Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 09:00 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,111,029 times

Advertisements

went camping, felt clear headed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 09:06 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Everyone should miss those days because compromise is how our government used to work for the good of our country. Our government has become so dysfunctional and divisive though and very few are willing to cross party lines. Now if any Republican tries to work with Democrats, they are called a Rino and scorned. Our country needs to get back to the days of compromise but sadly it won't. They have their own agendas and aspirations which don't seem to include the rest of us.
It's what happens when religion becomes politics and vice versa. You can compromise on public policy. You can't compromise on salvation. The fact that the two are now intermingled is a huge problem. I do think though if we can make it 20 more years, more reasoned minds will prevail and things will get better.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:10 PM

923 posts, read 494,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Call it what you will, but neither I nor any other liberal I know is going to shut up as long as that farce of a man is in the White House.

You're proving my point: one of the major symptoms of TDS is diarrhea of the mouth. But by all means please do continue your rants, it only helps expose the ridiculousness of your side and drives the sane and intelligent people who can think for themselves to ours.

Now back to your blathering drivel.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:22 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBaldBlur View Post
You're proving my point: one of the major symptoms of TDS is diarrhea of the mouth.
If that's the case,

then this guy is the source of the TDS epidemic.

Quote:
But by all means please do continue your rants, it only helps expose the ridiculousness of your side and drives the sane and intelligent people who can think for themselves to ours.

Now back to your blathering drivel.
And away we go...

Old 09-10-2018, 09:47 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
How ironic, I feel the same about Obama.
yea me too, best thing about obama, the mute button on the remote

Old 09-10-2018, 09:57 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,247,667 times
I am tired of the news cycle and the tactics of politicians. I still find the problems of statecraft very fascinating.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:07 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,670,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'm tired of the day to day political process. I'm tired of the news. I'm following news less. I'm more likely to skim headlines than read long-form articles. I'm tired of the consistent bickering, gridlock, so on and so forth. I actually canceled my NYT subscription. I've kept my Economist subscription, but it's far more analytical, balanced, and less partisan than my other sources.

As I get older, the constant political tug-of-war seems to have less and less appeal. While I have my personal political views, I'm less and less likely to get involved in the advocacy of those beliefs. I've previously focused a lot of my personal energy, effort, and such on national politics.

Our society has numerous problems. With more age and experience, I'm convinced that the solutions are not political.

How tired of you of national politics?
Okay, what you describe, what we have been experiencing with this administration, is not "politics as usual". It has been really odd, uncomfortable, and yes, tiring due to how things have been from the beginning. Since this "president" diverts from real problems and has created such distraction, being all about his emotions, impulses, not functioning capably or rationally, the news resources have only the chaotic incidents to report and analyze. Even they must not like being placed in this position, when normally there otherwise would be some varied and positive aspects to report.

This has not been normal, not the usual flow of a president tending to important and serious issues, and that is why it is annoying and depleting. With all the insulting, blaming, denial, dishonesty and constant ranting about who said or did what be the focus, it is continually non-productive and exhausting. His having stirred up negativity and violence, creating more division.. well, of course this is highly aggravating and dissatisfying.

If living with another who created conflict all day, every day or working in an environment that was non-productive, distracting and negative, it would create such an emotional toll on others in the same way. You are not wrong for feeling down or drained, many are, it's just that there is a direct reason as to why, and don't feel it should be equated to the usual, "day-to-day political process" with those in the past.

Last edited by In2itive_1; 09-11-2018 at 05:18 AM.. Reason: More

Old 09-11-2018, 06:05 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,791,073 times
Yes. But even though I'm not interested in the dialectic, the dialectic is interested in me. So I have to watch politics.

I'd much rather be left alone but they keep after me so I have no choice.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:09 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,979,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I've voted in every Congressional and Presidential election since I was legally able to vote in 2004. I've probably voted in the majority of primaries and municipal elections as well.

I've gone from voting straight Democrat in 2004/2006/2008, to voting virtually straight Republican since. I'm enthusiastically pro-Trump. I think he has been an amazing President for the white working class.

However, on a personal level, I'm tired of the day to day political process. I'm tired of the news. I'm following news less. I'm more likely to skim headlines than read long-form articles. I'm tired of the consistent bickering, gridlock, so on and so forth. I actually canceled my NYT subscription. I've kept my Economist subscription, but it's far more analytical, balanced, and less partisan than my other sources.

As I get older, the constant political tug-of-war seems to have less and less appeal. While I have my personal political views, I'm less and less likely to get involved in the advocacy of those beliefs. I've previously focused a lot of my personal energy, effort, and such on national politics. As I age, I realize my influence on the national scale is nothing, on the state level - it's still small, but on the local level - I may be able to do enough to get noticed. Local politics, no matter where I am, will be my focus from here on out. It feels pointless to swim with or against national political tides - you'll just tire yourself out swimming against it, or be one in a choir swimming with it.

Our society has numerous problems. With more age and experience, I'm convinced that the solutions are not political.

How tired of you of national politics?
I'm more tired of the media than the politicians. They two businesses (Media/Politics) are in collusion with each other and rely heavily on each other in order to make their millions. Bill Clinton builds a charity and library, earns $250 million, pays back his "donors" by running ads on CNN/NBC through the DNC. Same with the Republicans. The media picks the winners, the winners advertise (and pay) the media.

So yes, I'm sick of the two of them working hand in hand to keep each other employed.

Old 09-11-2018, 07:36 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Call it what you will, but neither I nor any other liberal I know is going to shut up as long as that farce of a man is in the White House.
Growing up, you always got what you wanted, every time you threw a temper tantrum, to shut you up.
It does not work like that in the big bad world, outside of being able to manipulate mamma.
You end up running into someone that got their ass beat for it and never got what they wanted.
Guess how that plays out, when the two decide to discuss it.
You going to try and take it by force?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies