Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2018, 02:49 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,516,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
And that is solely their choice.

The mentally ill homeless choose not to take the medication that would give them the stability to hold jobs and maintain a home.

Legally, there's nothing you can do about it. You cannot compel people to take medication, and you cannot lock up the mentally ill, unless they are an immediate violent threat to themselves or others, and even then you can only lock them up for 72 hours.

Why should we waste tax-payer dollars on people who refuse to take their medication?

The substance abusers who are homeless choose to abuse alcohol or drugs to the point they cannot hold a job or maintain a home. They refuse to stop using alcohol or drugs, and refuse to seek counseling.

You cannot compel people to enter substance abuse treatment programs, unless they have been arrested for a drug or alcohol related offense, and it is ordered by a judge as part of their sentence, and even then, those people don't want to be in a substance abuse counseling program.

Why should we waste tax-payer money on people who refuse treatment and choose to abuse alcohol or drugs?

The tiny fraction of homeless who might actually work choose not to relocate to another part of the US where they can afford housing, even at minimum wage.

Why should we waste tax-payer money on people who refuse to relocate?

If it would be up to me, I'd round them up, bring them before a judge and have them declared incompetent and made wards of the State, then cart them off to a homeless reservation, you know, like an Indian reservation, only different.

It takes money to relocate- how are you going to relocate to somewhere cheaper if you don't have any money?

How are you going to keep people on this 'homeless reservation'? Where is it going to be located- on some island? There are thousands of homeless people in California alone- what place is going to hold the millions of homeless people around the country? Do we leave them to battle it out survivor style with the people who are off their meds and the drug addicts battling it out?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 02:50 PM

17,875 posts, read 27,269,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Same old story, the rich keep getting richer and the poor keep getting poorer, except that we are
practically back to a Caste system society now.
It is a tale of epic sadness that some people could work full time jobs and still struggle to feed their families and sometimes still end up homeless.
America should be better than this.

Beautiful. Obama destroyed that notion twice here. Once when he finally admitted the economy was great again, crumbs flying everywhere, secondly, if Trump is such a huge mentally unfit failure for America, why is Barack Hussein Obama now taking credit for it?

Old 09-10-2018, 02:54 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,327,178 times
This should be right up the Democrats alley!
With pictures and everything to make it easier to understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ3wdDxrsCE

Old 09-10-2018, 03:33 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,086,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
This should be right up the Democrats alley!
With pictures and everything to make it easier to understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ3wdDxrsCE
How many threads are you going to post this in?

Old 09-10-2018, 03:43 PM

19,364 posts, read 12,017,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
It takes money to relocate- how are you going to relocate to somewhere cheaper if you don't have any money?

How are you going to keep people on this 'homeless reservation'? Where is it going to be located- on some island? There are thousands of homeless people in California alone- what place is going to hold the millions of homeless people around the country? Do we leave them to battle it out survivor style with the people who are off their meds and the drug addicts battling it out?
Electric fences and cattle prods.

And as to how to collect them-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wa4U6TQlNI

Old 09-10-2018, 03:54 PM

38,602 posts, read 26,213,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
3% average annual growth during his time as president is the goal. Or was it 4%?

So far, he's way behind on that goal, even with high oil prices, a booming oil industry and strong global growth.

I am sure the excuses will come as to why he couldnt achieve the goal. One thing is for sure; it is never, ever Trump's fault. A typical narcissist will always, every time, blame someone else and Trump has never admitted any mistake. Its an A+ presidency, best ever, incredible, amazing...meanwhile, the working class is getting crushed and Goldman Sachs laugh their heads off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g10WhdC2ag

Old 09-10-2018, 03:58 PM

45,680 posts, read 23,810,621 times
Job growth in the last 19 months consistent with the job growth in the previous 76 months.
GDP -- one good quarter -- but over all -- consistent with the job growth in the previous 5, 6, 7 years even
Wage growth -- going up in August -- should continue to rise given corporate tax cuts and corporate profits.

Prices increasing -- trade? got to get it sorted out or this could hurt us even more.

So the economy IS doing good. It's not all Trump. Some could argue in spite of Trump -- some think there was some magic that happened last January 21, 2018 and it's all just new and wonderful. It isn't.

And we'd be stupid to think it is.

As for stock market -- for those of us lucky to have extra to buy into a 401K or play in the market -- we are doing better.......but as we have seen many many times before.....it's a house of cards.......

Old 09-10-2018, 05:33 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,167,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post

And your answer is as partisan as they come, just for the other side.

You are reading through your own prism of bias. No one on this thread has chastised people who through no fault of their own are struggling. That is a point brought up repeatedly (the disabled) but it is a false attack because no one is questioning the need for support for people like that. And yes, the question of Obama/Clinton is a legitimate one, because the poster in question has started threads criticizing the Trump administration and their supposed treatment of the disabled. When it is pointed out that Trump is not quite 2 years in, and it is asked, what were your thoughts on the 16 years of Obama/Clinton, the question is ignored and I am accused of oversimplification. To my mind, it is still a legitimate question because the other poster seems to have his own partisan agenda.

Regarding the problem of the receptionist job, yes I did engage in a bit of hyperbole, but it does not change the fundamentals. For years libs have told blue collar workers such as coal miners or auto workers, look the jobs have changed, you need to retrain for a new position or go back to school. Now that it is being said back to you, you don't like it? A receptionist has almost always been an entry level job. You get your foot in the door of the company, and you move up to more responsibility and better pay.

Should the pay now be the same as 25 years ago? Maybe not, given the rise of computers and smart phones. Look at travel agents--they are practically non existent now. This is going to happen repeatedly over our lifetimes. I am plenty sympathetic. My husband and I were wiped out financially by the crash of 08. I know what it is like. When you get right down to it, though, how does sympathy help? How does blaming the big, mean, greedy corporations help? What helps is squaring your shoulders and lifting up your head and doing something different if you can. If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten.

And yes, people should look at what career they are interested in pursuing and see if the pay level meets their needs. There is no excuse not to do this.

Your "stark economic disparity" sounds like wealth redistribution. No thank you.
No, my post isn't partisan, and it's certainly not "as partisan as they come." Being critical of corporate or political policy is not inherently partisan or the sole perview of any political party. It can often feel that way due to the promotion of division by both parties but I don't affliate with any party. I'm not a Democrat, I agree with some ideas but and I am very conservative (actual conservative) on many issues. I do believe in true social justice which is where many of my criticisms come from but I'm definitely not a "social justice warrior," the democrats use social justice, and they implement many similar tactics to the right wing.

Quote:
Your "stark economic disparity" sounds like wealth redistribution.
The fact that it sounds that way to you is by careful design. You don't seem to see how almost everything you are stating is typical right wing propaganda. I'm not saying you don't believe these things or that your thoughts have no validity. Many here will have such knee jerk reactions because that is the partisan playbook answer to criticising and questioning corporate behavior and the politicians they fund. The right wing propaganda machine provides simplistic, black and white answers to protect corporate interests and keep people from acknowledging that there are real problems facing this country. The actions and consequences of corporate influence have harmed US workers and harm our economy. We must question this if want to continued growth.

A tremendous amount of money is spent to infuence politicians and spread propaganda to influence average Americans. I don't wish to offend you but your posts follow the right wing partisan playbook to a tee. Many posts on the thread do. Claiming I'm advocating "wealth redistribution," and "hate the big, mean corporations," defending exceptionally low pay because it's "entry level" work. Asking"what about Obama/Clinton?" when it is not relevent to the topic is common, it happens all over political forums. My answer to that is democrats are also part of the problem. All of our representatives are subject to lobbying and donor funds. The wealthy spend billions to support politicians and because of this their interests shape policy, even if those interests leave average Americans worse off.

Quote:
Somehow you take people saying "life isn't fair" as not being sympathetic.
I don't know where you got this from. This has nothing to do with sympathy. Demanding our representatives work for us and fighting against corporate greed and policies that hurt our overall economy has nothing to do with sympathy. Workers deserve a share in the economy for the work that they do and we can fight for better policies.

Last edited by detshen; 09-10-2018 at 05:50 PM..

Old 09-10-2018, 05:51 PM

9,545 posts, read 7,004,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
No, my post isn't partisan, and it's certainly not "as partisan as they come." Being critical of corporate or political policy is not inherently partisan or the sole perview of any political party. It can often feel that way due to the promotion of division by both parties but I don't affliate with any party. I'm not a Democrat, I agree with some ideas but and I am very conservative (actual conservative) on many issues. I do believe in true social justice which is where many of my criticisms come from but I'm definitely not a "social justice warrior," the democrats use social justice, and they implement many similar tactics to the right wing.

The fact that it sounds that way to you is by careful design. You don't seem to see how almost everything you are stating is typical right wing group think. I'm not saying you don't believe these things or that your thoughts have no validity. Many here will have such knee jerk reactions because that is the partisan playbook answer to criticising and questioning corporate behavior and the politicians they fund. The right wing propaganda machine provides simplistic, black and white answers to protect corporate interests and keep people from acknowledging that there are real problems facing this country. The actions and consequences of corporate influence have harmed US workers and harm our economy. We must question this if want to continued growth.

A tremendous amount of money is spent to infuence politicians and spread propaganda to influence average Americans. I don't wish to offend you but your posts follow the right wing partisan playbook to a tee. Many posts on the thread do. Claiming I'm advocating "wealth redistribution," and "hate the big, mean corporations," defending exceptionally low pay because it's "entry level" work. Asking"what about Obama/Clinton?" when it is not relevent to the topic is common, it happens all over political forums. My answer to that is democrats are also part of the problem. All of our representatives are subject to lobbying and donor funds. The wealthy spend billions to support politicians and because of this their interests shape policy, even if those interests leave average Americans worse off.

I don't know where you got this from. This has nothing to do with sympathy. Demanding our representatives work for us and fighting against corporate greed and policies that hurt our overall economy has nothing to do with sympathy. Workers deserve a share in the economy for the work that they do and we can fight for better policies.

You lost me at "right wing group think."

I believe in self-reliance. I'm never going to wait on the government to make things better for me and mine. That is MY responsibility.

You may call it propaganda if you like. However, I call it common sense.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:59 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,167,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
You lost me at "right wing group think."

I believe in self-reliance. I'm never going to wait on the government to make things better for me and mine. That is MY responsibility.

You may call it propaganda if you like. However, I call it common sense.
You are sadly lost to that "group think." Even here you continue to parrot the language of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies