Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 06:39 AM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I don't know, if it got that bad I'd probably want to start looking for another line of work or move elsewhere.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/apos...100032453.html
This is a yahoo click bait piece not representative of any but a small % of teachers. (I'm sure we could dig up another young history teacher making 30k that just had to go to Brown or whatnot and has 150k in student loans as another example.)

What's next? A sob story about Johnny Depps financial woes and how lead actors just can't make it on 30million a year these days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 06:46 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,137,912 times
So many of y'all on this thread have near zero respect for these people who are shaping our future. Even if you don't have kids, the kids they're teaching will be our leaders one day. It's in society's best interest to pay them well, not to mention a job that requires a college education should pay more. So many of these comments lead me to believe that you have no idea how difficult the job is.

Old 09-14-2018, 06:48 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,439,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
So many of y'all on this thread have near zero respect for these people who are shaping our future. Even if you don't have kids, the kids they're teaching will be our leaders one day. It's in society's best interest to pay them well, not to mention a job that requires a college education should pay more. So many of these comments lead me to believe that you have no idea how difficult the job is.
She gets paid plenty for where she lives. She's just irresponsible.

Old 09-14-2018, 06:51 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
My cousin is a teacher. I do not know his exact salary, but it is decent. During the summer- when he is not working as a teacher- he works a job at a pool and makes extra cash.

He has a handsome pension plan, great healthcare, and free daycare. Did I mention his union?

I do not expect to see him driving a Ferrari, but it is clear that he is doing fine.

Old 09-14-2018, 06:54 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times
If you are teaching - which by all accounts provides a middle class income - and you have to donate plasma to make ends meet - then you are doing something wrong. KEEP YOUR COSTS DOWN. And you're probably not smart enough to be teaching, I might add. Well, I just did.

Old 09-14-2018, 06:59 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,841,160 times
What they don't say is that they work 3 part time jobs.(or 1 full time) the others part time. So? Many Americans do that. It's called making a living.

Get rid of your Iphones, Ipads and all the unnecessary things you feel you (or your kid thinks they) "just have to have it".

Old 09-14-2018, 07:01 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,439,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
If you are teaching - which by all accounts provides a middle class income - and you have to donate plasma to make ends meet - then you are doing something wrong. KEEP YOUR COSTS DOWN. And you're probably not smart enough to be teaching, I might add. Well, I just did.
That's all this story is about. This woman and her family are over spending and living above their means. I bet they have a 5 bedroom 2 1/2 bath house, in ground salt pool, 2 car garage, 2 new SUV's, everyone in house has a new iPhone and iPad, every room has a 60 inch 4k TV, the best TV and internet package, kids get whatever they want, etc. Not to mention that they are most likely paying for expensive colleges for their kids and all that other fluff. How much does anyone want to bet this is the reality of the situation?

Old 09-14-2018, 07:45 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Hmm, 70K isn't a living wage?

Let the daughter figure out her own college situation.
I agree that $70,000 is a living wage and the teacher making that salary shouldn't have to skip doctor's appointments or whatever.

Now if we are talking about those teachers still making $40,000 after years of teaching that is a whole different story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
People in the college forum: "I don't care about making a lot of money. I just love to teach."

People in the employment forum: "OMG!!! Why do we get paid so little? It's unfair."

People in the politics forum: "Blame republicans/democrats.".
Best post in the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
And why doesn’t your company provide pensions. Why take away teachers pensions just because you don’t have one. Time for you to find another job
Most companies no longer provide actual pensions. Those went the way of the dodo bird about 20 years ago. 401K's have taken their place, sadly. So, yes, teachers should factor in the cost of pensions to their yearly pay because most people don't have them.

Old 09-14-2018, 07:57 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I don't know, if it got that bad I'd probably want to start looking for another line of work or move elsewhere.
It's a BS article.

Those people are living far above their means and mired in debt.

If you live in Los Angeles and earn $100,000 annually, you can have the exact same Life-Style in Lexington, Kentucky with only $65,000.

Except she lives in Versailles, which is a little less, so she could get buy on $60,000 or so.

Given the pay-scale, she'd be making close to $50,000 and her and her husband should be able to easily make it on that alone.

Except the article implies he works, too, and he's probably earning $40,000 or more, so they're actually "rich."

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
The majority spend their own money for classroom supplies because the school nor the parents supply them.
Then those teachers need to alter their course of instruction so that it doesn't require supplies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
It's in society's best interest to pay them well, not to mention a job that requires a college education should pay more.
In many countries, teachers do not have college degrees, and some are paid less than $80/month.

In Burkina Faso, the teacher, who had only one semester of college, came round to the village twice a week for half a day. The kids could read, write and speak their language, plus two other tribal languages, plus French and English, and were proficient in math.

A lot of American kids can't even read and write English, and math is out of the question.

The cost of private schools in India varies, but the most expensive, and also the best-rated only charges $676/year per student.

Even if you factor in the huge difference in Cost-of-Living, other countries spend far less than the US on education and turn out a better product. Remember, Indians are taking your jobs, not the other way around.

Teachers might actually get some respect if they produced a superior product, and if they can't, you need to be asking why they can't, and it has nothing to do with money, so it must be something else, like unions or administration, or perhaps it's the entire system.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:06 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,116,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Teachers might actually get some respect if they produced a superior product, and if they can't, you need to be asking why they can't, and it has nothing to do with money, so it must be something else, like unions or administration, or perhaps it's the entire system.
Maybe they're too busy indoctrinating the students with their anti-American values instead of teaching them the fundementals...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies