Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2018, 02:28 PM

13,507 posts, read 16,977,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I think Serena has a valid gripe here in that the chair very rarely issues a formal warning for coaching. It's the same way people rarely ever get speeding citations for doing 27 in a 25. Given how loosely the prohibition against on court coaching is enforced, I could see how Serena would think her racquet smash was Strike One rather than Strike Two. That's why she said "You stole a point from me" because the coaching rule is hardly ever enforced and the deciding set of a Slam final seems to be as inopportune a time as ever to enforce it. Personally, I would not have issued the third infraction for "verbal abuse" as what she said didn't seem to be all that offensive, but that's just me. I'd rather have the players decide the match unless, of course, someone starts talking trash about my family.
If Serena wasn't a child, she would have known better than to smash her racket after the warning, and would have known to stop carrying on. Being that she has the mentality of a 12 year old, she wasn't capable of it. So maybe Ramos is guilty of child abuse because Serena is a mental child?

I'm just so tired of people making excuses for her for years when she behaves like a baby and a bully.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:29 PM

31,938 posts, read 34,477,504 times
The classy Roger Federer, folks.

"I wasn't allowed to challenge after 2 seconds and this guy takes like 10. I don't give a s___ what he said. Every time. You have any rules in there or what because you're really showing your hand, okay. Don't tell me to be quiet, okay. When I want to talk, I'll talk, alright. I don't give a s___ what he said. I'm just saying it's way too long. Don't f____g tell me the rules. I was not allowed to challenge. Don't even talk to me."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZB9JfhzLzE

Old 09-10-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
If Serena wasn't a child, she would have known better than to smash her racket after the warning, and would have known to stop carrying on. Being that she has the mentality of a 12 year old, she wasn't capable of it. So maybe Ramos is guilty of child abuse because Serena is a mental child?

I'm just so tired of people making excuses for her for years when she behaves like a baby and a bully.
What a baby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCTpZpJc1j0

Old 09-10-2018, 02:31 PM

13,808 posts, read 5,527,336 times
Quote:
I think Serena has a valid gripe here in that the chair very rarely issues a formal warning for coaching. It's the same way people rarely ever get speeding citations for doing 27 in a 25. Given how loosely the prohibition against on court coaching is enforced, I could see how Serena would think her racquet smash was Strike One rather than Strike Two.
She played in her first pro tournament 23 years ago. She has since played in hundreds of grand slam matches, and she knows the rules. There is no way she can claim ignorance about receiving the warning, why she received it, what the rule is, etc. And even if she was somehow totally ignorant of the rules of tennis, when she smashed her racket and got her second violation, the rules were clear enough and she as definitely aware of where she stood. Ramos didn't make her smash that racket, her temper did. And when she was aware of the point penalty, she knew what a further violation meant. She knew good and well, but methinks she also knew she was losing the match either way, so why not go out with some theater and publicity, eh?

And the coaching violation does get called, on men and women. Her coach claims "everyone does it" but that doesn't make it any less a rule violation. The umpire saw it, her coach admitted it, and it got called. Read the freaking rule book of grand slam events, Serena. None of this is secret.

And her "I thought that got rescinded" complaint when she smashed her racquet? Stop it. Just stop trying to play innocent and ignorant victim.
Quote:
That's why she said "You stole a point from me" because the coaching rule is hardly ever enforced and the deciding set of a Slam final seems to be as inopportune a time as ever to enforce it.
The warning for the coaching violation, which her coach admitted to btw, didn't cost her anything. Not a single thing. Her actions after that, which cannot possibly be refuted or overlooked as "ho hum, whatever" moments, are what cost her one point and then one game.
Quote:
Personally, I would not have issued the third infraction for "verbal abuse" as what she said didn't seem to be all that offensive, but that's just me. I'd rather have the players decide the match unless, of course, someone starts talking trash about my family.
She accused the chair umpire of cheating and then berated him and the two tournament officials. Plenty of people have gotten verbal abuse violations for less. Ask Jeff Tarango.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:38 PM

17,929 posts, read 27,339,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Yep, not nearly left enough so I'm the enemy....of both sides, by the way!

Following the logic of some posters who are defending Serena, I just have to ask - why do they hate Japanese people so much?
Hmmm... You just might be a little bit less an enemy of the right now, after this revelation.

One day, when we're done fighting each other and we run out of sides to pick, we may start to realize we are both mouth-breathers after all.

Quote:

That's just poor sportsmanship. It's easy to be gracious when you win.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
And the coaching violation does get called, on men and women. Her coach claims "everyone does it" but that doesn't make it any less a rule violation. The umpire saw it, her coach admitted it, and it got called. Read the freaking rule book of grand slam events, Serena. None of this is secret.
How many matches have you seen where a player gets cited for coaching? That's honestly the first time I've seen it and that was certainly the first time a coaching violation has been called in a match of that magnitude. Everyone who knows tennis knows that the warning for coaching is considered a "soft" infraction and players and coaches skate on it 99.9% of the time. It's such a rarely enforced rule that it's almost meaningless.

A "rule is a rule" in this thread yet when Paul Manafort gets busted for not registering as a foreign agent, the cries are "that law is never enforced!" Which is it? Rules always matter or they don't matter at all when selectively enforced.

I can't expect much of a discussion out of rabid partisans who hardly follow the sport. Just figured I'd add my two cents.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:48 PM

13,808 posts, read 5,527,336 times
Quote:
Sure, but lots of sports figures blow up and rarely get called out for a lack of professionalism. Every week in college football, a coach slams his headset on the ground and gets in the face of a referee (usually drawing a penalty) and nobody ever says the coach needs to check his emotions. You never hear that sort of thing said about men unless they go full Ron Artest or Rodman.
College football cracked down on coach/sideline behavior back in 2014 and have gotten stricter every year since. The NFL cracked down before that, and have gotten stricter every year. Player misconduct on the sidelines (think OBJ and his sideline tantrums) draws suspensions and fines, and G-d help anyone in pro football who openly criticizes the league, the rules or the...gasp...referees.

And really, nobody gets penalized? Chase Young was ejected from the Ohio State - Rutgers game about the same time Serena was melting down. His "aggregious" offenses? Offense 1 - spiking the ball after sacking the Rutgers QB and Offense 2 - running on the field, after the play was over, to celebrate a teammate who intercepted Rutgers. Two celebrations, ejected.

Yesterday, Artie Burns of the Steelers got a 15 yard unsportsmanlike for taking his helmet off in the field of play.

And for serious rules sticklers, look no further than MLB. The days of Billy Martin kicking dirt on umps is ancient history. Now, if a batter stares at an ump after a questionable ball/strike call at the plate, even if they don't say a word, they can be ejected from the game and fined by MLB. Literally just for staring.

No no, pro sports and college sports are tougher than ever on conduct rules. Across the board really. Even hockey has all but outlawed fighting and even really hard checks. Doesn't take any effort at all to get a 2 minute minor anymore, and even double minors and majors are being called for all sorts of stuff that even 10 years ago wouldn't have even stopped play much less sent someone to the box.

It's across the board. Serena can stop whining. She acted like a sore loser. Done.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
The classy Roger Federer, folks.

"I wasn't allowed to challenge after 2 seconds and this guy takes like 10. I don't give a s___ what he said. Every time. You have any rules in there or what because you're really showing your hand, okay. Don't tell me to be quiet, okay. When I want to talk, I'll talk, alright. I don't give a s___ what he said. I'm just saying it's way too long. Don't f____g tell me the rules. I was not allowed to challenge. Don't even talk to me."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZB9JfhzLzE
Where did he call the ump thief? Was that Ramos in the chair? Did Ramos apply different rules to Osaka?

And he said "don't show me the hand" not you're showing your hand. The guy was trying to get him to shut up, which is why he raised his hand to him.

By the way, Federer was 100% right about that late challenge..should never have been allowed.

Ramos was 100% right about the coaching.

100% right about the racquet smash.

At that point Serena needed to shut her mouth, and she couldn't, because she is a child.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Where did he call the ump thief? Was that Ramos in the chair? Did Ramos apply different rules to Osaka?

And he said "don't show me the hand" not you're showing your hand. The guy was trying to get him to shut up, which is why he raised his hand to him.

By the way, Federer was 100% right about that late challenge..should never have been allowed.

Ramos was 100% right about the coaching.

100% right about the racquet smash.

At that point Serena needed to shut her mouth, and she couldn't, because she is a child.
Federer should have shut his mouth. He's not a child. Being right about a call doesn't then give you the right to berate an umpire and drop obscenities. That could technically be considered "verbal abuse," and if you are a true fan of the sport, you understand that verbal abuse doesn't have to be directed at an umpire to be considered an infraction. So when Federer yells at fans "SHUT UP!!!" he should be issued a code violation for that.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Do you think he continued to carry on after he got code violations for those actions?
You're trying very hard to convince everyone that Serena isn't a bully and a child by pointing out someone who has -

-never threatened a line judge
-never called an umpire a cheater, and has also admitted that people have played better than him. Serena can barely admit anytime she's lost..that's why she has these incidents..she knows she is going to lose and can't handle it, so she goes ballistic and creates a scene. A child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies