Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 08:08 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,120,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Sell loose cigarettes and expect to get strangled and asphyxiated.
Yep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 08:09 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
There is no 100% safety. It's not an illusion when someone tries to mug me and an officer intervines or if a robber backs off after seeing a cop near the bank, or if I can call the cops if I see a store being robbed.

Not it's not perfect. Nothing is. But it's worked, and it needs work and it needs to improve because it isn't perfect. But it's better than your idea. Because anyone can make up their own laws and morals.
The might makes right approach has a long history of abuses. Our own Wild West is proof enough of that. He that can hire the most gunslingers and all that.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:12 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Quote:
Or sell loose cigarettes and expect to get strangled and asphyxiated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Yep.
Take it up with Obama's justice department. They decided that charges were not deserved over what happened.

Thankfully they are no longer in power. Aren't you glad about that?

Old 09-10-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Or sell loose cigarettes and expect to get strangled and asphyxiated.
Although I firmly believe the police response was way over the top and wrong, I would point out one fact.
Had the man simply complied, instead of resisting arrest, he would be alive and well today or at least not dead from a choke hold, that day.
He was knowingly breaking the law. He understood that it was the police. He chose to resist. His physical size was large. His personal health poor. The combination of bad personal choices and overzealous police enforcement killed him. It's a rare event considering how many arrests happen.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:13 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,117,157 times
Quote:
Her neighbors.

Just like they would now. Same with the child.

People help each other out; it's human nature.
Come to my neighborhood. Everyone minds their own business. Today's society is complacent.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Her neighbors.

Just like they would now. Same with the child.

People help each other out; it's human nature.
LOL maybe some neighborhoods, but certainly not all or you wouldn't have kids killed in drive by shootings, old people beat up by thugs playing the knock out game. Kids getting molested by the neighbor. Old people being robbed by care givers etc.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:23 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Come to my neighborhood. Everyone minds their own business. Today's society is complacent.
You live in the city of L.A. though, no? Helping others without government approval is a crime there. Not much better out here in the burbs either.

I have off-grid friends in Vermont and New Mexico. The all look out for each other because the government rarely if ever gets involved in their business.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
There is no 100% safety. It's not an illusion when someone tries to mug me and an officer intervines or if a robber backs off after seeing a cop near the bank, or if I can call the cops if I see a store being robbed.
Which is why you should always stay strapped.

Quote:
Not it's not perfect. Nothing is. But it's worked, and it needs work and it needs to improve because it isn't perfect. But it's better than your idea. Because anyone can make up their own laws and morals.
The thing is, it hasn't worked. Any time you give someone the perceived authority to rule over others it always goes to their head. It's why so many cops were bullies in high school.

The only laws that matter are don't hurt people and don't take their stuff. We learned that in kindergarten.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Take it up with Obama's justice department. They decided that charges were not deserved over what happened.

Thankfully they are no longer in power. Aren't you glad about that?
I don't want ANYONE in power, Kitty. I don't believe in government.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:29 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,117,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
You live in the city of L.A. though, no? Helping others without government approval is a crime there. Not much better out here in the burbs either.

I have off-grid friends in Vermont and New Mexico. The all look out for each other because the government rarely if ever gets involved in their business.
Um what? No..

Helped a friend move last year.. Gave a homeless man a sandwich, helped a few friends move to a new building.

It's a big city so you trust close friends more than neighbors.

Also neighborhood has changed. New faces etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies