Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 05:45 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,140,268 times

Advertisements

I have, twice, so far, with presumably more to come. He was on Colbert last night, and it was very interesting. For such a major political writer, you'd expect him to have a more forceful personality, perhaps enlivened by a lot of ironic quips. But he's a very sober, low-key guy, almost hesitant in his speech - although he was funny, too.

One of the most interesting things was his implied patience, going back again and again to interview people. He said that he would ask if they had any W.H. paperwork, because people also do - but they immediately deny it. But over the course of several quiet interviews, they later tend to then pull out piles of corroborating paperwork. It's a very interesting example of what is lost with people like, say Hannity, who as far as I know, does nothing resembling research.

It's Trump's bad luck that after the melodrama of the Michael Wolff and Omarosa books, there is now a book from someone who is known as a meticulous researcher and truth-teller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 05:48 PM

20,864 posts, read 9,529,660 times
I wonder if he's ever going to release all the audio tapes and other material he used to write the book?

Old 09-11-2018, 06:09 PM

1,070 posts, read 392,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I wonder if he's ever going to release all the audio tapes and other material he used to write the book?
Mr.Bond!

I bet that Woodward is hoping that someone he’s quoted/mentioned in his book has the “b*lls” to object - Woodward will then publish the tapes....aka, “I told ya so!”

The tapes don’t lie

Old 09-11-2018, 06:13 PM

26,563 posts, read 14,439,886 times
Quote:

as mentioned above, unless someone on tape publicly contradicts themselves i'll assume that woodward will respect their anonymity. he was able to keep his mouth shut to the identity of "deep throat".

Old 09-11-2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:
No serious non-fiction writer does. I haven't seen the book yet so I don't know if there are endnotes. From the way he talked, I'm not sure if he actually taped the interviews (which would be prudent) or just took notes. But with a history like Woodward's, it would be very difficult for someone to claim he's inventing anything.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:30 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,009,739 times
Woodward has credibility, which can be seen from the fact that he gets attacked from both sides of the aisle. When he said about Bush and Cheney that there was no lie about WMD, Woodward took major flack from the left. I remember blog posts from progressive sources saying that Woodward was now discredited, had gone to the dark side, should be ostracized, etc.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2015/05...ob-woodward-2/

Quote:
Of course, for those who have been paying attention, this kind of courtly palaver is nothing new for Woodward. For the past 40 years, he has functioned as more of a courtier of the power elite, a stenographer for the imperial front office, than the investigative reporter who helped bring down the Nixon White House. Woodward was a favored scribe in both Bush White Houses, privileged with inside access granted to no other reporters, and his three books on the Bush family’s wars in Afghanistan and Iraq proved to be charitable beyond measure.
Now it's the right saying this kind of stuff about Woodward. Look before you leap...

Old 09-11-2018, 06:32 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
They say he has a remarkable ability to get people to talk. I have read the transcripts of the phone call between he and Trump shortly before the book was announced, and how he wanted to discuss things with Trump in person and Trump said he had no idea he wanted to. Woodward then said he asked KellyAnne twice for a chance to speak with him and she said twice she would arrange it. KellyAnne then got on a three way conversation, and I forget what her excuse was, but she mumbled something about being very busy and forgetting to ask the President. It all sounded like a typical lie from her, probably coordinated in advance with Trump.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
They say he has a remarkable ability to get people to talk. I have read the transcripts of the phone call between he and Trump shortly before the book was announced, and how he wanted to discuss things with Trump in person and Trump said he had no idea he wanted to. Woodward then said he asked KellyAnne twice for a chance to speak with him and she said twice she would arrange it. KellyAnne then got on a three way conversation, and I forget what her excuse was, but she mumbled something about being very busy and forgetting to ask the President. It all sounded like a typical lie from her, probably coordinated in advance with Trump.
Oh, thank you! I was trying to remember where else I'd heard him - and of course it was the tape of the telephone call.

Yes, Woodward seems like he would be persistent, but in a low-key way. With Trump, it was impossible to tell if he was lying, or if Kellyanne was lying. Not that it really matters. It's perfectly possible that she felt it would be unsafe for Trump to talk to Woodward. Might have been a very different book!

Old 09-11-2018, 06:42 PM

46,949 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
That's not done. The deal is that tapes are there to keep both parties honest, but they're not "released" unless someone challenges Woodward's veracity too harshly, or - if someone was dumb enough - in a court of law. This is the guy who kept Deep Throat's identity secret for 4 decades, he's earned his reputation.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:50 PM

20,864 posts, read 9,529,660 times
I suppose so. Still, it would be fun hearing them in response to somebody thinking they can deny something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies