Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 04:03 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,659,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magaalot View Post
But Superman's appearance hasn't changed in any of the incarnations....
George Reeves, Christopher Reeve, Brandon Routh, Henry Cavill, all look similar (and Tom Welling in the Smallville TV series).
So why suddenly change his appearance? All to satisfy a minority?
Why do you assume that a dark-skinned Superman would only appeal to dark-skinned people??? I’m as white as halibut, and I’d love to see Jordan as Superman. Would have loved to see Elba as Bond, too. They are fictional characters, it expands the appeal of the story to change things up. People have been doing this with Shakespeare for years.

Do you seriously think that only dark-skinned people love to see Denzel Washington or Halle Berry, or even Oprah????????

Old 09-12-2018, 04:09 PM

15,697 posts, read 9,452,039 times
Only in America will white people get up in arms that a black person may take over a fictional role. SMH If it bothers you so much, don't see the movie. One thing for certain, he'd have to be better than Dean Cain

Old 09-12-2018, 04:30 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,461,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Only in America will white people get up in arms that a black person may take over a fictional role. SMH If it bothers you so much, don't see the movie.
Your wrong growing up reading comics Superman is white just as Bond is. It’s not about the color of thier skin it’s about bring true too the books.

Old 09-12-2018, 04:35 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,826,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Why do you assume that a dark-skinned Superman would only appeal to dark-skinned people??? I’m as white as halibut, and I’d love to see Jordan as Superman. Would have loved to see Elba as Bond, too. They are fictional characters, it expands the appeal of the story to change things up. People have been doing this with Shakespeare for years.

Do you seriously think that only dark-skinned people love to see Denzel Washington or Halle Berry, or even Oprah????????
Does anyone love to see Oprah?

Old 09-12-2018, 04:38 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,668,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
unilad.co.uk/film/michael-b-jordan-reportedly-being-lined-up-to-replace-henry-cavill-as-superman:
In the comics, Superman was raised by a White American couple. Superman is usually portrayed as a straight White man. Unless it was an adaptation of some alternate universe version of Superman that is Black (even then, I think that is whack), I think Superman should remain a straight White male. If Superman was written as a gay Black character, I would say the same thing if he was to featured in an adaptation where he's a straight White male. I bring up the sexuality is because DC has been emphasizing this for some of their characters in the DC TV shows/movies the last few years and I would not be surprised if they did it for Superman.
ROFLMAO!

Oh the irony of people whining about comic book reboots. Reboots and retcons have been part of comic books since the silver age. They retcon age, gender, back story whatever will get them a wider audience but as soon as it is a movie and race ::gasp:: they get all twisted out about it.

Old 09-12-2018, 04:39 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,659,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Does anyone love to see Oprah?
Well, she must be doing something right, given her popularity.

My point is that you can't assume that people only want to watch other people with the same color skin. It is manifestly not true.

Old 09-12-2018, 04:41 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,668,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magaalot View Post
But Superman's appearance hasn't changed in any of the incarnations....
George Reeves, Christopher Reeve, Brandon Routh, Henry Cavill, all look similar (and Tom Welling in the Smallville TV series).
So why suddenly change his appearance? All to satisfy a minority?

$700,000,000 is a minority?

Black panther was the most successful comic book based movie of all time, both commercially and in terms of reviews. DC's most successful movie was led by a woman. Considering how abysmal their other movies have been, taking a page out of Marvel's book might be a good idea.

Old 09-12-2018, 04:45 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,826,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Well, she must be doing something right, given her popularity.

My point is that you can't assume that people only want to watch other people with the same color skin. It is manifestly not true.
I got ya.

Old 09-12-2018, 04:51 PM

15,697 posts, read 9,452,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Your wrong growing up reading comics Superman is white just as Bond is. It’s not about the color of thier skin it’s about bring true too the books.
So we have to stay "true to the books" for the rest of time because you say so?

Old 09-12-2018, 04:56 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,461,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
So we have to stay "true to the books" for the rest of time because you say so?
Where did I say it had too be? Queen Of The Dammed was a great read but because they didn’t stay true too the book, it failed as a movie. That’s tends too be the case the majority of the time. Stop trying too make this into something racist it’s embarrassing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies