Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 09:18 AM

11,788 posts, read 5,798,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Growing up near Washington DC I got way too much of it so at an early age I grew tired of politics. But I forced myself to pay attention because it was important.

But that all changed when Donald Trump appeared on the scene. Now I engage daily with his supporters who are incapable, or unwilling, to admit it when he does something that is wrong. Considering nobody is perfect, including the President, the level of denial is nothing short of amazing. That is why they are referred to as a cult as this is textbook cult like behavior. So I like to poke that bear at every opportunity.
Sorry but back in the day I remember quite a few Obama supporters who were just as close minded and pig headed - so it goes both ways. Many of us acknowledge and appreciate his flaws and knew what they were before we voted for him as he's been in the limelight for years. The difference is - we only had 2 choices as the Democrats couldn't, didn't, wouldn't put up a candidate that actually appealed to people and that people trusted.

I remember quite a few discussions here about Hillary and she also had her cult - as did Bernie. Neither could do wrong - so it's like the pot calling the kettle black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 09:43 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,555,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I've voted in every Congressional and Presidential election since I was legally able to vote in 2004. I've probably voted in the majority of primaries and municipal elections as well.

I've gone from voting straight Democrat in 2004/2006/2008, to voting virtually straight Republican since. I'm enthusiastically pro-Trump. I think he has been an amazing President for the white working class.

However, on a personal level, I'm tired of the day to day political process. I'm tired of the news. I'm following news less. I'm more likely to skim headlines than read long-form articles. I'm tired of the consistent bickering, gridlock, so on and so forth. I actually canceled my NYT subscription. I've kept my Economist subscription, but it's far more analytical, balanced, and less partisan than my other sources.

As I get older, the constant political tug-of-war seems to have less and less appeal. While I have my personal political views, I'm less and less likely to get involved in the advocacy of those beliefs. I've previously focused a lot of my personal energy, effort, and such on national politics. As I age, I realize my influence on the national scale is nothing, on the state level - it's still small, but on the local level - I may be able to do enough to get noticed. Local politics, no matter where I am, will be my focus from here on out. It feels pointless to swim with or against national political tides - you'll just tire yourself out swimming against it, or be one in a choir swimming with it.

Our society has numerous problems. With more age and experience, I'm convinced that the solutions are not political.

How tired of you of national politics?
None. Politics is the Art of avoiding enslavement, and those who are not actively engaged will, at some point, be enslaved by the ruling elite.

Never, ever let down your guard. NEVER

Old 09-11-2018, 09:46 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,555,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Call it what you will, but neither I nor any other liberal I know is going to shut up as long as that farce of a man is in the White House.
The farce left the White House in 2017 replaced by a POTUS that actually wants America and Americans to prosper and succeed.

Old 09-11-2018, 01:44 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I've voted in every Congressional and Presidential election since I was legally able to vote in 2004. I've probably voted in the majority of primaries and municipal elections as well.

I've gone from voting straight Democrat in 2004/2006/2008, to voting virtually straight Republican since. I'm enthusiastically pro-Trump. I think he has been an amazing President for the white working class.

However, on a personal level, I'm tired of the day to day political process. I'm tired of the news. I'm following news less. I'm more likely to skim headlines than read long-form articles. I'm tired of the consistent bickering, gridlock, so on and so forth. I actually canceled my NYT subscription. I've kept my Economist subscription, but it's far more analytical, balanced, and less partisan than my other sources.

As I get older, the constant political tug-of-war seems to have less and less appeal. While I have my personal political views, I'm less and less likely to get involved in the advocacy of those beliefs. I've previously focused a lot of my personal energy, effort, and such on national politics. As I age, I realize my influence on the national scale is nothing, on the state level - it's still small, but on the local level - I may be able to do enough to get noticed. Local politics, no matter where I am, will be my focus from here on out. It feels pointless to swim with or against national political tides - you'll just tire yourself out swimming against it, or be one in a choir swimming with it.

Our society has numerous problems. With more age and experience, I'm convinced that the solutions are not political.

How tired of you of national politics?

I don't get too invested in national politics enough to get overly sick of it.

I'll note some of your words in your OP are rather strange to me. It is very easy IMO not to pay attention to the news. I don't have cable and chose not to live my life according to the news cycle at all. IMO too many people watch/read/consume media way too much and that is why you are getting burned out.

The part about the "white working class" is odd to me and shows me your own polarization in that you must only care about white people. Also not sure how you could ever view Trump - the literal definition of a "spoiled little rich kid" who was born with a silver spoon in his mouth to be in any way beneficial to anyone in the "working class" in particular.

IMO the only thing he has done for white people is specific to normalizing the rhetoric of white nationalists and separatists. The working class is rather poor and most of the white working class in my area their issues are much more based on not having a good skill set for employment and drug abuse stopping them from acquiring a good paying job. Note, the first item (good skill set) is also an issue for all other working class people who want a better wage or position.

I don't feel any political pull. I'm older than you as well (first voted in 1998 midterms). I accept politics for what it is - a rat race and I look at individuals, their platforms, pay attention to their words (I read the transcriptions of interviews and/or debates often instead of watching them as you pick up m ore info IMO by reading).

The fact that you mentioned you don't read beyond a headline is sad and telling about you. You should read the bulk much moreso than the headline. People reading only headlines to me is something I'm getting tired of much moreso than politics because it indicates the dumbing down of America that people cannot read anything beyond a meme or headline.

Will end with I feel for you and would advise you to not put too much weight and/or hope in any political candidate. To also be an independent and not buy into too much rhetoric and look at actions and words of the candidates you are considering voting for instead of watching other people on TV talk about those candidates. I also do think it is a good idea to be more involved in local politics. It touches your life much moreso than federal stuff.

Old 09-11-2018, 01:51 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
im not tired of trump, I just wish he shut up, no memo, no twitter, no town hall. just quiet, two week of nothing in the news about him, quiet

I agree with this.

I've mentioned before I try to find something I like about all Presidents.

It has been difficult for Trump for me as I really didn't like him before he ran due to his personality (being an a$$) on TV for many years amongst other things.

However, today, I mostly pity him - that pity is the way I've humanized him in my mind and I don't dislike him in any overt way due to my pity. I feel sorry for him that he doesn't know how to shut up, that he throws tantrums, that he is probably getting driven crazy by media and getting his feelings hurt daily by all the chaos going on.

I'm grateful that him being this chaotic sort of mess has made me further stop engaging in media as well. I already am cable-less and don't watch the news at all except maybe once or twice a month (usually waiting somewhere in a waiting room for someone lol). The media does speak about him too much and people on the left speak/write and focus on him way too much IMO. Saw a FB post today of a friend mad Trump used an exclamation mark on Twitter in regards to saying "Today is 9/11!" and complaining of how Trump is using the exclamation mark wrong....

I get sick of people's stupid comments but most of them are centered on Trump's stupid tweets. I wish he'd stop tweeting for a couple weeks too. It would be refreshing.

Old 09-11-2018, 02:36 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,418,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Sorry but back in the day I remember quite a few Obama supporters who were just as close minded and pig headed - so it goes both ways. Many of us acknowledge and appreciate his flaws and knew what they were before we voted for him as he's been in the limelight for years. The difference is - we only had 2 choices as the Democrats couldn't, didn't, wouldn't put up a candidate that actually appealed to people and that people trusted.

I remember quite a few discussions here about Hillary and she also had her cult - as did Bernie. Neither could do wrong - so it's like the pot calling the kettle black.
Oh I have no doubt there were Obama and Hillary/Bernie apologists. But I debate with Trump folks every day on multiple boards. If you say you acknowledge Trump's flaws I'm impressed. But it is very clear from my experience that you are by far the exception. For 2 years now I'd say, without exaggeration, 95% of the posters I engage with are incapable or unwilling to ever admit his faults. No they are totally dug in and resort to excuse making or simply deny the problem exists. If you haven['t noticed this pattern here then you haven't been paying attention because in all honestly I don't remember many and I'm here every day.

I invite you to check the post history of some of the more obvious Trump guys, such as Bent Bow or the usual suspects, and show me one post where they acknowledge any of Trump's flaws.

Old 09-11-2018, 04:11 PM

21,933 posts, read 9,508,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
No it's actually the Republicans who want that. Trumpism is all about this image of this white Christian America of the 1950s and the belief that white fundamentalist Christian men are superior to everyone else. You don't care about Trump's actual competency or how he's actually doing the job. You just like that he makes white evangelicals feel superior and is really sticking it to the evil abominable gays, the stupid scientists who have the audacity to believe that modern science is more reliable than a bronze age religious tome, and those icky brown people.
That's total BS. You keep calling us all racists, all you want. It will ensure another Trump win in 2020.

Old 09-11-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Yep. Trump is beating the Black and Hispanics down with record low unemployment for both groups. He clearly hates them all.
They never, ever mention this. Maybe they just don't know about it. It's not like CNN or MSNBC will report it.

Old 09-11-2018, 04:13 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
That's total BS. You keep calling us all racists, all you want. It will ensure another Trump win in 2020.
He can't run if he's in prison.

Old 09-11-2018, 04:18 PM

I am tired of the Democrats and liberals trying to pretend there was no plot to clear Hillary and to implicate Trump for something he didn't do just to stop his agenda. It's disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies