Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2008, 09:21 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,970,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Can you share with me what God you worship and what Bible you go by? As far as I know, all mainstream monotheistic religions have some kind of boundries concerning sexual morality.
I don't follow a Bible and the religious argument, as I pointed out in my previous post, is irrelevant in terms of same-sex marriage within a secular law structure of the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 09:35 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPalms View Post
You don't believe in Gay Marriage. Do you know how incredibly stupid that sounds?
I don't believe that the world is round. And I'm gonna make sure that nobody else believes in this existence.
From now on, even though I may lead a miserable existance, I'm making sure that the kind of marriage I believe is real, and any others, shall not be.
I don't believe that my hate shall not exist, because I believe that no other person that is not heterosexual, shall join together with another one unless it meets my criteria of the definition of "Marrage" which is only a male and female.
That's all there is there is, SUBJECT CLOSED, Praise my lord and my beliefs.
Why does the homosexual community always scream hate every time somebody doesn't agree with their lifestyle? I am against gay bashing i.e. Westboro, Robertson, Falwell, etc. Their attacks on the homosexual don't show the characteristic of a true Christian. However, a true Christian cannot accept sin as being OK with God just because a feel-good culture says it is. God is a God of love, but He is also a God of justice. God's relationship to us is as a father-child relationship. Ideally, fathers should love their children more than anything in the world, but they also must set rules for their children to follow.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
I don't follow a Bible and the religious argument, as I pointed out in my previous post, is irrelevant in terms of same-sex marriage within a secular law structure of the USA.
While America is a secular nation today, it wasn't always such. You can argue till the end of time whether this nation was founded as a "Christian nation" and there is lots of evidence that go both ways on that. When the institution of marriage was sanctioned by the state, its intention was as a Christian institution. Thats why to this day you don't have polygamy in America. And its not just America - you will find many of the things we consider to be "moral" have a religious root. They have been embedded in our culture.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:49 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
No I haven't. I've seen the results of these "chastity pledges" -- STDs and high pregnancy rates.
Actually I DO have some friends who still haven't gone "all the way." To be fair though I know of some who HAVE signed those "pledges" who still engage in either oral sex or masturbation because they don't consider this to be "sex."

Old 04-22-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
While America is a secular nation today, it wasn't always such.
Irrelevant. We're not talking about a religious matter.

Quote:
You can argue till the end of time whether this nation was founded as a "Christian nation" and there is lots of evidence that go both ways on that.
The anti-Establishment clause does a good job of explaining whether this nation was founded with a single religion in mind.

Quote:
When the institution of marriage was sanctioned by the state, its intention was as a Christian institution.
I take it Jews and Muslims were not allowed to get married?

Quote:
Thats why to this day you don't have polygamy in America. And its not just America - you will find many of the things we consider to be "moral" have a religious root. They have been embedded in our culture.
I find many of the things America is founded on to have an Enlightenment root.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPalms View Post
Your "God" created homosexuals, let your mind figure out the rest!!
God didn't create homosexuals. Homosexuality is a result of fallen man. Its a sexual sin, one VERY addictive, and difficult to overcome. It may feel as though one was born that way, but its a lot more complicated than that. I could get into it but I dont want to derail this thread anymore than it already is. Even if one was born that way, it still doesn't make it God's will. What about autism and MD? They aren't God's will either and are a result of a corrupted world.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
God didn't create homosexuals.
When did the Judeo-Christian God stop being the creator of everything?

Quote:
Homosexuality is a result of fallen man.
Again, part of God's creation, unless you think that God wasn't aware of the almost immediate fall of man and its consequences prior to creating Adam and Eve.

Quote:
Its a sexual sin, one VERY addictive, and difficult to overcome.
What the heck do you know about it?

Quote:
It may feel as though one was born that way, but its a lot more complicated than that.
Do tell. I'd love to see what insight you have into who I am.

Quote:
I could get into it but I dont want to derail this thread anymore than it already is. Even if one was born that way, it still doesn't make it God's will.
Nice attempt at backpedaling "just in case". If someone is born gay how is it not God's will? It's certainly not a matter of free will. What other will is there?

Quote:
What about autism and MD? They aren't God's will either and are a result of a corrupted world.
Really? So only good things like successful careers, pretty people, and lottery winnings are God's will? Who created this corrupted world?

Old 04-22-2008, 10:10 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
trnmeon, I know I'm going to sound like a typical liberal Yankee pansy here, but I'm sending a cyber hug your way. At age 21 I feel your pain. When I was 18 I was standing at the side of a bridge in my area preparing to surrender my soul into oblivion due to the incessant feelings of self-deprecation, shame, guilt, and depression spawned by parents who nearly disowned me for not conforming to their idealized Stepford version of a "perfect son." My ex-boyfriend and I carried on a clandestine relationship for nearly a year before my parents finally caught on. We would go to extreme measures to see one another. He'd drive from his home about a half-hour away up to Scranton, park on the top floor of a parkade in a car with tinted windows and wait for my arrival. I'd then park right next to him, quickly hop into his passenger seat, and we'd speed off back down to his neck of the woods. Things were going wonderfully until one fateful night when I "slipped up" and left both of our movie stubs in my coat pocket---the very same pocket my mother, who disrespects privacy, rooted through. Ordinarily I'd be able to fabricate a way out of it, but the stub was from a movie theater on the NJ border, about 45 minutes away; I had no logical reason to be there, much less with another person.

All hell broke loose.

I learned that my father, a senior systems analyst, had been using spy software to track my e-mail and instant messaging activities in order to further invade my privacy. My mother carefully studied my cell phone bill sent calls list to see where I was calling. They knew I was a f*g, and they'd be damned to accept that in their otherwise perfect home on Wisteria Lane. I had to face the firing squad as my parents took turns berating me and belittling me.

DAD: "You know all the guys at work talk about all that their sons do. When my turn comes I have nothing to say. What am I supposed to say? He has good grades?"

MOM: "Don't you care about what other people think about us as parents when they see you out in public the way you are?"

DAD: "What do you plan on telling your grandmother about this?"

After some more back-and-forth backlash I finally started sobbing and said "I wish I was dead already."

DAD: "Well if that's what you want then I'll take you out back and shoot you myself."

This came in addition to being bullied by a few people at school (PA is still in the Dark Ages in terms of homophobia), and having to endure the embarrassment of having my straight crush finding out about me from a note I had left on his windshield because the one "confidant" I told blabbed about it to half the school and I felt as if the only "dignified" thing I could do would be to let him know about from me first before he heard it through hearsay. This also came on the heels of losing my job.

Needless to say to this day my faith in God has never been fully healed. I'm still very depressed. I haven't been on a vacation in years. I've never regained the respect for my parents that I lost when this all erupted back in 2005. I'm downright miserable in life right now, and having to constantly DEFEND myself from nasty people like MamaBee certainly doesn't make things any easier.

Heterosexuals simply don't seem to be "intelligent" or "enlightened" enough to understand that sexual orientation is NOT a conscious choice. I nearly ended my life because I felt like a chronic sinner for being unable to change who I was and still am. Straight people can't name the moment when they "turned straight." It just came naturally for them. Why then is it assumed that it is any DIFFERENT for gay people? I personally can't wait for the day until scientific research FINALLY explains what causes the determination of one's sexual orientation so I can jump all around saying "told ya so", "told ya so", "told ya so" in a very condascending tone.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:13 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,138 times
Quote:
God didn't create homosexuals. Homosexuality is a result of fallen man. Its a sexual sin, one VERY addictive, and difficult to overcome. It may feel as though one was born that way, but its a lot more complicated than that. I could get into it but I dont want to derail this thread anymore than it already is. Even if one was born that way, it still doesn't make it God's will. What about autism and MD? They aren't God's will either and are a result of a corrupted world.
I am a gay Christian and yes my God...the same God that you worship created me. He created me gay, I am not the result of fallen man.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:15 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,859,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trnmeon View Post

Because quite frankly, as a gay man, I don't think it's the governments right to tell me who I can and can't marry. Whether I chose to be gay, or am biologically just attracted to other men, my personal life choices are just that, mine. And as a tax payer and contributer to society, I resent that a book written 2,000 years ago by men which led to a religion that I don't even subscribe to, is used as justification to deny me equal rights.
You are not being denied equal rights. You have the same rights as any adult is this country. You want special rights.

If this country legalizes people of the same sex to marry, they must also allow son's to marry their mothers and brothers and sisters to marry. It is the same thing. Also if 7 people want to marry, that should be allowed to, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies