Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 10:25 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,666,736 times

Advertisements

There are equally horrible things that have occured - The World War I and II, Vietnam and Korean war, the current wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

We have lost many good soldiers. We have also killed many of the opposite side, including civilians.

So just harping on the 9/11 on and on every year with the same intensity is unlikely to last. Let us let it go and carry on with a future with less wars, death and destruction.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:31 AM

4,030 posts, read 2,714,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Keeping up the same intensity of acknowledgement cannot go on forever. It just can't be sustained. It happens with everything.

Pretty much this.

While 9/11 is still fairly recent, you have to consider that time has its way with all things. 9/11 was now long enough ago that children born the year it happened (and therefore, with no direct memory of it), are close to graduating high school.

The Columbine school shooting of 1998 was the most horrific school shooting of its day...but stop to consider it's not outside the realm of possibility the survivors were old enough that they could have been the parents of the Stoneman Douglas High School students, who had a horrific school shooting earlier this year.

Pearl Harbor was mentioned earlier in this thread. There are fewer and fewer people who hold that in their living memory. My parents are both in their early 70's--born well after Pearl Harbor happened, and for that matter, neither one has any direct memory of World War II (my dad was born a year before it ended, my mother a year after.)

It's the nature of things. Neither good nor bad, it's just simply how it is.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:33 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
Quote:
Keeping up the same intensity of acknowledgement cannot go on forever. It just can't be sustained. It happens with everything.

No one who was alive at that time will forget. Several times over the weekend and today, I kept thinking "It's almost Sept. 11th, what a horrible day that was..." But I don't think we should wallow in it.

There will be the appropriate memorial services at the right places tomorrow. How long do you thing we should continue with the 24/7 newsfeed each 9/11? I, for one, don't want to see it again.
I'm not suggesting we wallow in it, what I am suggesting is, we should still be remembering for those who lost loved ones....I don't believe it should be completely forgotten, those people are still alive, and regardless, if I had lost a loved one in that, it wouldn't be forgotten and I'd surely appreciate those who showed tribute to my husband, wife, son, daughter, friend, cousin, etc....

Old 09-10-2018, 10:35 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I'm not suggesting we wallow in it, what I am suggesting is, we should still be remembering for those who lost loved ones....I don't believe it should be completely forgotten, those people are still alive, and regardless, if I had lost a loved one in that, it wouldn't be forgotten and I'd surely appreciate those who showed tribute to my husband, wife, son, daughter, friend, cousin, etc....
I'm sure there are memorials and services all over the country. They just aren't done on a national scale.

https://www.911memorial.org/September10

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
Quote:
Who forgot about it?

7,974 posts, read 7,349,728 times
Quote:

No one who was alive at that time will forget. Several times over the weekend and today, I kept thinking "It's almost Sept. 11th, what a horrible day that was..." But I don't think we should wallow in it.

There will be the appropriate memorial services at the right places tomorrow. How long do you thing we should continue with the 24/7 newsfeed each 9/11? I, for one, don't want to see it again.
The daughter of a good friend asked me about it a few years ago...she was three years old at the time and had no memory of it. She wanted to know where I was when it happened, how I found out, was I scared, etc. I told her the whole story, and she listened, very interested.

I worked at a law firm. My boss was starting an important trial that day. The clients came in and were waiting in the lobby across from my desk. The attorney was expected in shortly. An associate, a good friend of his, was passing by on the way to work, and he poked his head in the door. He said, "My wife just said the World Trade Center was hit by a plane". Now this fellow was a real wise-guy. I thought it was a joke, and was waiting for the punch line. He said, "I'm serious! The World Trade Center was hit by a jet!" I called home and spoke to oldest DD who had not yet left for work, and was glued to the TV. She said, "The OTHER tower was just hit! New York is being attacked!" My boss, the attorney, came in while the clients and I were huddled over my desk listening to the blow by blow description of what DD was seeing on TV. He wanted to know what was going on. We told him. They went to court as planned, but the trial was cancelled. Then we heard over the radio that the Pentagon was hit, and another aircraft went down in a field to the south of where we live. The first words on everyone's lips was...you can probably guess. Begins with "M" and ends with "m".

It's up to those of us who remember to keep the memory alive. I won't dwell on it, but I won't hesitate to relate it truthfully to anyone who asks.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:36 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
Quote:
9/11 has a bigger place in my mind than Pearl Harbor. Why? Because I was not alive during Pearl Harbor. To me, it was just another historical war event. 9/11 was real to me, especially since I got locked down in my office building and then had to drive home past the burning Pentagon.
yes, had a friend who was also near them and their building was locked down.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:37 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,697,978 times
Quote:
Tomorrow is the 17th Anniversary of 911, and yet, the news stations are not covering it like they always do and I'm wondering why?
I wonder how long there was pomp and circumstance after Pearl Harbor. Did it go on for 10 years? 20 years? After 10, did they only have memorial events at 15, 20, 25 years?

I went to school in NYC when this happened. It was a catastrophe I simply could never fathom. I still recall seeing the smoke rising from those buildings and saying "how will they ever put that fire out?" It never dawned on me for even a second that those buildings would fall.

I was a lucky one. I had no immediate or even extended family that perished. I recognized that date for the first 10 years or so. I moved away from NY and worked for a while at a military installation. On the 10th anniversary, they held a memorial. I went to that. But, they never did one since then. And at some point, I no longer recognized it was even September 11th. I think last September 11th, I spent fleeing from a hurricane. That was in my mind more than the events of 17 years ago.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 09-11-2018 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 09-10-2018, 10:37 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,656,633 times
Quote:

I agree with you and I don't believe those people are forgotten. The question is to you: what level of publicity do you expect to see tomorrow that makes it "enough?"

Almost 5 years ago (Sept 16, 2013), we had a workplace shooting and 12 people were killed. Each year since, the remembrance gets smaller and smaller with less notoriety. Oh, I'm sure our local news will make mention of it (maybe, since it's Sunday) but a year after it happened it was a HUGE deal.

Now it will just be the remaining employees who were that day, the surviving family members (if they still want to show up), and a 5K in their honor. A few more years from now, as employees retire and new ones come in, we'll get to where nothing is done. It is just the way of things.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:38 AM

733 posts, read 351,351 times
Couldn't find the story on NPR's site, but CBS had something yesterday.

http://https://www.cbsnews.com/news/...-pennsylvania/

Last edited by Ibginnie; 09-11-2018 at 10:02 AM.. Reason: deleted quoted post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies