Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2008, 12:44 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,730,943 times

Advertisements

I have found out that in Tampa during the week on Tuesdays and Thursdays 18 year old (adults) are allowed in the club and get a sign on their hands stating that they are not allowed to drink alcohol. Perfect, no problem is this is the law in America so be it. 21 Year old get a bracelet so the bartender can easily see they are allowed to order alcohol. No problem.

My issue is why aren't the 18 year olds not allowed during the weekend. Many of the 18 year old people don't want to go out during the week because of College and want to go out during the weekend. The same clubs don't let them in suring the time that they have the weekend off.

Even a 21 year old who is dating a 20 year old can't go because the 20 year old is not allowed during the weekend. Something seems wrong to me.

In Tampa there is an area where 18 year olds can go out suring the weekend but that is the dangerous part of town. I have many 18 year old hear complaining about that and not about the reason the can't order alcohol, they just want to go out.
So what is happening is that some kids are trying to get false id's to get in and have fun. Totally wrong, but isn't it strange this rule. Maybe some one can give me an explanation so I can understand this rule?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 01:12 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,980,752 times
Maybe they just don't have the extra staff that letting in all of the extra people would require. Maybe things tend to get pretty wild on the weekends. Clubs don't have to let 18 year olds in at all, so maybe it's just a temporary thing to see how it goes without making the full commitment to always be 18+ instead of 21+.

I don't know... when I was 18, we went to restaurants and the movies and parties at other kids' houses... so I guess I'm not the one to ask, LOL.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
Maybe they just don't have the extra staff that letting in all of the extra people would require. Maybe things tend to get pretty wild on the weekends. Clubs don't have to let 18 year olds in at all, so maybe it's just a temporary thing to see how it goes without making the full commitment to always be 18+ instead of 21+.

I don't know... when I was 18, we went to restaurants and the movies and parties at other kids' houses... so I guess I'm not the one to ask, LOL.
I'm from Europe and went out a lot when I was young and there weren't many rules or even id's. Now a days it is pretty much the same although the age to buy alcohol is 16 but to drink it (I recently found out) there is no age rule. I never experienced any issues, but I know that I'm glad to be over here since now a days in Europe the extasy and other illegal drugs are a big issue when kids are going out and that scares me a lot even more than the drinking.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:34 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,995,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I'm from Europe and went out a lot when I was young and there weren't many rules or even id's. Now a days it is pretty much the same although the age to buy alcohol is 16 but to drink it (I recently found out) there is no age rule. I never experienced any issues, but I know that I'm glad to be over here since now a days in Europe the extasy and other illegal drugs are a big issue when kids are going out and that scares me a lot even more than the drinking.
man, why on earth did you leave europe? those ppl sure know how to let others enjoy life.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:38 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,996,520 times
Well, in the good 'ole days before Prez Reagan, the drinking age was 18 most everywhere, and even that wasn't seriously enforced.

Reagan threatened withholding federal hwy/interstate funds from any states that didn't raise the drinking age to 21, so they all jumped on board. Except non-state DC, who hardly had any interstates or hwys, and they told him to go take a flying leap.

For years, VA and Md's drinking ages were 21, so all the teens would go drink in DC and then drive home. Now that was a problem.

Eventually DC raised thier drinking age too, although I don't remember exactly how it happened.

Old 04-02-2008, 02:00 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,645,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I have found out that in Tampa during the week on Tuesdays and Thursdays 18 year old (adults) are allowed in the club and get a sign on their hands stating that they are not allowed to drink alcohol. Perfect, no problem is this is the law in America so be it. 21 Year old get a bracelet so the bartender can easily see they are allowed to order alcohol. No problem.

My issue is why aren't the 18 year olds not allowed during the weekend. Many of the 18 year old people don't want to go out during the week because of College and want to go out during the weekend. The same clubs don't let them in suring the time that they have the weekend off.

Even a 21 year old who is dating a 20 year old can't go because the 20 year old is not allowed during the weekend. Something seems wrong to me.

In Tampa there is an area where 18 year olds can go out suring the weekend but that is the dangerous part of town. I have many 18 year old hear complaining about that and not about the reason the can't order alcohol, they just want to go out.
So what is happening is that some kids are trying to get false id's to get in and have fun. Totally wrong, but isn't it strange this rule. Maybe some one can give me an explanation so I can understand this rule?

They expect a larger crowd on the weekends, and are less able to ensure that people under 18 aren't DRINKING...even if they are NOT being served by their staff. Liability.

Old 04-02-2008, 02:06 PM

Oh, is that the reason, I get it. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies