Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 02:53 PM

200 posts, read 121,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
Gay marriage should become legal the day polygamy becomes legal.
I see you're from South Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 02:59 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,115,104 times
They typically have more government control over the citizens...

Those types tell everyone they're doomed to hell, get over it. I am Christian and they would tell me that I'm doomed to hell, my step-sister told me when I was younger that I was going to hell because I'm not Catholic; it's like the fanatical Muslims that want to kill other Muslims because they're not Muslim enough...

I just think you need to sit back and take a look at your own opinions before you lash out at all Christians and those who don't believe in gay marriage as ignorant, old, fearful, and hateful.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:01 PM

Oh, Paully...you're from South Carolina...that must mean you're ignorant and a hate-monger! LMFAO

Old 04-02-2008, 03:14 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
They typically have more government control over the citizens...

Those types tell everyone they're doomed to hell, get over it. I am Christian and they would tell me that I'm doomed to hell, my step-sister told me when I was younger that I was going to hell because I'm not Catholic; it's like the fanatical Muslims that want to kill other Muslims because they're not Muslim enough...

I just think you need to sit back and take a look at your own opinions before you lash out at all Christians and those who don't believe in gay marriage as ignorant, old, fearful, and hateful.

Your stepsister is woefully ignorant of her own religion. Catholics do not believe people go to hell because they are not Catholics. That is more of an evangelical and/or fundamentalist Christian belief. Just thought you should know......

Old 04-02-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
Gay marriage should become legal the day polygamy becomes legal.
Is that something you're hoping for?

In all seriousness, would it make a difference to you if gays were allowed to have a legally binding civil union? Essentially marriage with tax benefits, rights of survivorship etc....but just not the name of marriage.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:17 PM

Wow, another ignoramus...thanks for pointing that out camping, you helped prove my point. Not everyone is the same as everyone else...not all Christians are bible-thumping lunatics...nor are all people opposed to gay marriage ignorant, hateful, fearful, and old.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Wow, another ignoramus...thanks for pointing that out camping, you helped prove my point. Not everyone is the same as everyone else...not all Christians are bible-thumping lunatics...nor are all people opposed to gay marriage ignorant, hateful, fearful, and old.
I never said that they were. I did say that those who use the bible as their basis to be against homosexuality (nevermind marriage) are completely off base and hypocritical.

Sorry to be dense, but were you calling me an ignoramus? Or your step sister?

Old 04-02-2008, 03:31 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
So tell me, where does one get their morals and values if not from religion?
A person does not need to be religious to have good morals. My values were taught to me by my elders, not by a preacher one day a week. Yes, there are some parts of the Bible that benefit humanity greatly, such as "thou shalt not steal", "thou shalt not lie", and "thou shalt not murder", but some other parts are ridiculous. I have no problem with people going to church on Sunday, and I will even listen to them talk about it, but when you try to push those rules on me it's crossing the line. It's as bad as listening to a telemarketer.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:34 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post

In all seriousness, would it make a difference to you if gays were allowed to have a legally binding civil union? Essentially marriage with tax benefits, rights of survivorship etc....but just not the name of marriage.
As a gay man, that would be fine with me!

Old 04-02-2008, 03:39 PM

2,836 posts, read 3,496,025 times
I doubt that same-sex unions can not have much effect on marriage as a social institution. We live, to the extent the law allows, in a free society; and so one should be free to be miserable as one chooses, whether with a partner of the same sex or the opposite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies