Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 07:59 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,208,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofor View Post
They killed them with planes actually, and we changed the rules about what could be brought in planes afterwards. We didn't say, "well what if someone brings a hammer", we identified a problem and addressed it. On a separate note, there isn't much gun violence on planes, wonder why that is.

Air Travel one falls under private organizations, and second the airlines have very strict screen process to find if a person is caring a weapon. But the terrorists took control of the planes with utility knives.

And you are correct after that attack no longer are people allowed to bring pocket knives or other small knives as carry on's to a plane.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:19 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,190,973 times
Quote:
When did I ask you to turn over your guns? If being open to finding solutions through possible regulation and not pretending that guns and knives are the same thing makes me anti-gun, I guess I am anti-gun in your view. I don't see it that way, but I won't tell you how to feel
I didn't say anything about you. I said the anti-gun argument sounds hollow because it is only selectively applied when it hurts the Republicans. No Democrat of any major city has ever been taken to task why he or she cannot round up illegal guns.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:16 PM

34,301 posts, read 15,588,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I believe since 9/11, knives are in fact banned on airplanes, correct?

So its official, is that it ?
Banning official works until it doesn't. The same kind of tool is used again in a different setting.

It was unofficial for a long time that no one should fly planes into buildings. Its still an unofficial idea.
We didn't ban buildings or planes or pass any new laws saying lets not do that. We went in a completely different direction to prevent it.

We went after the tool use to gain access to the cockpits. The sharp instrument hand weapons and once again we are right back to people being attacked with sharp instrument hand weapons. We did other things too. Some we are all to familiar with.

The only gun likely involved in this attack was carried by the police who stopped the attack and its unclear if they fired one or if the possibility they might was enough to effect the arrest. So lets blame the guns again.

The crime isn't the problem. It always the gun. So goes the argument. Complete nonsense but the fixation of anti-gun mouth breathers want satisfaction even when attacks are committed with a knife.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:35 AM

78,002 posts, read 60,193,878 times
Quote:
When someone knifes 400+ people from a perch in a hotel room, I'll accept comparing gun and knife attacks
I believe the point is more centered around the concept of the effectiveness of bans or limited access to one type of item and then substitution for other means of killing\maiming people.

Ie. Trucks, sabotaging a boat\ferry, arson, poisoning etc. etc. etc.

Just because a knife attack in this instance had a lower body count than another incident is moot.

History is littered with accidents that killed hundreds if not thousands of people.

I think that some people don't understand that terrorists aren't stupid and will try to re-create those "accidents". (Some weren't accidents)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iroquois_Theatre_fire

There's a huge long list just on that topic.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tructure_fires

Old 09-10-2018, 08:38 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,449,546 times
Quote:
When someone knifes 400+ people from a perch in a hotel room, I'll accept comparing gun and knife attacks
Yes. Zero comparison. Note 7 injured! Instead of 7 dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Good thing white people, such Americans, never go on killing sprees... oh, wait... happens so often these days it barely makes the news for more than a day.

Ah, right-wing logic, where if a brown person stabs somebody with a knife, we need to kill all the brown people, but if a white person kills some people with a gun, we need more guns... to shoot brown people.
Exactly. Cognitive Dissonance at it's finest

Old 09-10-2018, 08:39 AM

30,078 posts, read 18,892,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
9/11 wasn't good enough for you ?
That only killed 3000 Americans, american Leftists want to get that into the millions.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:40 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,449,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
That only killed 3000 Americans, american Leftists want to get that into the millions.
It's false words like this that diminish your credibility on all issues.

Old 09-10-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
It's false words like this that diminish your credibility on all issues.
I agree with you.

However, in the very post before that you affirmed the following posters comments.

You think that this type of rhetoric is any better than TT's over the top comment about liberals?

Quote:
Ah, right-wing logic, where if a brown person stabs somebody with a knife, we need to kill all the brown people, but if a white person kills some people with a gun, we need more guns... to shoot brown people.

Old 09-10-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
A leftist turned me into a newt!

I got better, but that's not the point.

Old 09-10-2018, 12:55 PM

10,312 posts, read 8,499,702 times
Quote:
So it isn't the fact of a person killed or injured, it only is a concern when the count is night enough?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies