Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 09:48 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times

Advertisements

The head of FEMA was asked about Puerto Rico and he so much as said that one death is too many, and that FEMA's goal is to provide aid in those times of crisis. He implied mistakes were made and lessons learned.

When Hayley was Governor -- she introduced the lane reversal of the major highway leading into Charleston. It was a great idea but wasn't handled properly. The state didn't communicate clearly how and when the reversal was being carried out and folks got caught on a one way road out when all they wanted to do was go home from work. There was no blame assigned, no pouting, ....they fixed it -- and next time it went smoother.

That's how you do it.

Trump could have merely said -- the report guesstimating the revised death toll is heart breaking. It is a guesstimate but it is true that any death is too many. Puerto Rico's location, infrastructure issues, made it difficult for FEMA to respond. There were important lessons learned and we will work with the Puerto Rican government to improve and be ready for future disasters.

It's not his fault. It isn't but he's reaction -- he's refusal to have the federal government accept responsibility for mistakes made because his ego is so fragile is disturbing and insensitive.

I also think he suffers from social awkwardness that renders him incapable of knowing what behavior is appropriate at this critical times.

Throwing the paper towels like it was some kind of sporting event .....was not funny or charming.
Fists pumps and silly faces as if he is heading to a rally when he is going to a somber 9/11 memorial.....

He's awkward.

For me, he lacks compassion, empathy and that means he just doesn't know how to behave or what to say...unless it is scripted for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 09:51 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
This will never happen. Ever.

To claim that the Puerto Rico death count has been deliberately increased to make Trump look bad is insanity. This goes way past disrespectful and abnormal to pathological narcissism and simply unhinged.

Trump has requested foreign workers for each of his Florida properties every year. Trump basically refuses to offer the jobs to Americans, giving a BS excuse. It is rather appalling. As long as Trump is hiring foreign workers, even though legal, he has no standing to make demands on other companies. He is talking out of both sides of his mouth and he's not credible.

"...But an analysis of hiring records for seasonal workers at three Trump properties in Florida and New York by the news organization Vox found that only one out of 144 jobs went to an American worker from 2016 to the end of 2017. The rest were foreign guest workers with H-2B visas, the only immigration program the president has sought to expand..."

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...#storylink=cpy

Are you aware of the costs for that 'plan'? Bad enough he gutted FEMA immediately before hurricane season to give ICE money to build more cages. And frankly, sending hundreds of ICE agents into hundreds of businesses is absurd and, I believe, an invasion of privacy and the rights of businesses to not be harassed by the government.

Better idea. Give money back to FEMA and FIX THE INFRASTRUCTURE!

This subject obviously disturbs you, but you are suggesting massive government overreach and tactics that Russia and dictatorships use. Being obsessed with illegal immigration which has steadily decreased, when there are so many bigger problems in this country, is just impractical and a waste of time. I live in a very diverse area and illegal immigration as an issue crosses my radar like....never.
I liked your posts, except the last one....government overreach, no, not when those laws are already on the books...absolutely not. And its not a Russian dictatorship to obey laws....they started this many many years ago, ignoring the laws for specific rich people, so they could hire illegals and pay them next to nothing. Then movie stars hired them, and the laws were ignored for convenience.

Illegal Immigration is wrong, for many many reasons....it opens the doors to undesirables who do not wish to work, and be a part of our community, which in fact, spoils it for those who do want to...you cannot ignore laws and not have a break down in society...which is what is happening.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
The head of FEMA was asked about Puerto Rico and he so much as said that one death is too many, and that FEMA's goal is to provide aid in those times of crisis. He implied mistakes were made and lessons learned.

When Hayley was Governor -- she introduced the lane reversal of the major highway leading into Charleston. It was a great idea but wasn't handled properly. The state didn't communicate clearly how and when the reversal was being carried out and folks got caught on a one way road out when all they wanted to do was go home from work. There was no blame assigned, no pouting, ....they fixed it -- and next time it went smoother.

That's how you do it.

Trump could have merely said -- the report guesstimating the revised death toll is heart breaking. It is a guesstimate but it is true that any death is too many. Puerto Rico's location, infrastructure issues, made it difficult for FEMA to respond. There were important lessons learned and we will work with the Puerto Rican government to improve and be ready for future disasters.

It's not his fault. It isn't but he's reaction -- he's refusal to have the federal government accept responsibility for mistakes made because his ego is so fragile is disturbing and insensitive.

I also think he suffers from social awkwardness that renders him incapable of knowing what behavior is appropriate at this critical times.

Throwing the paper towels like it was some kind of sporting event .....was not funny or charming.
Fists pumps and silly faces as if he is heading to a rally when he is going to a somber 9/11 memorial.....

He's awkward.

For me, he lacks compassion, empathy and that means he just doesn't know how to behave or what to say...unless it is scripted for him.
yes, Trump does lack empathy and compassion, and yes, it must be scripted for him and even then, he doesn't do well, every time he opens his mouth, millions of people cringe. Trump represents us, those who voted for him.

I'm going to say this once again, b/c it's true. I worked for a man who was just like Trump, and with all his faults, he had many good points as well....and so does Trump....

he'll never win a popularity contest, although he wants to, sad....but I'm sitting back and watching, to see, if he simply is trying to pacify his voters, by doing a little here and a little there, b/c he knows people were sick and tired of our leaders in the past. Which is the only reason he was voted in....

and his total display of the PR deaths, made me very angry, b/c I knew what the truth was....and you saw how the media was lying about their electric being up and running, but it is true, they have got bad leaders.

and speaking of hurricanes, it goes beyond my comprehension, that time after time areas are devastated by hurrricanes, our government needs to pass a law, that when a house in a hurricane prone area is destroyed by a hurricane, the only way it can be rebuilt is by using concrete blocks and mortar.

I saw a beach front home that was hit by Floyde, and the only damage was the roof....the rest of the house was still standing. There is no way a wood house can stand up to these kinds of hurricanes any longer. It's got to stop, b/c this is becoming costly.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:58 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
[quote=cremebrulee;53083663]yes, Trump does lack empathy and compassion, and yes, it must be scripted for him and even then, he doesn't do well, every time he opens his mouth, millions of people cringe. Trump represents us, those who voted for him.

I'm going to say this once again, b/c it's true. I worked for a man who was just like Trump, and with all his faults,

he had many good points as well....and so does Trump....

What ARE these good points? Please share...

Old 09-14-2018, 10:00 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I don't have a Twitter account and never will. Will Trump and Elon Musk, I basically tune out what comes out of their mouths. All that matters to me is their results.

And I completely satisfied with what happened in Puerto Rico after Maria. That island is a mismanaged mess and needs some white people running it.

And I just don't understand why the Puerto Rican people aren't completely appalled and disgusted with how their own politicians have run their island into the ground. However many people died in the aftermath of the storm is result of how the island has been run for many decades. Obama wouldn't have done any better, nor FEMA under his watch. After all, look at the mess that Chicago still is after eight years of Obama plus the six years before when he was an Illinois senator. So in fourteen years, Obama did nothing to improve the crimeridden sections of Chicago with all the black on black violence. So how could anyone think that Obama or Hillary would have taken better care of Puerto Rico in the aftermath of Hurricane Maria????Puerto Rico has got to deal with all those remote shantytowns on their island and improve the living conditions there. And to make sure that their power grid is upgraded and maintained. But at least it's improved after the storm repairs by the mainlanders.
Overlooking the sheer racist intent of your comment, what you are suggesting is called 'colonialism.'

And it is irrelevant and beside the point, as Puerto Rico is run by white people.

Old 09-14-2018, 10:07 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Puerto Rico did have serious infrastructure issues before the hurricane that added to the complexity of providing aid after the hurricane. It is what it is.

But there is no doubt that the USA government/FEMA was not as prepared for Puerto Rico's challenges. Guess what? There job is to be ready.....we expect that.

Trump could easily acknowledge that the unique challenges of Puerto Rico made it difficult to provide the kind of response that Americans are use to. That FEMA and the federal government had never really addressed these issues and the problems that would arise if a major hurricane hit.

The number of deaths is not worth bickering about and to suggest it is some kind of Democratic plot to make him look bad makes the President look petty and not willing to acknowledge reality.

So much is made about the difficult of getting aid, etc...and yet we watched live and as it happened celebrities getting planes of supplies to the island....celebrity chefs traveling the island providing hot meals.....and Trump refuses to acknwoledge that FEMA was not prepared.

Mistakes happen, things are overlooked....what matters is how we move forward. Trump's fragile ego won't let him look at the situation honestly. He's too worried about himself and how it makes him look -- and not enough about how many people actually died.
And the Puerto Rico government AND their people living in Hurricane Alley also had an obligation to be ready and have emergency preparedness plans for a direct storm hit such as Maria!! It's not as if a storm hit like that was unexpected or a rare occurrence.

So I don't see Puerto Rican evaluating THEIR response to Hurricane Maria, I only hear complaints about Trump and FEMA coming from them.

FEMA works best when they are able to coordinate with the state and local emergency management and response teams. Puerto Rico had none of that, and it's their responsibility to fix that void. If Puerto Ricans do nothing to create emergency storm hit plans, then the next big storm hit will only have the same results of having hundreds and even thousands of storm-related deaths... no matter if the GOP or the Democrats are in power on the mainland.

Old 09-14-2018, 10:08 AM

12,962 posts, read 13,673,944 times
He has people around him who will make him feel good about whatever statements he makes. He has always had these people around him before he was President. Calling the 60+ deaths a success was in poor taste especially so quickly during the aftermath. He cant apologize or admit his error, we know that is not in his DNA, so he blames democrats for trying to "make him look bad." His people soak it up, another body lying dead on 5th avenue IMO.

Old 09-14-2018, 10:09 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,769,934 times
Trump rejects reality and substitutes his own.

Old 09-14-2018, 10:09 AM

[quote=greatblueheron;53083706]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yes, Trump does lack empathy and compassion, and yes, it must be scripted for him and even then, he doesn't do well, every time he opens his mouth, millions of people cringe. Trump represents us, those who voted for him.

I'm going to say this once again, b/c it's true. I worked for a man who was just like Trump, and with all his faults,

he had many good points as well....and so does Trump....

What ARE these good points? Please share...
He has done a lot of what he promised to do....

he has taken a tough stands with Russia.

He recognized Jerusalem as Israel’s capital. Four American presidents promised to do it, but he is the only one did.

He put into place a historic tax and regulatory reform that has given us economic growth.

Our 401(k's) have been doing very well

Trump has taken a very strong stand against the narco-dictatorship in Venezuela, and he renamed the “Asia-Pacific” the “Indo-Pacific” to include India in the larger task of preventing Chinese domination in Asia.
He has also made clear his willingness to force North Korea from using nuclear weapons.

Just some of the things, he has done....he is the first president that has taken a stands against China.

Now, he also promised to do something for our military Vets, which needs to be addressed, Still Waiting.

Old 09-14-2018, 10:10 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,635,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
As a lot of you on this forum know, I voted for Trump, and I still believe he is in fact doing some very good things for America but I am not sold on him as of yet.

Especially b/c I know a gal whose family lives in PR, and grew very angry when he made the comments he made about PR. Those people suffered and paid dearly...

Trump needs to learn, to either get his facts straight or keep his mouth shut before making comments on something he knows nothing about.

Also, didn't like the way he was throwing paper towels at those people, making a big joke about it, it wasn't funny. Many many people died....

I'm not crazy about how he is fixing the problem of illegals....it's got to change, he's got to get them out of this country, and I honestly do not care what their nationality is, or religion is, if your illegal, you've got to become a citizen or be thrown out.

The only reason they are still here is b/c thousands of companies have been reaping the benefits of hiring them.

If Trump really wanted to get rid of them, all he'd have to do is send ICE into every single hotel cleaning staff, meat packing plants, dog food companies, restaurants and diner's kitchens, etc...they are all there...in country club kitchens, in landscaping companies, even in construction...and the irony is, you are being charged top dollar, while the owners of these companies reap the benefits of paying them terrible wages with no benefits.

It's got to stop, and be supervised and everyone in this country has to be legal citizens...b/c way too many people in this country are using them as slaves....and it's hurting us, by allowing less then reputable people in this country, plus way too many of them are living off of welfare, our tax dollars. I've worked too hard all my life, to give it all away to lazy people.

we need to thoroughly check into any one in this nation who is using food stamps and collecting welfare. Enough is enough....

In order to have a successful nation, you've got to follow the laws...and make people accountable.

Trump is not doing enough, what he's doing is fine, but he is only putting icing on the cake, so to speak....

My guess is, he is striking a deal with all these companies, so that they can continue to hire illegals.

Now before those of you who voted for him, become highly offended, back up a minute and think. Trump is no savior and no God, he is a man...and only a man.

Before those of you who didn't vote for him and jump on board, tearing him a new one, I want to remind you, that Trump has done a lot of good, so stop before making stupid remarks and one liners, and think....lets be intelligent about this and look at both sides, b/c in every situation there are two sides.

LOL, you voted for him dude, you are NOT on the fence. You made a choice, you picked the guy who sexually assaults woman, who does not pay his workers, who went bankrupt over a dozen times, who has deep ties to Russia, who hired known thugs to part of his team

You knew all this BEFORE you voted, thus you did not care about his public lying, his weak moral standing , his failure to show his tax returns etc. (dozens of clear lies during his campaign, lying about Cruz's dad murdering Kennedy is a good example of outright lying)

Trump is your guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies