Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2008, 08:15 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,969,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
I already said it, people are more than simply animals.
Care to qualify that claim?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 08:17 PM

4,147 posts, read 7,999,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
Care to qualify that claim?
Do your own research.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:19 PM

Ill help you.

Quote:
Biologically? We are built in the same manner as an animal. Psychologically? No. We have a free will. That's what seperates us from our animal neighbors. If an animal kills something, it's acting out of pure instinct. If a human kills something, they have made a choice to kill that thing, even if the choice itself is based on instinct.
Are humans animals? why or why not. (Acceptance, religion, deep, society, life) at Find Quotations

Old 04-21-2008, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
Do your own research.
Afraid your friend won't be able to qualify her claim?

Old 04-21-2008, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Afraid your friend won't be able to qualify her claim?
I did.

Read the quote.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:28 PM

Ah.... so when humans act on instinct it's free will but when animals act on instinct it's not free will. Gee, that makes loads of sense!

When a dog chooses to lie on its bedding instead of chasing around a cat that happens to be nearby... is it acting on bedding > cat instinct or is it making a choice to not bother with the cat for whatever reason? Do primates not have free will even though they show ability to reason? I'm not pretending to understand what goes on in a dog's or primate's head but I find it rather presumptuous to claim that only humans have "free will".

Old 04-21-2008, 08:37 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,114,101 times
So that's why so many animals have the intellect and creativity that humans do! Here all this time I thought that the ability of humans to stop, evaluate a situation and control themselves was because we weren't mere animals. We have the ability to create whatever we may dream up, to think and reason on a higher level...and yes we have free will.

I sincerely feel for those who are completely unable to see that we are not simple animals. Show me the cow that has composed a symphony, a dog that has invented a cure for a disease, a monkey that has broken the sound barrier or sent a rocket to the moon, give me examples of a bird that has been able to meditate, take themselves to another place spiritually and endure what normally would be great physical pains but instead feel nothing...

Old 04-21-2008, 08:48 PM

399 posts, read 554,244 times
Each "species" is different from another. The abilities are different. We may have free will, and that a wonderful thing.
It is called "Natural Selection" -- If you've studied Evolution by Darwin.

There are tons of animals who possess attributes that we do not. Besides we act out of instincts.

We are sexual beings, we need to eat, sleep, consume liquids. Free will, exists in a civilized world. But we still use the basic ways of survival of eating, sleeping, etc so in reality we are not that different to animals, Because we all need to survive like the animals do. That is when you study anatomy, biology. etc

Quote:
So that's why so many animals have the intellect and creativity that humans do! Here all this time I thought that the ability of humans to stop, evaluate a situation and control themselves was because we weren't mere animals. We have the ability to create whatever we may dream up, to think and reason on a higher level...and yes we have free will.

I sincerely feel for those who are completely unable to see that we are not simple animals. Show me the cow that has composed a symphony, a dog that has invented a cure for a disease, a monkey that has broken the sound barrier or sent a rocket to the moon, give me examples of a bird that has been able to meditate, take themselves to another place spiritually and endure what normally would be great physical pains but instead feel nothing...

Old 04-21-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:

Did humans acquire free will only once they started inventing cool stuff or did we have it even before we invented the wheel? Monkeys make tools, btw, they create structures to aid them in getting something they want that is out of reach otherwise. They may not do it on as intricate a level as we do but this certainly demonstrates that animals other than humans are capable of reason and possess intellect. Of course not all animals have the same intellect and reasoning capacity, and humans are at an extreme end of the highly intelligent animals.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:55 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,114,101 times
Quote:
Did humans acquire free will only once they started inventing cool stuff or did we have it even before we invented the wheel? Monkeys make tools, btw, they create structures to aid them in getting something they want that is out of reach otherwise. They may not do it on as intricate a level as we do but this certainly demonstrates that animals other than humans are capable of reason and possess intellect. Of course not all animals have the same intellect and reasoning capacity, and humans are at an extreme end of the highly intelligent animals.
So a monkey using a stick to get ants out of a hole is equal to humans learning how to split an atom and create an atomic bomb? There is no animal that even comes close to humans while there are animals that come close to monkeys. Humans are not driven by instinct alone whereas animals are...to quote someone I'm sure all you libs admire, "the debate is over".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies