Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2018, 12:10 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
What I'm saying is because of affirmative action females and other "minorities" usually don't have to score as high on tests as a white male or certain standards are lowered for females. Most of the applicants are white males and to make room for more diversity a white male has to score much higher to get one of the slots and is usually scrutinized more and less likely to be given the benefit of the doubt. Besides you are referencing aggressiveness. Her big problem was lack of attentiveness and thinking things through.
You are wrong. Actually males have a distinct advantage in LE hiring because of "veterans preference" there are far more men who have served in the military than women and veterans are placed at the top of the hiring lists. There is no equivalent advantage for females or for minority races/ethnicities without military service.

Claims such as yours usually come from white guys who applied and didn't get hired and need someone or something to blame for their failure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 12:10 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Oh please. Taking a gun out deliberately & deliberately shooting someone is not an accident. She deserves to rot in hell. I could give 2 shytes that her poor life is forever changed. No sympathy from me. Maybe she’ll suffer some unfortunate “accident “.
You sound just as bad. Yikes.

Old 09-14-2018, 12:24 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
You sound just as bad. Yikes.
Shrug, like I said, deliberate action, not an accident. So you can stop with the “accident” nonsense.

Old 09-14-2018, 01:11 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,871,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You are wrong. Actually males have a distinct advantage in LE hiring because of "veterans preference" there are far more men who have served in the military than women and veterans are placed at the top of the hiring lists. There is no equivalent advantage for females or for minority races/ethnicities without military service.

Claims such as yours usually come from white guys who applied and didn't get hired and need someone or something to blame for their failure.
Anyone who is a veteran can get veteran's preference. All minorities and women get an advantage worth as much or more as veteran preference that no males or whites get.

Old 09-14-2018, 01:24 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,506,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I think that is correct and is manslaughter. I think it is murky that she could be convicted of murder if it was that her intent was self defense.
She could claim self-defense whether she's charged with murder or manslaughter.

You're looking at her entering the apt. and shooting him as a single event. I see them as two events: 1. she recklessly entered the apt., and 2. she murdered him by intentionally firing her gun twice causing the victim's death.

One definition of murder in Texas is when a person intends to cause serious bodily injury and commits an act clearly dangerous to human life that causes the death of an individual. That's what she did.

Anyway, at least they charged her with something more serious than trespassing.

Old 09-14-2018, 01:27 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
She'll walk.

That would be the second crime against Jean, but I predict she'll walk.
I think so, too. They're presenting it as an innocent mistake that anyone could make. She thought she was in her apartment and an intruder was going to do harm to her and she felt her life was at stake. You know...because police are vulnerable even in their own homes. Poor thing.

Old 09-14-2018, 01:29 PM

4,135 posts, read 2,838,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
She'll walk.

That would be the second crime against Jean, but I predict she'll walk.
I feel the same, I hope we're wrong.

Old 09-14-2018, 01:33 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Does not look good that she's walking around on bail and they toss HIS apartment.

Old 09-14-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
She could claim self-defense whether she's charged with murder or manslaughter.

You're looking at her entering the apt. and shooting him as a single event. I see them as two events: 1. she recklessly entered the apt., and 2. she murdered him by intentionally firing her gun twice causing the victim's death.

One definition of murder in Texas is when a person intends to cause serious bodily injury and commits an act clearly dangerous to human life that causes the death of an individual. That's what she did.

Anyway, at least they charged her with something more serious than trespassing.
You have to look at the whole event to determine causation, her knowledge, state of mind and intent. There's no way you can determine what a homicide is other wise. Your argument is if someone shoots someone else and they die, it must be murder. Texas law does define murder as you described but basically the prosecutors are going to have to prove she shot him knowing it wasn't her apartment and he wasn't an intruder to prove murder. They have to show intention in the sense of a guilty mind and not just that she intentionally pulled the trigger.

Old 09-14-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Does not look good that she's walking around on bail and they toss HIS apartment.
So no bail for manslaughter? You realize after 8 months till an arrest Officer Noor was charged with murder and bailed out in a few hours. Jean's apartment is the crime scene after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies