Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 10:40 AM

326 posts, read 199,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I don't need to be reminded of it every year, I'm reminded of it every day already.

I'm reminded of it every year because 9/11 also happens to be my birthday. I remember growing up thinking "nothing in history has ever happened on my birthday."

Old 09-10-2018, 10:43 AM

4,031 posts, read 2,715,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvsCruisin View Post
I'm reminded of it every year because 9/11 almost happens to be my birthday. I remember growing up thinking "nothing in history has ever happened on my birthday."
My friend's daughter was actually born the day it happened. When she turned 13, I had been taking her shopping to get her a gift (there was a necklace with her birthstone that she'd been eyeing). The salesman asked her when her birthday was, and when she told him, he said, "Oh, that's an unfortunate birthdate."

I told him right then and there that he'd just lost a sale, and had words with the manager about that. Yes, it's a sad date, but sheesh......

Old 09-10-2018, 10:48 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,065 times
Of course there will be coverage tomorrow. How much lead-up media coverage would satisfy you?

There's a memorial ceremony in NYC every year. There's another in DC, one in Shanksville and one in Boston. No doubt countless other communities have them. There's absolutely zero shortage of reflection on this date/event.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:50 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times
Did we "remember Pearl Harbor" as distinctly in the late Fifties and early Sixties?

(I was only a pre-teen in those years, but my memories of the times lead me to believe that we did not.)

And in those times, our attention and vigilance were directed against the Soviet Union, the last survivor of the totalitarian butcher-states of the 1930's, and which would survive for another thirty years. Our "rivals" today (Russia? / China?) pose economic, rather than military threats; our "enemies" are a smaller collection of global rabble (North Korea / Iran).

If the events of 9/11/01 are to teach us anything. it is that the next blow to our pride and self-assurance will likely come from a quarter where it is not expected; but I'm sure that the breadth, and depth, of our resources and "defenses" will mitigate it -- "suprise factors" notwithstanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
The Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire is commemorated every year in NYC...over a hundred years after the event.
Here in Northeastern Pennsylvania, we have a similar group that commemorates what's recalled as the "Knox mining disaster" -- a cave-in of a tunnel under the Susquehanna River that put an end to deep-mining of anthracite and killed about a dozen men.

But the point being: these were relatively small disasters with a small, local "clientele" -- and that gave rise to a small locally-based advocacy.

The events of 9/11/01 had far greater, and permanent effect; the basics of air travel, (as well as basic street-security measures) changed forever; we are still fine-tuning, and will continue to do so.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 09-10-2018 at 11:34 AM..

Old 09-10-2018, 10:50 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
While 9/11 is still fairly recent, you have to consider that time has its way with all things. 9/11 was now long enough ago that children born the year it happened (and therefore, with no direct memory of it), are close to graduating high school.
Yep. My son graduated tis past June and for him, 9/11 is a historical event. He, of course, has no recollection of it.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:51 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,926,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
My friend's daughter was actually born the day it happened. When she turned 13, I had been taking her shopping to get her a gift (there was a necklace with her birthstone that she'd been eyeing). The salesman asked her when her birthday was, and when she told him, he said, "Oh, that's an unfortunate birthdate."

I told him right then and there that he'd just lost a sale, and had words with the manager about that. Yes, it's a sad date, but sheesh......
I suspect that guy was not a salesman there very long. I'm sure he didn't mean anything personal about it - just a dumb thing to say.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:51 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Who forgot about it?
I actually hate all the "Never forget" Facebook posts we'll see today and tomorrow. Who could forget that horrible day?

Old 09-10-2018, 10:54 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I actually hate all the "Never forget" Facebook posts we'll see today and tomorrow. Who could forget that horrible day?
yes, it was a horrible day, but I didn't see one yet, today, and the fact of the matter is, it's one day, and yes, probably a lot more horrible for those who lost loved ones, if nothing else, we could think of them....and their families....I'm not asking for gloom and doom here, just that we remember, and perhaps thank God we're still here.....

Old 09-10-2018, 10:54 AM

3,850 posts, read 2,226,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I can see doing it on significant anniversaries like the 10th, 15th, or 20th, but not every year.
The Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire is commemorated every year in NYC...over a hundred years after the event.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:56 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Tomorrow is the 17th Anniversary of 911, and yet, the news stations are not covering it like they always do and I'm wondering why?

This isn't right, every year we cover it and still pray for the families who lost loved ones, this shouldn't be swept under the rug.

I've been under the weather of late, so I haven't been watching as much news...but I don't see the specials they usually run during this time?

If I'm wrong, then I'll gladly own my mistake.....but if not, why would they do this?
I saw several related reports over the weekend.

The History Channel is airing "9/11: Escape from the Towers" tomorrow night.
There's a special, available OnDemand from American Heroes called "9/11: As we Watched".
National Geographic has "Inside 9/11: Zero Hour" tomorrow, HLN has "9/11/ starting at 8pm tomorrow,
The Smithsonian Channel is re-running "9/11: Day that Changed the World" - it aired last week.
There's also several shows on Discovery.

I've little doubt that there will remembrances on all of the local and network news stations as well.

P.S. Sorry to hear you were under the weather. Hope you are feeling better.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 09-11-2018 at 10:06 AM.. Reason: edited quoted post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies