed to recognize those apartments where the residents made an attempt to distinguish their doors. It could well be--and is most likely--that every error was with an undifferentiated door.

If he didn't explicitly break out that distinction, his survey is worthless.

Old 10-04-2019, 01:44 PM

She was not on duty, she was not responding to a call, seems you have problems understanding this.

The law makes no distinction between a cop and non-cop, I have posted this law already before.

As I said before, if it was in fact her apartment, and he was an intruder, it would never have been an issue, and you all certainly would not come on here with such thoughts.

Old 10-04-2019, 01:46 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:

Yes, going to the wrong door is possible. But that is where it stops, just like getting off the elevator on the wrong floor, or parking on the wrong level, these are mistakes your realize quickly and correct.

I am currently traveling out of the country, I went to the wrong door(one room off) at the last hotel I was at a few days ago.

Thing is before I even put the card key in the door I realized my mistake.

Any apt I have lived in has the unit number on the door, the victim also had a bright red door mat.

How was all of this missed? Than you're in the unit and don't realize this isn't my apartment...wrong furniture.

I get the wrong door, wrong floor, what I don't get is not realizing it within seconds.

Old 10-04-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
They didn't ask the question, "Did you ever accidentally attempt to enter that apartment with the red doormat?"

The police officer who ran that informal, unprofessional survey did not break out a percentage who failed to recognize those apartments where the residents made an attempt to distinguish their doors. It could well be--and is most likely--that every error was with an undifferentiated door.

If he didn't explicitly break out that distinction, his survey is worthless.
The survey was fine, you are under the assumption without evidence that she noticed it was not her apartment, noticed the door mat and made the connection it was not her apartment.

If you had evidence, you should have given it over.

I am not really understand why this is a difficult concept for some people, but I do know actually, being obtuse because it is not what some of you all wanted it to be.

Old 10-04-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Yes, going to the wrong door is possible. But that is where it stops, just like getting off the elevator on the wrong floor, or parking on the wrong level, these are mistakes your realize quickly and correct.

I am currently traveling out of the country, I went to the wrong door(one room off) at the last hotel I was at a few days ago.

Thing is before I even put the card key in the door I realized my mistake.

Any apt I have lived in has the unit number on the door, the victim also had a bright red door mat.

How was all of this missed? Than you're in the unit and don't realize this isn't my apartment...wrong furniture.

I get the wrong door, wrong floor, what I don't get is not realizing it within seconds.
You know, I am not really understanding this debate at all. I mean what do you want, you want it really to be that she knew him, hated him, and decided to go murder him?

Is this the crux of the debate here?

It is simple, stupidly simple, she worked all day, she was exhausted and not paying attention with her face buried in her phone, went to the wrong apartment and by all the "luck", the damn door was not shut all the way and she reacted in a very poor, panicked manner. She got charged, sentenced, that is all. It is not even a complicated event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies