Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 09:59 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,465,032 times

Advertisements

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...res-power-play

"Chair umpire Carlos Ramos managed to rob not one but two players in the women’s U.S. Open final. Nobody has ever seen anything like it: An umpire so wrecked a big occasion that both players, Naomi Osaka and Serena Williams alike, wound up distraught with tears streaming down their faces during the trophy presentation and an incensed crowd screamed boos at the court. Ramos took what began as a minor infraction and turned it into one of the nastiest and most emotional controversies in the history of tennis, all because he couldn’t take a woman speaking sharply to him...

Male players have sworn and cursed at the top of their lungs, hurled and blasted their equipment into shards, and never been penalized as Williams was in the second set of the U.S. Open final...."

Old 09-08-2018, 10:06 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
She was playing a fellow female so I'm not sure what her comments are suppose to mean. If her opponent did what she did then she'd get punished too, right?

Old 09-08-2018, 10:41 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cofor View Post
Correct, she is saying the standards of conduct are different for men and women on the court. Which they are. Men say far worse to umpires, and it doesn't result in a code violation or penalty. She never said she lost due to sexism, that was just the OP being a troll
That makes her comments odd then. Not sexist, but bizarre.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:05 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
I watched the entire second set and the trophy ceremony.

Two comments on this thread on point:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
If she'd have kept her mouth shut after the warning, she'd have been OK. She might not have won the match, but she wouldn't have made a fool of herself.
Exactly. She just couldn't let it go, but kept ragging and ragging on Carlos, demanding an apology. The coaching violation did NOT accuse her of cheating, but - typical Serena - she had it make it all about herself - saying he was calling her a "cheater."

And, then, she called Ramos a THIEF.

GMAFB.

I'll never forget the US Open Championship many years ago when she approached a linesman pointing a finger and swearing using the F word because the linesman called a foot fault. Serena was disqualified and couldn't play for about six months, iirc.

Serena is a giant PITA prima donna. Her behavior today - for someone with her experience and accomplishments - was unacceptable. Any other professional would have put that coaching violation behind them -- but not Serena - it had to be all about her.

THIS - IN PARTICULAR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Uh. The first time she went to Carlos and said she was not a cheater...fine. I would be incensed at being accused of cheating.

The continued ranting and demanding apologies after that? Not classy. Throwing a racquet so hard the frame was destroyed? Not classy. I would have players (male or female) thrown out just for that move alone.

If anyone watched that match, she was outclassed this evening. Her first service % was in the toilet. Her double faults. Her unforced errors and missed opportunities...all that happened BEFORE any controversy started.

She never said she lost bc of sexism. She was mad that guys allegedly get away with worse behavior. That's like whining to the cop that everyone else was speeding, too. You still broke the rules. The answer is to start busting everyone else. Not let you off scot free.
And - you do not, on top of it all, call the umpire a THIEF - for imposing the rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Serena is like so many athletes with obviously superior physical gifts. The fact that she has to face defeat with class is simply too much for her. She was being beaten — soundly — by her young opponent, and she just couldn’t handle it. The penalties she was assessed following the warning (which should have been the end of it) were the direct result of her infantile behavior. Throwing out feminism, motherhood, and all the rest are just a smokescreen to divert attention from her embarrassing straight set loss. Serena got what she wanted: the sympathy of the moronic half of the public and media, hogging the spotlight for herself even in defeat, and an opponent who all but apologized for beating her. Too bad so many are ignoring Osaka and her total, easy dominance of a classless ex-champion.
Totally agree. Indeed, sure took the frosting off the cake for what would have been a well-deserved win for Osaka. Darn shame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Ramos took what began as a minor infraction and turned it into one of the nastiest and most emotional controversies in the history of tennis, all because he couldn’t take a woman speaking sharply to him...
Whoa ...... NO - IT WAS SERENA WHO TURNED A MOLEHILL INTO A MOUNTAIN. I saw the whole thing. She was behaving like a spoiled brat. A professional of her caliber should have put that violation behind her - but, no, Serena had to consider it a personal attack. Ridiculous display on her part. SERENA's bad behavior ruined it for Osaka. Osaka needs to remove Serena from the role model list - ASAP.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 09-08-2018 at 11:17 PM..

Old 09-08-2018, 11:09 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
I believe it was four separate occasions where SW confronted the umpire during the match, and once afterwards.

I don't think the ump directly accused her of cheating - but that's how she took it... and she couldn't let it go.

I think the whole "no coaching" rule is pretty stupid. Who cares if they coach... they are not playing, and as long as the match is not held up, so what?

SW's behavior was bad. The fans behavior was bad. The trophy celebration was heartbreaking as Osaka apologized for winning. The chairman's first remark was that it was not the result we wanted and focused her initial comments on SW and how great she is - that was in bad form. It was a total debacle.

And to top it off, SW turns it into a social justice issue. It just seems like less and less people take responsibility for their actions and seek to be the offended victim. SW needs to own her part in that whole mess.

Osaka ... totally outplayed SW. Period.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:15 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I believe it was four separate occasions where SW confronted the umpire.

I don't think the ump directly accused her of cheating - but that's how she took it... and she couldn't let it go.

I think the whole "no coaching" rule is pretty stupid. Who cares if they coach... they are not playing, and as long as the match is not held up, so what?

SW's behavior was bad. The fans behavior was bad. The trophy celebration was heartbreaking as Osaka apologized for winning. The chairman of the USTA first remarks was that it was not the result we wanted and focused her initial comments on SW and how great she is - that was in bad form. It was a total debacle.

And to top it off, SW turns it into a social justice issue. It just seems like less and less people take responsibility for their actions and seek to be the offended victim. SW needs to own her part in that whole mess.

Osaka ... totally outplayed SW. Period.
Absolutely - to all of it. I couldn't believe my ears when I heard the chairman of the USTA - yowza - debacle is right. How to take it away from Osaka. And, yes, Serena was outplayed.

Shame on Serena. If she had behaved herself, none of this would have happened. Who knows - there might even have been a third set - which is what I expected the match to be, the usual underdog takes first set, favorite rallies and wins the match.

This is all on Serena.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:33 PM

264 posts, read 100,939 times
Serena lost today to Naomi Osaka, a young lady 16 years her junior. In retrospect, Serena will realize that she might have done a few things differently.

Naomi played exceptionally well and was quite composed considering that she is only 20 years of age!

Yes, rules are rules. But, rules are not applied equitably. I know this. Serena should know this as well.

It is as if certain people have to be super human - beyond reproach and not break any rules and very near perfect in everything that they do! Yes, this is impossible you might say. But, if it needs to occur, then it must! It will only make Serena even better!

Serena has experienced a lot over the last year from a possible fatal child birth to differential treatment from wearing a catsuit at the French Open several weeks ago.

I believe that there were a lot of emotions that she had to release and the opportunity presented itself when she lost the first set then received a warning for coaching as Naomi Osaka continued to match Serena in power - serving and returning serves over and over.

Serena will win another major. Yes, she will tie the record. Yes, she will break the record of 24 championships.

She needs to re-dedicate herself, continue to propel herself as she has done again and again in the past.

Serena's story is inspirational! Naomi story is inspirational as well.

But, the point is often missed as it relates to both Serena and Naomi's inspirational story!

The point that is crucial is that these young ladies and their sisters have fathers that oftentimes experienced racism and bigotry throughout their life. In response, they funneled this hatred and negative treatment into instilling into their children the need to excel. Richard Williams selected tennis as the path to follow for success. Leonard "San" François, Naomi's father was inspired by Richard Williams' success at raising successful tennis players.

Through deliberate practice, hard work, discipline and tenacity, the children applied themselves and now they are successful!

Old 09-08-2018, 11:51 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
This is "quite a moment" only in that it shows an American crowd booing while the young female champion, a foreigner there to receive her award, stands and cries. Serena fans have shown themselves to be the ultimate "ugly Americans".

Serena did well to try to comfort her, but then what normal human being wouldn't have done the same if they had been standing beside Osaka? I don't know how much credit she deserves merely for showing that she is capable of ordinary human decency.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:57 PM

435 posts, read 176,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
That makes her comments odd then. Not sexist, but bizarre.
I think some of her words were bizarre, but not the sexist comments. Anyone who watches tennis knows that there are double standards with the actual rules as well as enforcement.

Alize Cornet being given an unsportsmanlike code violation for flipping her shirt around on court earlier in the tournament clearly illustrated that. The controversy surrounding that probably put that at the front of Serena's mind.

I wouldn't automatically chalk it up to sexism, but I have never seen someone get assessed a violation for such a benign exchange in a regular match, much less during the finals of a Grand Slam and as a game violation in a match deciding 3-4 second set. I have seen players curse umpires and get up in their face without penalty. Serena has done that at the US Open herself. Calling that game penalty was an emotional reaction by the umpire, the question is, based in what?

I was pulling for Naomi btw. I have liked her ever since she apologized for beating the crowd favorite in the Australian Open earlier this year. She is a breath of fresh air in sports.

Last edited by J_Quayle_Higgins_III; 09-09-2018 at 12:09 AM..

Old 09-09-2018, 12:14 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cofor View Post
I think some of her words were bizarre, but not the sexist comments. Anyone who watches tennis knows that there are double standards with the actual rules as well as enforcement.

Alize Cornet being given an unsportsmanlike code violation for flipping her shirt around on court earlier in the tournament clearly illustrated that. The controversy surrounding that probably put that at the front of Serena's mind.
... to moonbats who think it's a "double standard" to have different norms regarding men and women taking their shirts off in public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies