Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 06:59 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Congress could collect taxes before that.
I don't understand what the 16th Amendment has to do with Chris McDaniel and his comments towards Blacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 05:06 PM

Here is some more information about Chris McDaniel: https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.1e61bedf1c38

Chris McDaniel is using the Confederate emblem as part of his campaign. He's using the "stainless banner. A bit of history about the "stainless banner".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Tappan_Thompson

Founder of the Savannah Morning News William Tappan Thompson promoted the stainless banner design of the Confederate flag, and had this to say.

"As a people, we are fighting to maintain the heaven ordained supremacy of the white man over the inferior or colored race: a white flag would thus be emblematical of our cause"

And

"While we consider the flag which has been adopted by the senate as a very decided improvement of the old United States flag, we still think the battle flag on a pure white field would be more appropriate and handsome.[3]

Such a flag would be a suitable emblem of our young confederacy, and sustained by the brave hearts and strong arms of the south, it would soon take rank among the proudest ensigns of the nations, and be hailed by the civilized world as THE WHITE MAN'S FLAG.[3]

As a people, we are fighting to maintain the Heaven-ordained supremacy of the white man over the inferior or colored race; a white flag would thus be emblematical of our cause....[sic]"

I won't attempt to hide what I feel. I HATE the Confederate flag. I know what the Confederate cause is about. It is not a coincidence that Mississippi was one of the first states to declare secession. A big slave-owning state at the time, and with the desire to keep slavery being a major reason why the South wanted secession, the Confederate flag represents the Confederate cause.

As for Chris McDaniel, this lets you know who he is appealing to. This is likely the reason for his comments about Blacks. He isn't interested in having Blacks vote for him. He is appealing to that Old South way of thinking that can be found in Mississippi. He is appealing to those who have resentment towards Blacks. I think he pines for the days when Mississippi was Jim Crow.

Old 10-01-2018, 05:43 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,094,590 times
Not trying to be ironic but I think Black Americans would be well suited for the fishing industry. Not those huge boats where it's a floating processing plant but more like in Forest Gump.

Old 10-01-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
Not trying to be ironic but I think Black Americans would be well suited for the fishing industry. Not those huge boats where it's a floating processing plant but more like in Forest Gump.
What does this have to do with the subject at hand? And why is this comment even necessary?

Old 10-01-2018, 06:12 PM

858 posts, read 424,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post

Posts like this are the reason I keep coming back to this forum LOL!

Old 10-01-2018, 09:30 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,582,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Lol, that's not even close to true . You do not have to pay a worker what they are valued , you only need to pay them what the market dictates .

Sorry, but the workers "value" IS what the market dictates as pay.

Old 10-01-2018, 11:07 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
If Chris McDaniel wants Black people to vote for him, then he is going about it the wrong way. He can appeal to Black voters by seeking common ground with Black Americans. A large majority of Black Americans are church goers. He can start there. Mike Huckabee did that and he did nicely among Black voters. Instead, McDaniel goes about that line of "Black people want free stuff". A majority of Black people aren't looking for free stuff. For that reason, assuming that all Black people want free stuff will not win over Black voters. Unless of course, that is the point with McDaniel, that he really isn't interested in Black voters and he's appealing to those who have a resentment towards Blacks.
McDaniel is probably working off the old Southern Strategy playbook - appeal to voters who resent Blacks.

Old 10-02-2018, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
McDaniel is probably working off the old Southern Strategy playbook - appeal to voters who resent Blacks.
His use of the Confederate flag is proving just that.

Old 10-02-2018, 05:44 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Here is some more information about Chris McDaniel: https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.1e61bedf1c38

Chris McDaniel is using the Confederate emblem as part of his campaign. He's using the "stainless banner. A bit of history about the "stainless banner".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Tappan_Thompson

Founder of the Savannah Morning News William Tappan Thompson promoted the stainless banner design of the Confederate flag, and had this to say.

"As a people, we are fighting to maintain the heaven ordained supremacy of the white man over the inferior or colored race: a white flag would thus be emblematical of our cause"

And

"While we consider the flag which has been adopted by the senate as a very decided improvement of the old United States flag, we still think the battle flag on a pure white field would be more appropriate and handsome.[3]

Such a flag would be a suitable emblem of our young confederacy, and sustained by the brave hearts and strong arms of the south, it would soon take rank among the proudest ensigns of the nations, and be hailed by the civilized world as THE WHITE MAN'S FLAG.[3]

As a people, we are fighting to maintain the Heaven-ordained supremacy of the white man over the inferior or colored race; a white flag would thus be emblematical of our cause....[sic]"

I won't attempt to hide what I feel. I HATE the Confederate flag. I know what the Confederate cause is about. It is not a coincidence that Mississippi was one of the first states to declare secession. A big slave-owning state at the time, and with the desire to keep slavery being a major reason why the South wanted secession, the Confederate flag represents the Confederate cause.

As for Chris McDaniel, this lets you know who he is appealing to. This is likely the reason for his comments about Blacks. He isn't interested in having Blacks vote for him. He is appealing to that Old South way of thinking that can be found in Mississippi. He is appealing to those who have resentment towards Blacks. I think he pines for the days when Mississippi was Jim Crow.

It's one thing to have others (that are opposed politically) paint a picture of his viewpoint.... let him speak for himself.

June 2015...

McDaniel Slams Changing State Flag

"The price we pay to live in a free society is to occasionally be offended. A cultural or historical cleansing of all things potentially offensive will do nothing to alleviate the problems caused by racism. To pretend otherwise is a disservice to serious discourse on the subject.

We must examine our hearts and not resort to placing emotional blame for problems we face on symbols such as a flag. I love all Mississippians, regardless of race or political affiliation. We are a family. But I disagree with those who use political correctness to silence differing viewpoints. I likewise believe it is in poor taste to use the tragic South Carolina massacre to promote a political agenda.

I understand, very well, both sides of the debate. Slavery is our nation's original sin, and government sanctioned discrimination is evil. As a strong proponent of individual rights, I will always defend individuals against the abuses of government and fight for liberty by insisting government's reach remain limited.

However, at the end of the day, political correctness is about power; consequently, its practitioners will never be appeased. They won't stop until dissent is crushed and tolerance of opposing viewpoints is no longer accepted. I will not be a part of such an agenda. The people of Mississippi have already decided this issue, by referendum. I will respect their wishes."

Old 10-02-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
It's one thing to have others (that are opposed politically) paint a picture of his viewpoint.... let him speak for himself.

June 2015...

McDaniel Slams Changing State Flag

"The price we pay to live in a free society is to occasionally be offended. A cultural or historical cleansing of all things potentially offensive will do nothing to alleviate the problems caused by racism. To pretend otherwise is a disservice to serious discourse on the subject.

We must examine our hearts and not resort to placing emotional blame for problems we face on symbols such as a flag. I love all Mississippians, regardless of race or political affiliation. We are a family. But I disagree with those who use political correctness to silence differing viewpoints. I likewise believe it is in poor taste to use the tragic South Carolina massacre to promote a political agenda.

I understand, very well, both sides of the debate. Slavery is our nation's original sin, and government sanctioned discrimination is evil. As a strong proponent of individual rights, I will always defend individuals against the abuses of government and fight for liberty by insisting government's reach remain limited.

However, at the end of the day, political correctness is about power; consequently, its practitioners will never be appeased. They won't stop until dissent is crushed and tolerance of opposing viewpoints is no longer accepted. I will not be a part of such an agenda. The people of Mississippi have already decided this issue, by referendum. I will respect their wishes."
This is just Chris McDaniel trying to smooth talk his way out of this. His use of the Confederate flag tells me more than his words do. The "political correctness" dog whistle term is just his way of deflecting from taking responsibility. We know what the Confederate cause is about. If you fly the Confederate flag, you support that cause. And that cause is a morally corrupt one. This is about facts.

I don't care what Chris McDaniel had to say. He's wrong. The historical facts speak for themselves. The Confederate flag represents the Confederate cause, a cause rooted in keeping slavery. Knowing that, no one should fly that flag. It has nothing to do with freedom of speech. We have freedom of speech. No one is going to be locked up for flying the Confederate flag. However, this is not about CAN. It is about SHOULD. CAN you fly the Confederate flag? The Constitution says yes. The question, and the most pertinent question is this: SHOULD you fly the Confederate flag? The answer is NO!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies