Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 12:28 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
The bold is my point. If she thought he was giving a thumbs up, that wouldn't necessarily be taken as "coaching." Just an accolade and congrats so I can kind of understand if that is how she took the gesturing that'd she'd get upset at being accused of breaking a rule during the match.

I agree with you on the coaching and I can see it being an issue in holding up the matches too so I understand the rule.
It's not the umpire's role to discern communications.

It was clear from the video he was not giving a thumbs up signal... I saw it. The umpire may have seen exactly what the coach did. So SW's interpretation doesn't matter. He gave hand signals. She saw it. That was enough.

If you start getting into interpreting intentions with regards to rules violations - you might as well just get rid of all of the rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 12:43 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,871,874 times
Quote:
Such a dumb reply - too wrapped up in what someone thinks of "white people" and other words people say (and that they can read dictionaries lol). I don't buy a lot of what you are selling about the po-lowly-oppressed white people -
And even dumber reply .

Old 09-17-2018, 04:39 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,879,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
The behavior is wrong and for that reason the federation needs to be consistent in enforcing the rules. What is their excuse for not doing so?
Most likely the same excuse for police not pulling over every car that speeds even 1 mph over the limit.
The same excuse Refs use for not flagging every defensive back every time, no matter how slight or severe the infraction.
Part of it is a judgement call. How severe was the infraction? I would say smashing your racket is pretty severe.

So we blame the federation for not being strict enough? I blame the professional athlete for acting like a complete idiot.

Do we now also blame the police for speeders? I tend to blame those violating the rules. I understand the concept of "you get what you accept." That said someone of Williams experience likely knows the rules as well or better than the judges.

Do you think it possible that perhaps Williams feels a bit entitled, due to her long and winning career? Perhaps her fit was due to getting beaten by someone so junior? Maybe she was just POed because she felt as a superstar she deserved more breaks from the chair judge?

Based on some of the posts Ive read on here, there are more than a few fans who feel she is above the rules.

Old 09-17-2018, 05:15 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
On the bold - I am inclined to believe that she didn't see him coaching her - that was the point. I could have been more specific though.

However, I actually have followed both Williams sisters for 20 years now and I watch a majority of both of their matches, even their Olympic matches. Neither of them have a history of being "sore losers." Serena is more fiercely competitive and emotional IMO than Venus though. But she is not a sore loser. She has broken a lot of rackets but honestly this is the first time in a long time that I've seen her break one and not win lol. I remember a couple years ago she broke one during Wimbledon and she ended up winning that match. Sometimes certain emotional outbursts can get people "into" their game.
For someone who has followed tennis as long as you have, it's puzzling that you cannot grasp the simple concepts that 1) rules are rules and 2) the rule isn't 'coaching isn't allowed if the player saw it, or if the player acted on it'. The rule is that no coaching will be allowed during a match. Period. End of story. Anything outside that parameter is not relevant.

In addition, whether the rules are enforced differently between the males and females is wrong, and certainly something to object to, but doesn't impact this specific game. She's known of this difference for years. She's aware this is a tough chair ref. She knew if she acted up long enough she'd be penalized.

This is all on her.

Old 09-17-2018, 05:24 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Serena Williams is married to a White man. I don't think she cares what you think.
Well, well, well, well, well, well, well, well.

Well, well.

Old 09-17-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
You are the one that brought up that this is why Black men are dating outside of their race. I let you know that Serena is married to a White man, so your comment doesn't mean all that much. In fact there is a growing trend of Black women dating and marrying outside of their race.
Turning to be necessary. My daughter married a Latino.

And I have to admit that I certainly hadn't seen any young black guys I wanted her to marry.

It certainly wouldn't be Rocko20.

Old 09-17-2018, 05:28 PM

I'm blaming post partum depression.

Old 09-17-2018, 05:28 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,224,848 times
Serena's outburst and subsequent self-destructive meltdown is just the latest in the nationally visible trend of black people refusing to obey the rules and then getting angry over the consequences.

From barbecuing where they were not supposed to be barbecuing, to selling goods on the public streets without a seller's permit and causing a disturbance, to parking illegally in handicapped parking spaces, etc and so forth.

Amazingly the narrative is always the same : "______while black", where the space is whatever activity they were engaged in when they violated the law/rules.

Of course it is never their fault. Its always all these laws and rules that were created to apply only to them. Because you see, Jim Crow is still a thing. Most laws, if you read the fine print say, "except for whitey".

Because, white supremacy!

Old 09-17-2018, 07:07 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,015,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I'm blaming post partum depression.
I wondered that myself. perhaps in part.

Old 09-17-2018, 07:34 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Most likely the same excuse for police not pulling over every car that speeds even 1 mph over the limit.
The same excuse Refs use for not flagging every defensive back every time, no matter how slight or severe the infraction.
Part of it is a judgement call. How severe was the infraction? I would say smashing your racket is pretty severe.

So we blame the federation for not being strict enough? I blame the professional athlete for acting like a complete idiot.

Do we now also blame the police for speeders? I tend to blame those violating the rules. I understand the concept of "you get what you accept." That said someone of Williams experience likely knows the rules as well or better than the judges.

Do you think it possible that perhaps Williams feels a bit entitled, due to her long and winning career? Perhaps her fit was due to getting beaten by someone so junior? Maybe she was just POed because she felt as a superstar she deserved more breaks from the chair judge?

Based on some of the posts Ive read on here, there are more than a few fans who feel she is above the rules.
Do you watch tennis?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies