Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 11:24 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times

Advertisements

Soo...its actually a liberal posting these things...and being censored, and the Trump folks here are going on about it being a left wing conspiracy to silence them.

Theres so much dumb here it amuses me. Heres the bottom line-these posts broke the rules for the forum, and the rules were enforced. I dont care WHO it is. It really doesn't matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 06:59 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Soo...its actually a liberal posting these things...and being censored, and the Trump folks here are going on about it being a left wing conspiracy to silence them.

Theres so much dumb here it amuses me. Heres the bottom line-these posts broke the rules for the forum, and the rules were enforced. I dont care WHO it is. It really doesn't matter.
The problem I see with this and other social media platforms is that misunderstand what free speech means. Free Speech relates to the government. The government cannot infringe on your right to free speech so long as it isn't obscene or incites violence, however any internet platform whether forum or social media can censor you and even ban you for breaking terms of service.

It is likely this sock puppet strawman account that ran the Trump sub-Reddit broke Reddit's TOS whether it was racist, violent, sexist or Abby other type of graphic material, Reddit thought that it broke their TOS and deleted the account and the sub-Reddit accordingly.

As I've said earlier on and through out the Alex Jones purge, all I can ask for is fairness in this right for removal of profiles breaking TOS.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:11 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post

The OP apparently didn’t bother to read his own damn post. It contains the info that this subreddit was shut down because it was run by a liberal troll, yet the OP claims that shutting it down is an example of tech liberal bias against Trump supporters.

But I am glad to hear that reddit enforces its TOS. Trolls should be shut down.

Reading comprehension - it’s a real thing that too many people lack.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:12 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Everybody knows by now that these private social media companies can ban whoever they want for whatever reason they want. Anyone who is still arguing either side of this point probably doesn't possess much depth of intellect.

Argue whether or not it's wise or smart all you want but the fact that they can do this if they want to is pretty much indisputable at this point.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:19 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
The OP apparently didn’t bother to read his own damn post. It contains the info that this subreddit was shut down because it was run by a liberal troll, yet the OP claims that shutting it down is an example of tech liberal bias against Trump supporters.

But I am glad to hear that reddit enforces its TOS. Trolls should be shut down.

Reading comprehension - it’s a real thing that too many people lack.
I don't think it was deleted because of trolling in it of itself. What it was deleted from IMHO was the garden variety hate speech we have seen from the Trump crowd. This Reddit user though was merely trolling through these and got caught with one too many offensive post.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
Everybody knows by now that these private social media companies can ban whoever they want for whatever reason they want. Anyone who is still arguing either side of this point probably doesn't possess much depth of intellect.

Argue whether or not it's wise or smart all you want but the fact that they can do this if they want to is pretty much indisputable at this point.
Well, I don’t know about you, but when I signed up for c-d forums, I had to agree to the TOS, which does indeed say they can ban me. I don’t get why you think this is some newly discovered nefarious plot on the part of social media companies. IT’S ALWAYS BEEN THE CASE for all of them. Heck, it was true in the days of Usenet 30 years ago.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Well, I don’t know about you, but when I signed up for c-d forums, I had to agree to the TOS, which does indeed say they can ban me. I don’t get why you think this is some newly discovered nefarious plot.
Did you read my post before responding to it?

Old 09-13-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
Did you read my post before responding to it?
Yes. You were saying that what has always been the case is still the case - that these social platforms can ban anyone - and sounded surprised by that. I just can’t imagine why this is news to you or to anyone, but oh well.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:58 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Once upon a time, a news organization decided to focus on right-sided viewers and made a lot of money securing a big chunk of the news media marketplace...leaving the others to squabble over the left-sided viewers.

I trust that the free market will find someone wanting to tap into this supposedly underserved segment of internet grousers and will do the same.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Yes. You were saying that what has always been the case is still the case - that these social platforms can ban anyone - and sounded surprised by that. I just can’t imagine why this is news to you or to anyone, but oh well.
Um...was my post the only post you read in this thread, by any chance? Otherwise your responses to me make absolutely no sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies