Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 08:15 AM

14,693 posts, read 8,009,815 times

Advertisements

^If it makes you feel any better, I have known several people over the years like your tattooed niece, that eventually changed, got their lives together and became quite successful and happy in their later years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 08:29 AM

14,693 posts, read 8,009,815 times
I think our economy on some levels is doing well...there are more jobs, unfortunately they seem to be part time jobs or jobs in the service Industry for the most part, and they don't often pay well enough for a person to eek out a decent living.

I am not saying people should get the same amount of money for all jobs, but I think most people seem to think it only fair that if you work a full time job, at least you shouldn't starve or end up homeless.

I am not saying some people aren't in bad shape because of bad decisions...but some people have had a series of misfortune events...I just think if people work hard they should at least be able to have a roof over their heads and food to eat. And if other people work harder, they should have much more.

Right now we virtually have corporate welfare where corporations are given money, but they spend it all on millions for their CEO and stock holders and let their lower ring of employees be given scraps where they can barely make ends meet.

The rich get richer....at the expense of the taxpayers and middle class/working class people,
who seem to only get poorer. You see nothing wrong with this?

Old 09-12-2018, 08:32 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,793,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I think our economy on some levels is doing well...there are more jobs, unfortunately they seem to be part time jobs or jobs in the service Industry for the most part, and they don't often pay well enough for a person to eek out a decent living.

I am not saying people should get the same amount of money for all jobs, but I think most people seem to think it only fair that if you work a full time job, at least you shouldn't starve or end up homeless.

I am not saying some people aren't in bad shape because of bad decisions...but some people have had a series of misfortune events...I just think if people work hard they should at least be able to have a roof over their heads and food to eat. And if other people work harder, they should have much more.

Right now we virtually have corporate welfare where corporations are given money, but they spend it all on millions for their CEO and stock holders and let their lower ring of employees be given scraps where they can barely make ends meet.

The rich get richer....at the expense of the taxpayers and middle class/working class people,

Well said!

Old 09-12-2018, 08:55 AM

2,513 posts, read 1,834,415 times
We need economic growth like we saw at the start of WWII. Real wages doubled in a few years into the 1940s.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:04 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,689,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
We need economic growth like we saw at the start of WWII. Real wages doubled in a few years into the 1940s.
Just wait for the construction boom to start in a couple weeks in the Carolina's! That will bring some growth! Sheet rock, osb etc. prices will be going up!

Old 09-12-2018, 09:12 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,540,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post

Well said.

Overall, we need to stop judging the economy by how well the rich are doing. The Stock Market isn't the economy.

The data is all there... CEO Pay vs. Average Worker salary, the percentage of this big corporate tax windfall that is going into stock buybacks and C-suite bonuses, the continued lack of any trickle-down, the education gap, etc. etc.

This isn't simply a matter of some people not working hard enough, there has ALWAYS been those people. The system is rigged, and it gets more and more rigged every decade and the gains are only flowing up.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dianahe.../#4bd12b5a776d

For most Americans, real wages have barely budged for decades | Pew Research Center

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...ocracy/559130/

Old 09-12-2018, 06:54 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,777,739 times
Has anyone noticed that my claims of the Trump supporters trumpeting his gains were vilified under Obama or perhaps called "fudged"?

Old 09-12-2018, 07:09 PM

19,958 posts, read 8,860,828 times
sounds like some people will need to get second jobs until they can develop better paying skills.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:44 PM

3,008 posts, read 2,258,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
sounds like some people will need to get second jobs until they can develop better paying skills.
Saying people need to get more skills is a cop out. It is a cop out for people who could care less and sometimes despise the poor. There are a couple of problems with your scenario number one if a bunch of people get two jobs that is taking jobs from other people keeping them unemployed. Number two even if a bunch of people got more skills there is not enough higher paying jobs for everyone to work someone has to work these lower paying jobs but I know you are just sprouting the right wing garbage you follow.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:18 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,777,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
Saying people need to get more skills is a cop out. It is a cop out for people who could care less and sometimes despise the poor. There are a couple of problems with your scenario number one if a bunch of people get two jobs that is taking jobs from other people keeping them unemployed. Number two even if a bunch of people got more skills there is not enough higher paying jobs for everyone to work someone has to work these lower paying jobs but I know you are just sprouting the right wing garbage you follow.
Exactly. How exactly could people gain skills while working two jobs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies