Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2018, 12:01 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,036,841 times

Advertisements

Plenty of people are conservative on some issues and liberal on others - one of many reasons so many of us refuse to be pigeonholed into a political party ideology. The abortion debate has been on for as long as I can remember & I'm in my 50's. It would take a lot - a LOT - to have R v. W overturned, and waste precious time & resources to do so. Imo, late term abortions shouldn't even be on the negotiating table, period. I'm not all in on the rights and practices of abortion, but there's too many specific reasons why it will always be an option; and that many more that are a sound argument against it. Meanwhile, other pressing issues get put to the side or have to wait in line behind the abortion debate. I'd like to see other battles fought and decided first, this one will still be waiting.

Glad to see this thread revived from a few weeks ago, when I didn't have an opportunity to comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2018, 12:14 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,036,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
In my opinion, a conservative is someone who votes republican, or for any of the right-wing parties. I’m happy to see that many conservatives are not in favor of overturning such important issues in our country. I just hope that SCOTUS agrees! I really should have made this a poll, sorry!
Unfortunately your opinion of what conservatives are is an opinion a lot of people share - incorrectly.

I also read a comment that Kavanaugh will work to overturn R v. W. I watched much of the early stages of hearings....Kavanugh stated that R v. W is "settled law". I realize settled law is not an absolute, but I'm taking the guy at his word and hope the SCOTUS decides other laws before them first.

Old 09-23-2018, 12:15 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,325,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Or how many would be lost... women aren't going to just quit having abortions. They had them in back alleys and at home pre-Roe v Wade.
Or what the crime rate will be in 20 years forcing someone who's not ready to become a mother to carry till term and give birth.

Old 09-23-2018, 12:37 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,631 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
don't want babies, don't have sex period.
Your post is, in a nutshell, what makes me so uncomfortable about men who are against abortion.

I know many women who are against abortion, and they use terms like abortion stops a beating heart. Even 6 week old embryos can feel pain and are being ripped apart. Every child is a blessing, a gift from God. That sort of thing.

When men are against abortion, it just sounds so very punitive. Very focused on punishing women for having sex in the first place, and their penance is that they now have a child no one (and certainly not the man expressing this opinion) wants.

It just makes me feel very uncomfortable. And I'm guessing those men who make statements like that aren't getting a lot of sex.

Old 09-23-2018, 12:38 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,985,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
I am really concerned that our country is going in the wrong direction. Can you imagine how many lives will be destroyed if such things were to be overturned?
No and no to answer your questions.

Old 09-23-2018, 12:43 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenHair View Post
Roe vs. Wade: (1) The woman who won at the US supreme court is now against abortion. (2) There is nothing in the constitution for or against abortion. It should have been left up to the individual states as per the 10th amendment.

Same sex marriage: Although I am an atheist, god made Adam and Eve; not Adam and Steve.
You claim to be an atheist but believe the tale about a diety creating Adam and Eve?

Old 09-23-2018, 01:16 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,631 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
You claim to be an atheist but believe the tale about a diety creating Adam and Eve?
I know. Annoying. And over-used. Like that's so funny I forgot to laugh. When you assume you make an ass out of you and me. Not funny, not appreciated, not enlightening.

I wonder now, how many happily married gay couples there are named Adam and Steve. ;D

Old 09-23-2018, 01:28 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,225,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Well the human race certainly didn't come from two males or two females, now did it?

Old 09-23-2018, 01:30 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,225,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Your post is, in a nutshell, what makes me so uncomfortable about men who are against abortion.

I know many women who are against abortion, and they use terms like abortion stops a beating heart. Even 6 week old embryos can feel pain and are being ripped apart. Every child is a blessing, a gift from God. That sort of thing.

When men are against abortion, it just sounds so very punitive. Very focused on punishing women for having sex in the first place, and their penance is that they now have a child no one (and certainly not the man expressing this opinion) wants.

It just makes me feel very uncomfortable. And I'm guessing those men who make statements like that aren't getting a lot of sex.
You apparently have never heard of birth control, abstinence, or actually wanting a child.

Women have options - nobody is being punished.

Do you think its punishment to not be allowed to kill people you don't like or want around you?

Like people you work with that are total wankers...is it punishing you that you can't just stab them with a letter opener?

Old 09-23-2018, 01:46 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Well the human race certainly didn't come from two males or two females, now did it?
No. It very cleary did not. I also think marriage should have been pretty much reserved for young heterosexuals of child bearing age as that is what the instution was clearly meant for. Same sex couples should simply have had their partnerships elevated to include all the same rights and responsibilites provided to married people under the law, but we did not need to have called it marriage.

In general, I fully recognize that society has much more interest in the success of heterosexual marriages, most especially those that have or will have children. Same sex relationships matter to some degree, but far less due to the interest in society having children. The lines have blurred as some gay persons have children and are married.

Anyway, we are way past this now as gay rights activists did not want to accept anything less than marriage itself. I was not one of them.

I am gay and married and am humbled that the society allowed me these rights. After 20 years, we just wanted basic rights and cared now one bit what anyone called it. That too was opposed by religious zealots. Since they opposed calling it something else too, they can eat crap and die and accept the law of the land.

I now strongly oppose anyone touching Obergefell and remind activist justices of stare decisis.

As for Roe, I want it untouched but would like to see an end to late term abortions even though I know such procedures are rare.

Oh and I am pretty conservative athough in my youth I was a leftist.

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 09-23-2018 at 01:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies