Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 11:25 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Interesting. Never thought along those lines, but now that you have me doing so, I'd say the numbers are reversed! I'm just over 60 now, not as fit as I used to be but not overweight and most of my friends and family are not overweight, even moderately.

Still..., I know age is no friend to staying slender. I think it much depends on life-long eating and exercise habits. I never had soda in the house while growing up. My wife and I have never had soda in the house for our kids either, both kids not overweight today either. My wife and I walk just about every day, at least a mile. My wife is a vegetarian. I'm not, but I have to thank my wife for always pushing us toward healthier foods, low-to-no fat, organic, little-to-no sugar. I draw the line at IN-N-OUT though. No way am I giving up my two cheeseburgers with grilled onions, fries and a milk that I have been enjoying since I was 16...
Little-to-no sugar is what's keeping you lean.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:28 AM

88,585 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
How nice, celebrate obesity as something to accept and treat as if it's something 'normal' and 'healthy.'

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/curv...211521184.html
But it's OK to celebrate unhealthy underweight in that same industry as if that's normal and healthy.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:35 AM

52,268 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
But it's OK to celebrate unhealthy underweight in that same industry as if that's normal and healthy.
Good point. So many of those models are so ghastly thin and they've got that vacant low blood sugar from lack of energy stare.

Old 09-10-2018, 12:08 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,990 times
After seeing the pictures, I am realizing that most people don't know the difference between thick and obese. That blonde model is absolutely gorgeous and is in no way obese.

Old 09-10-2018, 12:09 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
After seeing the pictures, I am realizing that most people don't know the difference between thick and obese. That blonde model is absolutely gorgeous and is in no way obese.
Some of them absolutely were obese though.

Old 09-10-2018, 12:14 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Lol, I guarantee every single obnoxious person on this thread insulting this woman is an out of shape, fat ass who does nothing but pound on their keyboard while stuffing their fat ugly faces. 100% guarantee.
suuuuuuuuure, they are. and you can '100% guarantee' it. lol

Old 09-10-2018, 12:32 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Yep. When I was a kid Marilyn Monroe was the beauty standard. (You can find pictures of her without her face glop and hair spray, these are my favorites - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ed-London.html). By the time I was a teenager, she would have been considered too fat to be a high fashion model, and it’s been that way for the past forty years. !
Although I thought Marilyn Monroe had a great figure in "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes", I thought she was much too fat in "Some Like It Hot", in which I think she looks at least 25 pounds heavier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur9GKLl8v4U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI_lUHOCcbc

(Btw, although I was never anywhere near as beautiful as she was (to say the least), I have always had an hourglass figure similar to MM's; however, that has not been a great thing. Keeping excess weight off has always been difficult for me, and although I was 34-22-34 in high school, I would have almost killed to have the slender legs and upper arms of my very slim classmates, instead of the heavy and fatty upper arms and legs I was genetically predisposed to have. The only good thing now is that even though I have gained an average of a pound a year since I was 17, at least I still have a very defined waist -- and I am just glad and grateful that my husband likes my increased "voluptuousness", LOL!)

Old 09-10-2018, 01:15 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
When I was young, "curvy" meant figures like those of Raquel Welch or Lynda Carter.

Now, curvy means, 'shaped like a refrigerator'.

I have no problem with women of different shapes being considered attractive, but curvy always referred to the ratio between the bust, waist, and hips, not the multitude of folds of fat.

Old 09-10-2018, 01:43 PM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
It was a fashion show, not a beauty contest. Overweight women need to wear clothing too and should be able to see what clothing options are available to them.
I was expecting HUGE from the thread title. Instead I found typical.

Old 09-10-2018, 01:59 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
When I was young, "curvy" meant figures like those of Raquel Welch or Lynda Carter.

Now, curvy means, 'shaped like a refrigerator'.

Quote:
I have no problem with women of different shapes being considered attractive, but curvy always referred to the ratio between the bust, waist, and hips, not the multitude of folds of fat.
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies