Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 07:27 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofor View Post
I don't subscribe to all or nothing propositions. I don't think guns should be banned either. Comparing guns to knives is just dumb.
Depending on the context, I could agree with you. Nobody goes deer hunting with knives. The reason the argument sounds hollow is that the anti-gun folks do not apply their outrage uniformly. The outrage is political and selective. If someone is shot in a certain way by a certain somebody is when people march. The day you can guarantee I will never be attacked by an illegal gun, I'll turn over my guns. But you can't.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:27 PM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
lol, that is exactly what I said, yeah. rme 400 > 6 and as far as I know, no one died in this attack, probably because a knife was used instead of a gun.
Probably because the guy didn't know how to use it and wasn't a huge person. But keep running with that. Someone can rent a home depot truck and mow down hundreds of people in seconds. A large man that knows how to wield a weapon can kill many before anyone can stop them.

But let's just focus on the gun. It's only a matter of time before terrorists kill thousands in a high rise using some type of explosive and fire with fuel. But, let's focus on something legally owned by 250 plus million people.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:32 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,979,187 times
Quote:
I don't subscribe to all or nothing propositions. I don't think guns should be banned either. Comparing guns to knives is just dumb.
Actually its not. They are both deadly weapons, and for the most part they are used in one on one crimes. Mass shootings are the anomaly in the grand scheme of murders overall.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:34 PM

435 posts, read 176,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Probably because the guy didn't know how to use it and wasn't a huge person. But keep running with that. Someone can rent a home depot truck and mow down hundreds of people in seconds. A large man that knows how to wield a weapon can kill many before anyone can stop them.

But let's just focus on the gun. It's only a matter of time before terrorists kill thousands in a high rise using some type of explosive and fire with fuel. But, let's focus on something legally owned by 250 plus million people.
Ok, lets ignore what is being used to kill people now entirely because something else might happen at some point. Sounds legit, you keep running with that.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Actually its not. They are both deadly weapons, and for the most part they are used in one on one crimes. Mass shootings are the anomaly in the grand scheme of murders overall.
I think it is a dumb comparison, you don't, I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:37 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,214,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post

Didn't we already have terrorist kill almost 3 thousand armed with utility knives; and using kinetic energy from a plane and fuel which also added fire to the equation.

But I agree with your statement otherwise; none of these attacks are committed by inanimate non living object; there is always someone performing the attack.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Depending on the context, I could agree with you. Nobody goes deer hunting with knives. The reason the argument sounds hollow is that the anti-gun folks do not apply their outrage uniformly. The outrage is political and selective. If someone is shot in a certain way by a certain somebody is when people march. The day you can guarantee I will never be attacked by an illegal gun, I'll turn over my guns. But you can't.
When did I ask you to turn over your guns? If being open to finding solutions through possible regulation and not pretending that guns and knives are the same thing makes me anti-gun, I guess I am anti-gun in your view. I don't see it that way, but I won't tell you how to feel

Old 09-09-2018, 07:45 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,979,187 times
Quote:
I think it is a dumb comparison, you don't, I guess we will have to agree to disagree.
Yes, ignore a very clear fact that I just laid out, thats fine. But thats not "agreeing to disagree" thats just being ignorant in the face of facts.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby06 View Post
Didn't we already have terrorist kill almost 3 thousand armed with utility knives; and using kinetic energy from a plane and fuel which also added fire to the equation.

But I agree with your statement otherwise; none of these attacks are committed by inanimate non living object; there is always someone performing the attack.
They killed them with planes actually, and we changed the rules about what could be brought in planes afterwards. We didn't say, "well what if someone brings a hammer", we identified a problem and addressed it. On a separate note, there isn't much gun violence on planes, wonder why that is.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Yes, ignore a very clear fact that I just laid out, thats fine. But thats not "agreeing to disagree" thats just being ignorant in the face of facts.
Well, I am agreeing to disagree, you can proceed arguing if you want
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies