Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2008, 10:17 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
You are not being denied equal rights. You have the same rights as any adult is this country. You want special rights.

If this country legalizes people of the same sex to marry, they must also allow son's to marry their mothers and brothers and sisters to marry. It is the same thing. Also if 7 people want to marry, that should be allowed to, no?
The slippery slope argument AGAIN??!! YAWN!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 10:19 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,970,405 times
Quote:
You are not being denied equal rights. You have the same rights as any adult is this country. You want special rights.
Nope. Not at all. Every adult in this country should be able to marry another adult of the same sex if they so choose. This would end discrimination based on gender. That's equal rights.

Quote:
If this country legalizes people of the same sex to marry, they must also allow son's to marry their mothers
Sure, let's make it biblical: Eve and her boys.

Quote:
and brothers and sisters to marry. It is the same thing. Also if 7 people want to marry, that should be allowed to, no?
Sure, why the heck not?

Old 04-22-2008, 10:20 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,140,296 times
Quote:
If this country legalizes people of the same sex to marry, they must also allow son's to marry their mothers and brothers and sisters to marry. It is the same thing. Also if 7 people want to marry, that should be allowed to, no?
No, not especially.

Next they might let negroes marry whites! What an abomination!

(Oh, they already allow that? Well, what's next?!?!)

Old 04-22-2008, 10:31 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,138 times
Quote:

Please explain what these "special rights" we are asking for are...

Old 04-22-2008, 10:42 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Heterosexuals simply don't seem to be "intelligent" or "enlightened" enough to understand that sexual orientation is NOT a conscious choice. I nearly ended my life because I felt like a chronic sinner for being unable to change who I was and still am. Straight people can't name the moment when they "turned straight." It just came naturally for them. Why then is it assumed that it is any DIFFERENT for gay people? I personally can't wait for the day until scientific research FINALLY explains what causes the determination of one's sexual orientation so I can jump all around saying "told ya so", "told ya so", "told ya so" in a very condascending tone.
Homosexual tendencies are not a choice, but how you respond to them is. The biggest lie of the devil that is destroying Christianity today is the lie that just because something feels good for you and accepted in culture that its OK with God and suddenly not sinful. To be honest, I wish it wasn't this way. I wish there was some way to explain away Leviticus 18:22, Romans 1, and 1 Corinthians 6, but being a Christian is about living for Christ and according to His plan, not what YOU want.

Matthew 16:24 - Then Jesus told his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, let him(A) deny himself and(B) take up his cross and follow me.

Last edited by bchris02; 04-22-2008 at 10:53 PM..

Old 04-22-2008, 11:00 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,859,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Please explain what these "special rights" we are asking for are...
All adult men and women may marry the opposite sex.

A "special right" is to change the laws for same sexes to marry. Or to change the law for a man to marry his mother, a sister to marry her brother, a group of 13 men and women to marry, etc.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:15 PM

200 posts, read 121,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Homosexual tendencies are not a choice, but how you respond to them is. The biggest lie of the devil that is destroying Christianity today is the lie that just because something feels good for you and accepted in culture that its OK with God and suddenly not sinful. To be honest, I wish it wasn't this way. I wish there was some way to explain away Leviticus 18:22, Romans 1, and 1 Corinthians 6, but being a Christian is about living for Christ and according to His plan, not what YOU want.

Matthew 16:24 - Then Jesus told his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, let him(A) deny himself and(B) take up his cross and follow me.
You think your personal beliefs have any say in government legislature? They don't - there's no evidence to suggest your god, or anything in your bible is historically accurate.

In fact, there's more evidence to suggest it's nothing but a fraudulent book full of lies, contradictions, and errors. No one cares what you personally believe.

I can't believe Christians actually think they're in a position to effect legislature. If the founding fathers knew the role religion has played in recent politics, they would be disgusted.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:25 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,140,296 times
Quote:
A "special right" is to change the laws for same sexes to marry. Or to change the law for a man to marry his mother, a sister to marry her brother, a group of 13 men and women to marry, etc.
Let's try this one more time.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:28 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trnmeon View Post
I can't believe Christians actually think they're in a position to effect legislature. If the founding fathers knew the role religion has played in recent politics, they would be disgusted.
No, the founding fathers would be disgusted at the moral condition of our country today. Back in the days of the founding fathers, people had morals and ethics. People believed in something greater than themselves be it Christianity, deism, or whatever. They didn't need Christianity in government to define what was good and evil, it was pretty much understood. If sexual promuscuity was to occur it had to be in private and nobody could know. Today, its everywhere. Our entire culture from movies to music to books is all about sexual hedonism.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:00 AM

200 posts, read 121,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
No, the founding fathers would be disgusted at the moral condition of our country today. Back in the days of the founding fathers, people had morals and ethics. People believed in something greater than themselves be it Christianity, deism, or whatever. They didn't need Christianity in government to define what was good and evil, it was pretty much understood. If sexual promuscuity was to occur it had to be in private and nobody could know. Today, its everywhere. Our entire culture from movies to music to books is all about sexual hedonism.
Why do Christians often make assertions with no evidence to back it up? I mean, if you're going to try to argue a subject, atleast get it right.

"As the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion..." According to the Treaty of Tripoli, Article 11, 1797.

So now homosexuality is "evil"? If you think homosexuality is evil, you clearly haven't read the bible from cover to cover. If you had, you'd know your god is a jealous, hypocritical, delusional, self-absorbed, murderous, racist, sexist, narcissistic, psychotic, baby killing, contradictory individual.

Clearly, the Old and New Testaments are neither a moral code or historically accurate accounts of the past, but rather bizarre and evil traditions, used as propoganda, of what was culturally acceptable behavior during the time they were written.

Religion is nothing but a control mechanism, originally put in place to control the masses - the ideology went something like this: keep people fearful, ignorant (every scientific assertion the bible has made has been wrong), and to follow tradition.

The fact that you actually, truly, wholeheartedly believe that you can actually push your definition of "morality" and "ethics" onto everyone, despite the fact that many reject your beliefs, is not only arrogant, but a completely astounding act of egomanicism.

But then again, from my experience, that's most Christians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies